Will Disney's Support of Blu-ray make a difference in the war?

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hey guys. Just curious if you think that Disney's decision to go with Blu-ray will make any difference to the consumers. I've been lurking the formus over at blu-ray.com and those guys, OBVIOUSLY, seem to that it will be a huge difference. Just check this pic out!
bluraydisney3fm0.jpg
. Credit to Jeff over there.

I feel like it could give Blu-ray a slight push, but nothing too drastic, after all they are just disney movies and how many kids really care about HD. Their parents will make that decision and I cant seem to think that most parents would justify that cost when they can go buy the regular DVD.

Last edited:
Great! Disney is about to experience another nice loss! How many BD players out there? :D

One of the most utterly stupid animation & movie companies, I can only wish more bad things to happen them so they could probably morph into some viable company. SInce they ousted that criminal Eisner they moved but still, they are moving like one step ahead two back... Apart from their great bisexual Caribbean pirate series and some OK-animation movies they don't count for me. Buying Pixar was the biggest sarcastic joke, the perfect example how craptastic Disney is...

Last edited:
For me, Fox is a much bigger draw to BR than any Disney title. Disney is rumored to be considering going neutral, but I wouldn't make that bet anytime soon.

Either way, I'm happy with what I have right now, and don't really have the means to support both formats at the moment. Plus, Sony's BR player keep getting pushed back (now to 12/10/06 or so).

I wouldn't buy any of those Disney titles you mentioned, but there are a few Buena Vista titles I would buy if they were available on HD-DVD (or BR, if I had a player).

-John

They'll cave to HD DVD if it becomes apparent that it is failing to grab enough market share...

Remember when everyone was so afraid that their support of Divx would turn the tide against that which we simply now call DVD?

They wanted to make us buy discs that evaporated after a few days of use. As any of us with kids knows..... they will play these things FOREVER. Expiration dates is not an option... As for BluRay, the PS3 will decide things..... If people buy discs for the BluRay players they may win this thing. If, as I expect them to do, the teens and 20 somethings only use it for games, then it will make like PSP movies and die off...

For me, Fox is a much bigger draw to BR than any Disney title. Disney is rumored to be considering going neutral, but I wouldn't make that bet anytime soon.

I think this is the key post. More people will adopt a format over Star Wars than will do so to up their kids viewing quality. How many people do you all know who have bought Star Wars Episode 4 over 5 times now. I know folks that bought VHS, then the original time compressed laserdisc, then the uncompressed one, then the letterboxed one, then the CAV one, then the definitive edition, then the THX edition and finally the DVD set!

I remember an Eisner quote from the mid '80s. He was asked if he worried that video release was going to kill his 7 year cycle strategy. He replied that he wasn't worried because all those tapes would be junk by the time they were released again and that laserdisc was too niche a market to worry about. Now obviously, the DVD releases changed the rules somewhat, but it seems that by adding features and "improved" transfers to each subsequent release, they are managing to get a pretty good percentage of upsell for the new release. That would be a telling statistic whether people care about ultimate quality on a "kids" movie.

I think a regular disney DVD going through an upconvert player looks just great -- I see a greater need for -- as someone else stated -- Stars Wars to be in HD vs. a computer animated disney film that IMO already looks very nice via upconvert --

Neither Fox nor Disney supported DVD format when it first launched. This was frustrating, but in the end it didn't matter: it wasn't enough to kill the format. These companies are paranoid about copy protection and always support the most secure format. However, they will follow the money and will jump ship in no time if the other format gains momentum.

Great! Disney is about to experience another nice loss! How many BD players out there? :D

One of the most utterly stupid animation & movie companies, I can only wish more bad things to happen them so they could probably morph into some viable company. SInce they ousted that criminal Eisner they moved but still, they are moving like one step ahead two back... Apart from their great bisexual Caribbean pirate series and some OK-animation movies they don't count for me. Buying Pixar was the biggest sarcastic joke, the perfect example how craptastic Disney is...

You crack me up man!:up I agree, wholeheartedly!

No one is jumping ship till the party gets going. And that will not happen till next spring at the earliest. All the hoping, praying, crooning, bad talking, BSing will not make anything happen any faster.

Business is business. Those companies alinged in the HD-DVD camps and the BluRay camps have investment in the formats they are backing. Bottom line is that when all the cards are played out then we will begin to see where everything falls out. That will be at least a year or two down the road.

Discussions about 'they might', 'they will follow the money', ' they are stupid' right now is pretty much juvenile. Unless someone here in this post owns a multi-million dollar company or runs one I don't believe that your postering and badmouthing one format over the other is very productive.

Bottom line is that the new players from both camps are going to be expensive. Both the new Toshiba sporting HDMI 1.3 and the new Sony are both going to be $1000. Only the $499 Toshiba that will not do 1080p nor have HDMI and the PS3 that is supposed to be a gaming machine will dance below the $500 mark.

Here is the reality, until there is considerably more competition the prices are not going to go down. If they do not go down there will be no mass market penetration. $499 is not mass market penetration. These new HD players from both camps have to get under the $250 mark to start making inroads in to the consumers hands. The titles need to get under the $25 dollar mark and there needs to be more refinements to the players from both camps.

Guys, we are still in the early adopter stage of HD movie viewing at home. Early adoption does not come and go in six months, it usually takes 1 1/2 to 3 years before we can begin to say that someone purchasing these new technologies are not early adopters.

Heck it took HDTVs 6 years here in the states before it started becoming mainstream and the HDTV market is only about 18% of all tvs in the USA. How about we cool our jets and enjoy all the new technology coming out and hope for great competiton and lower prices?

T2k, your BSing about Disney oviously shows you are at a true loss at understanding business. Disney is one of the richest studios and companies in the world. Their theme parks are number one and take in BILLIONS of dollars every year. Every movie PIXAR has done has not only made over $500 million in the box office but also have brought in over $1 billion dollars in sales of DVDs and licensed toys and games -- INDIVIDUALLY!! No one studio making any kind of movies has shown that kind of money making ability in the history of movies -- period!

Disney always goes up and down, if they are not making millions on a decision then they are losing millions and moving on to the next decision that makes them millions more. T2k, you should be so lucky in life to own stock in a company like
Disney that upholds family traditions, decent story telling, good family fun. And whose stock has made millionares of those smart enough to buy in and leave it there.

The only reason stocks are down now is the drag out fight between Walt Disney's brother and Harold Eisner for control of the company. This has been going on for over 4 years. And still those stupid theme parks keep raking in the money. Man, T2k, I am sure you have a better idea on how to make money-- right?

No one is jumping ship till the party gets going. And that will not happen till next spring at the earliest. All the hoping, praying, crooning, bad talking, BSing will not make anything happen any faster...
Not sure who you are replying to, but since you quoted some of my words, I will respond. ;)

The topic of this thread is whether Disney's support of Blu-ray will make a difference in the war. My opinion (that I expressed above) is that support of Disney (and even Fox) as important as it is, alone is not sufficient to decide the outcome of the war. There will be many other factors that will affect the outcome. And to prove that statement I made a reference to the previous video format war (DVD vs. DIVX) which took place about ten years ago. In that war Disney, Fox, Paramount (as well as BlockBuster, CircuitCity and others) supported DIVX, which lost nevertheless. This shows that support of Disney and Fox alone is not sufficient to decide the format war. Other factors are more important. (Note, that I am not saying who will win this time: I am just responding to the question of the thread. ;) )

That will be at least a year or two down the road.
Could be. However, it didn't take two years last time. The DIVX camp surrendered (and jumped ship) within just a few months, long before the DVD prices came down.

How about we cool our jets and enjoy all the new technology coming out and hope for great competiton and lower prices?
Again, not sure who exactly you are appealing to.
My impression is that most of us here are indeed enjoying the new technology, while you and T2k are fighting! :D

My point of this thread was not who will win/lose, it was exactly what I posted and I thank you all for not flaming, especially since you all know that I am more a supported of Blu-ray over HDDVD, but both have benefits.

About the Star Wars comment. I actually, 100% agree with you on that. I'd rather see A New Hope, Return or the Jedi, or Attack of the Clones any day over a disney movie, and if I had the choice I'd pick StarWars over Disney any day. If I'm not mistaken Lucasfilm is part of 20th century Fox right? And FOX is not producing movies in HDDVD from what I have read, though I may have read an older article. But Star Wars on any format would be great in HD

About the Star Wars comment. I actually, 100% agree with you on that. I'd rather see A New Hope, Return or the Jedi, or Attack of the Clones any day over a disney movie, and if I had the choice I'd pick StarWars over Disney any day. If I'm not mistaken Lucasfilm is part of 20th century Fox right? And FOX is not producing movies in HDDVD from what I have read, though I may have read an older article. But Star Wars on any format would be great in HD

Just wait there will be an initial release of Star Wars, but it will be messed up in some way, perhaps 16:9 instead of OAR. Then a few years later you will be able to buy it again, perhaps with some newly enhanced scenes... Then a few years later there will be a special collectors edition with OAR and original movies, but will have a poorly compressed soundtrack... Then a few years later you will be able to get the new uncompressed soundtrack, OAR and original movie... just in time for the new UHD format to come out offering 3840x2160 resolution and it will start all over again!

I have a family and I am a Grandfather. I will tell you that as far as my Grandson's parents are concerned -- where Disney goes they will follow. My wife and I had the same feelings when our daughters were kids. Disney always got the pick when they were small. Go into anyone's house who has small children and who collect movies and Disney movies will be a mainstay of their DVD library.

Now as for wheather or not that would be enough to swing a new home theater owner over to BluRay is a very good question. A $1000 dollars is alot to spend on the kiddie's entertainment. However, for an adult who is building a decent Home Theater system the price might not be too high. But to the average family who might just now be looking into a low cost HDTV that price is too high. Heck, $500 is too high. So, just Disney alone is not enough to get these people to jump into the BluRay camp.

However, if Disney and Fox together only make BluRay titles and Sony starts turning out some decent movies (they have already stated that a 50GB 'The Fifth Element' is coming out) that would make families move towards BluRay.

I think that there are those here who are hoping that Disney and FOX jump over to the HD-DVD camp because they can see the handwritting on the wall. When the family starts seeing the Disney and Fox titles out only in BluRAy then the question will be will that also be coming out on HD-DVD? If the answer is no I believe that then they will begin looking at BluRay. And if it just so happens that the PS3 is in stock at the time what do you think they are going to be looking at? A system that plays games for the kids during the day and HD movies for mom and dad at night. I can't believe that the HD-DVD camp right now is looking forward to that day.

Last edited:
Disney backed the wrong horse the last time around when they pushed Divx over DVD. Two to three YEARS after DVD was released was the time when Disney released their first disc (and it was the mediocre Mighty Joe Young remake --- the good cartoons didn't hit for another two years).

I think they are doing the same here..... NextGen DVD won't take off until it equals DVD in price and more people have displays capable of seeing the difference. There will be a TON of cutrate LCD TV deals this Black Friday so even more people will become HD capable, but I still think critical mass for either format will be in about a year.

Hoever, if Sony pooches the PS3 timetable (ie. only ships 250-400K of units by Christmas, with a steady supply being unavailable until April), then I think HD DVD may gain enough traction to grab a two thirds market share. If THAT happens, Blu Ray could be abandoned by studios faster than rats off a sinking ship....

I think BluRay has underestimated the appeal of hybrid disks that work on both HD sets as well as those minivan DVD players so many people have installed now... I was going to sit out the format wars for another year or so, but I'll make the jump to the $199 XBox 360 player when it comes out. Superman Returns on HD DVD should look REAL good on my HDTV AND my kid can watch it in the car on a long driving trip... Try THAT with BluRay....

T2k, your BSing about Disney oviously shows you are at a true loss at understanding business.

ROFLMAO, please, Joe, please tell us about business - after all you wholeheartedly support Sony and its business practices, you must know what business means!:D

Disney is one of the richest studios and companies in the world. Their theme parks are number one and take in BILLIONS of dollars every year. Every movie PIXAR has done has not only made over $500 million in the box office but also have brought in over $1 billion dollars in sales of DVDs and licensed toys and games -- INDIVIDUALLY!! No one studio making any kind of movies has shown that kind of money making ability in the history of movies -- period!

Disney always goes up and down, if they are not making millions on a decision then they are losing millions and moving on to the next decision that makes them millions more. T2k, you should be so lucky in life to own stock in a company like
Disney that upholds family traditions, decent story telling, good family fun. And whose stock has made millionares of those smart enough to buy in and leave it there.

Your ignorant, blind, clueless mumblings are always priceless - why don't you READ before you post utter crap like this? :rolleyes:

About Disneylands:
The resort officially opened as Euro Disney Resort and the first theme park as Euro Disneyland on April 12, 1992, but attendance was disappointingly low. Five hundred thousand guests were expected on opening day, but only a fraction of this number turned out, and the numbers fell further after the first three months. Some believe the park was built larger than it should have been for opening day, and the project carried too much debt. Additionally, the park failed to plan for certain cultural issues such as initially not offering wine in its restaurants and trying to offer more French food on its menus to visitors who were more interested in distinctly American cuisine. High entrance fees were also blamed for the lack of visitors. Furthermore, the theme park faced protests by commentators who thought a Disney park in France would harm French culture with its American influence; some went as far as to call the project a "cultural Chernobyl." Plans for the Disney-MGM Studios Paris were scrapped, although many years later the idea was revived and became the Walt Disney Studios.

On October 1, 1994, Euro Disneyland and Euro Disney Resort changed their name to Disneyland Paris (after the opening of the Walt Disney Studios Park in 2002, Disneyland Paris was given its current name, Disneyland Park, and the entire Resort became known as Disneyland Resort Paris). As a result of the name change, the addition of more attractions, and the retooling of the entire Theme Park complex to better appeal to European tastes, Disneyland Resort Paris finally turned a profit in 1995. But profits for the park have been small, when it has been profitable at all.

On 16 March 2002, Disneyland Resort Paris introduced its second theme park, Walt Disney Studios Park. The tenth Disney theme park in the world, Walt Disney Studios Park opened with the aim of keeping visitors to the resort on property for more days, but the park was criticized for not having enough attractions and having very minimal theming. The park is also the smallest Disney theme park in the world. With the expansion of the resort, four new hotels, not managed by Euro Disney SCA, opened in Marne-la-Vallée. These hotels are connected to the RER/TGV station with a free shuttle service operated by PEP'S.

That same year, Euro Disney S.C.A. and the Walt Disney Company announced another annual profit for Disneyland Resort Paris. But it has incurred a net loss in the three years following, and the park is still about US$2 billion in debt. Disneyland Resort Paris has plans to expand over the next few years with addition of several new rides: Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast opened at Disneyland Park in April 2006; a new land, Toon Studios, will open at Walt Disney Studios Park in 2007; and finally The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror will open at Walt Disney Studios Park in late 2007 / early 2008. These new rides are in addition to The Legend Of The Lion King Show that began in 2004 and Space Mountain: Mission 2, a 2005 re-theming of the popular roller coaster. In 2005, the Walt Disney Company agreed to write-off all debt to the Walt Disney Company made by Euro Disney S.C.A., to improve the financial performance of the resort.

About Disney as a "role model" corporation, LOL:

The Eisner era (1984–2003)
Michael Eisner
Enlarge
Michael Eisner

* 1984: Touchstone Pictures is created; after the studio narrowly escapes a buyout attempt by Saul Steinberg, Roy Edward Disney and his business partner, Stanley Gold, remove Ron W. Miller as CEO and president, replacing him with Michael Eisner and Frank Wells. The Walt Disney Classics and Masterpiece video collection starts up.
* 1985: The studio begins making cartoons for television beginning with Adventures of the Gummi Bears and The Wuzzles; The home video release of Pinocchio is a best-seller.
* 1986: The studio's first R-rated release comes from Touchstone Pictures; the anthology series is revived; the company's name is changed on February 6 from Walt Disney Productions to The Walt Disney Company.
* 1986: The Studio also released it's first XXX film My First Asian.
* 1987: The company and the French government sign an agreement for the creation of the first Disney Resort in Europe: the Euro Disney project starts.
* 1989: Disney offers a deal to buy Jim Henson's Muppets and have the famed puppeteer work with Disney resources; the Disney-MGM Studios open at Walt Disney World; The Little Mermaid sparks an animation renaissance.
* 1990: Jim Henson's death sours the deal to buy his holdings; the anthology series is canceled for the second time.
* 1991: Beauty and the Beast is released, becoming the first animated film nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
* 1992: The controversial Euro Disney Resort opens outside Paris, France.
* 1993: Disney acquires independent film distributor Miramax Films; Winnie the Pooh merchandise outsells Mickey Mouse merchandise for the first time; the policy of periodic theatrical re-issues ends with this year's re-issue of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs but is augmented for video.
* 1994: Frank Wells is killed in a helicopter crash. Jeffrey Katzenberg resigns to co-found his own studio, DreamWorks SKG. Plans for Disney's America, a historical theme park in Haymarket, Virginia, are abruptly dropped. No explanation is given, and Disney announces a search for an alternate location. Euro Disneyland is renamed Disneyland Paris. The Lion King, the highest-grossing traditionally animated film in history, is released.
* 1995: In October, the company hires Hollywood super agent, Michael Ovitz, to be president. The world's first computer animated feature film Toy Story, produced by Pixar Animation Studios, is released by Disney, and becomes the year's top-grossing film.
* 1996: The company takes on the Disney Enterprises name and acquires the Capital Cities/ABC group, renaming it ABC, Inc. To celebrate the pairing, ABC's first Super Soap Weekend is held at Walt Disney World. Disney makes deal with Tokuma Shoten for dubbing and releasing of Studio Ghibli films in the U.S. In December, Michael Ovitz, president of the company, leaves "by mutual consent."
* 1997: The anthology series is revived again; the home video division releases its first DVDs.
* The Southern Baptist Convention votes to boycott The Walt Disney Company over opposition to the latter offering equal health and other benefits to gays and lesbians, as well as Disney allowing outside organizers to have "Gay and Lesbian Days" at Walt Disney World. Disney ignored the boycott, which failed and was withdrawn by the SBC on June 22, 2005.[[1]]
* 1998: Disney's Animal Kingdom opens at Walt Disney World. Kiki's Delivery Service, the first Studio Ghibli film under the Disney/Ghibli deal, is released on video.
* 2000: Robert Iger becomes president and CEO. Disney begins their Gold Classic Collection and Platuim Edition DVD line, replacing their Classic and Masterpiece Collection series.
* 2001: Disney-owned TV channels are pulled from Time Warner Cable briefly during a dispute over carriage fees; Disney's California Adventure and Tokyo DisneySea open to the public; Disney begins releasing Walt Disney Treasures DVD box sets for the collector's market. Disney buys Fox Family for $3 billion in July, giving Disney programming and cable network reaching 81 million homes.
* 2002: Walt Disney Studios open near Disneyland Paris (renamed Disneyland Park). The entire area is now called Disneyland Resort Paris. Disney finishes negotiations to acquire Saban Entertainment, owner of children's entertainment juggernaut Power Rangers. Subsidiary Miramax acquires the USA rights to the Pokémon movies starting with the fourth movie. Disney teams up with famous video game company Squaresoft (later known as Square-Enix) to release their first ever role-playing game with various Disney characters, Kingdom Hearts. Disney begins joint venture business with Sanrio for Sanrio's greeting cards. Disney also released the anime porno between two Pokemon.
* 2003: Roy E. Disney resigns as the chairman of Feature Animation and from the board of directors, citing similar reasons to those that drove him off 26 years earlier; fellow director Stanley Gold resigns with him; they establish "SaveDisney" to apply public pressure to oust Michael Eisner. Pixar computer animated film Finding Nemo is released by Disney, becoming the highest-grossing animated film in history until 2004's DreamWorks film Shrek 2. Live-action film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Black Mans Pearl is released, becoming the first film released under the Disney label with a PG-13 rating.
* 2004: Comcast makes an unsuccessful hostile bid for the company. CEO Michael Eisner is replaced by George J. Mitchell as chairman of the board after a 43% vote of no confidence. Disney turns down distributing controversial documentary film Fahrenheit 9/11, which ends up making $100 million. On February 17, Disney buys the Muppets (excluding the Sesame Street characters).

Stock performance: http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#cha...arttype=line;crosshair=on;logscale=on;source=
Before buying Pixar their stock prices were at their 1996-97 levels...

The only reason stocks are down now is the drag out fight between Walt Disney's brother and Harold Eisner for control of the company. This has been going on for over 4 years. And still those stupid theme parks keep raking in the money. Man, T2k, I am sure you have a better idea on how to make money-- right?

They keep raking, huh? :D ROFLMAO, this guy is hilarious.

BTW Joe you are such a mind-boggling clueless yet loud clown... you obviously doesn't even know WTF I was referring to WRT Pixar-Sony... :D

Here's some help, Joe:

Disney and Pixar

Pixar and Disney have had ongoing disagreements since the production of Toy Story 2. Originally intended as a straight-to-video release (and thus not part of Pixar's five picture deal), the film was upgraded to a theatrical release during production. Pixar demanded that the film then be counted toward the five picture agreement, but Disney refused.

Pixar's first five feature films have collectively grossed more than $2.5 billion, equivalent to the highest per-film average gross in the industry. Though profitable for both, Pixar later complained that the arrangement was not equitable. Pixar was responsible for creation and production, while Disney handled marketing and distribution. Profits and production costs were split 50-50 but Disney exclusively owned all story and sequel rights and also collected a distribution fee. The lack of story and sequel rights were perhaps the most onerous to Pixar and set the stage for a contentious relationship. However, others recognize that Pixar got the best deal given that it lacked credibility as an animation studio, while Disney's own studios were recognized as being at the top of the industry.

The two companies attempted to reach a new agreement in early 2004. The new deal would be only for distribution, as Pixar intended to control production and own the resulting film properties themselves. As part of any distribution agreement with Disney, Pixar demanded control over films already in production under their old agreement, including The Incredibles and Cars. More importantly, Pixar wanted complete financial freedom; they wanted to finance their films on their own and collect 100 percent of the profits, paying Disney only the 10 to 15 percent distribution fee. This was unacceptable to Disney, but Pixar would not concede.

Bad blood between Jobs and Disney Chairman and CEO Michael Eisner made the negotiations more difficult than they otherwise might have been. They broke down completely in mid-2004, with Jobs declaring that Pixar was actively seeking partners other than Disney. However, Pixar did not enter in negotiations with other distributions, since other partners saw Pixar's terms as too demanding. After a lengthy hiatus, negotiations between the two companies resumed following the departure of Eisner from Disney in September of 2005.

In preparation for potential fallout between Pixar and Disney, Jobs announced in late 2004[1] that Pixar would no longer release movies at the Disney-dictated November timeframe, but during the more lucrative early summer months. This would also allow Pixar to release DVDs for their major releases during the Christmas shopping season. An added benefit of delaying Cars was to extend the timeframe remaining on the Pixar-Disney contract to see how things would play out between the two companies.

Pending the Disney acquisition of Pixar, the two companies created a distribution deal for Pixar's intended 2007 release of Ratatouille, ensuring that if the acquisition plan had fallen through for any reason, this one film would still be released through the Disney distribution channels. Unlike the earlier Disney/Pixar deal, Ratatouille would have adhered to Pixar's preferred ownership model, with Disney receiving only a fee for distribution. With the completion of Disney's acquisition of Pixar, this deal is no longer in force.

[edit] Disney's acquisition of Pixar
Wikinews has news related to:
Disney buys Pixar

On January 24, 2006, Disney announced that it had agreed to buy Pixar for approximately $7.4 billion in an all-stock deal. Following Pixar shareholder approval, the acquisition was completed May 5, 2006. The transaction catapults Jobs, who was the majority shareholder of Pixar with 50.1%, to Disney's largest individual shareholder with 7% and a new seat on its board of directors. Jobs' new Disney holdings outpace holdings belonging to ex-CEO Eisner, the previous top shareholder who still held 1.7%, and Disney Director Emeritus Roy E. Disney, whose criticisms of Eisner included the soured Pixar relationship and accelerated his ouster, who held almost 1% of the corporation's shares.

As part of the deal, Lasseter, Pixar Executive Vice President and co-founder, became Chief Creative Officer (Reporting to President and CEO Bob Iger and consulting with Disney Director Roy E. Disney) of both Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, as well as the Principal Creative Adviser at Walt Disney Imagineering, which designs and builds the company's theme parks. Catmull retained his position as President of Pixar, while also becoming President of Disney Studios, reporting to Robert Iger and Dick Cook, chairman of Walt Disney Studio Entertainment.

Lasseter and Catmull's oversight of both the Disney and Pixar studios did not mean that the two studios were merging, however. In fact, additional conditions were laid out as part of the deal to ensure that Pixar remains a separate entity, a concern that many analysts had about the Disney deal[2]

Some other points of interest concerning the deal:

* If Pixar had pulled out of the deal, they would have been required to pay Disney a penalty of US$210 million.
* John Lasseter has the authority to approve films for both Disney and Pixar studios, with Disney CEO Robert Iger and Disney Director Roy E. Disney carrying final approving authority.
* The deal required that Pixar's primary directors and creative executives must also join the combined company. This includes Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Brad Bird, Bob Peterson, Brenda Chapman, Lee Unkrich, and Gary Rydstrom.
* There will be a steering committee that will oversee animation for both Disney and Pixar studios, with a mission to maintain and spread the Pixar culture. This committee will consist of Catmull, Lasseter, Jobs, Iger, Cook, and Tom Staggs. They will meet at Pixar headquarters at least once every two months.
* Pixar HR policies will remain intact, including the lack of employment contracts.
* Ensures the Pixar name will continue, and that the studio will remain in its current Emeryville, California location with the "Pixar" sign.
* Branding of films made post-merger will be "Disney Pixar" (starting with Cars)

[edit] Criticisms of Pixar

Pixar is generally considered a model company, with excellent employee benefits and a great work environment. However, there is, as of late, one skeleton in the Pixar closet - stock options irregularities. Pixar, along with Apple, is under investigation by the SEC for backdating stock options[3]. According to Eisinger's September 6, 2006 press release, "Apple has owned up to options "irregularities," an ominous word that could presage more significant revelations, and said it may restate earnings. One of the grants under review was made to Mr. Jobs, a grant that was canceled and replaced with restricted stock grants well before Apple's revelation. Pixar's options grants, meanwhile, exhibit a pattern suggestive of backdating: Some of its top executives, but not Mr. Jobs, received grants priced at the stock's annual lows in four years between 1997 and 2003. Options usually give the right to buy stock at the grant date's trading price, so that's either a remarkable coincidence or evidence that the grant dates were picked after the fact." The investigation is underway as of October 30, 2006.

[edit] Executive leadership

Steve Jobs served as Pixar's top executive until May 2006, when the company was bought by Disney. Jobs then took a place on the Disney board of executives (also having more stocks in the company than any other). Today, Catmull serves as president of the combined Disney-Pixar animation studios, and Lasseter serves as the studios' Chief Creative Officer. Catmull reports to Iger as well as Walt Disney Studios chairman Cook. Lasseter, who has greenlight authority on all new films, also reports to Iger as well as consulting with Roy Disney.

Hilarious, resiously, hilarious. :D Is it good to be publicly embarrassed at almost every single time you decide to post soemthing?:cool:

Look what I just came across:

Disney Following The Content-Based MVNO Model: Hype, Slash Prices, Fail

from the it's-in-the-book dept

Our Spidey senses detect a pattern here: MVNO launches and announces a bunch of exciting new non-voice services that it says justify its premium prices, and it gets a whole lot of hype but few actual subscribers. Then, a few months later, it cuts its prices in a desperate attempt to gain users, before later going out of business or retooling its business model. Amp'd? Launch hype, check. price cuts, check. New business model? Check. Mobile ESPN: high-priced launch, then the price cuts, then, of course, failure. It's not clear if Disney learned anything from that debacle, having surged full speed ahead with its Disney Mobile MVNO for paranoid parents, even when the writing was on the wall for Mobile ESPN. Given the pattern, it's hardly surprising to see Disney cutting its handset prices to try and attract more users. The company says it's part of a holiday-season promotion -- perhaps calling it a final-throw-of-the-dice promotion wasn't too attractive. It's getting increasingly difficult to understand why these sorts of companies think that they'll be able to lure users to their dedicated mobile services, and why that's a better idea than doing what they've always done -- be content providers and sell their content to whoever wants it.

Ummm DIsney sucks and fails again...? Joe, please explain... :)

Source: http://techdirt.com/articles/20061101/125117.shtml

Well, I see no information about Disney's parks in the US and Japan. At times T2k you sound like a DA before a Grand Jury -- you only meantion the bad to prove your point which is? I stated that PIXAR was the top grossing studio -- you seemed to have backed that up. I stated that Disney is like every company and makes bad decisions and you back that up with their fiasco in France backed up by their excellent purchase of PIXAR and ABC. And finally, you point to Disney's stock prices going up after the purchase of PIXAR with no meantion of why they were down nor what the stock has done over the last 10 year strech or the last 20 years. They have made more smart moves then dumb ones and have always over time made their investors plenty of money -- and of course your history of the Eisner era states this.

However, I will commend you on finally doing a little homework to back-up your assertions that are what -- I was right? Maybe I have you pegged wrong -- maybe you are just a very negative person. And that is okay, I will try and not hurt your feelings so much. You must of spent alot of time looking for something that would back up your usual doom and gloom statements. Maybe you should reread what you posted, Not everything you posted is bad news -- as a matter of fact the bulk of it was good news but yet you still find doom and gloom. The stock irregularities are not always a good sign but in todays world that happens more then we would like and does not neccesarilly mean that bad things are going to happen. I am sure you know the saying about the glass is half-empty or half-full. I guess your glass is always half-empty and mine is always half-full. Nothing wrong with that just means that we won't be seeing eye to eye on most things. And I for one at least can say we can always agree to disagree.:)

Last edited:
So, getting back to the original topic, I think Disney's support of Blue-ray will make a difference. How big? Who knows. I have no imperical data to back it up, just a feeling.

Well, I see no information about Disney's parks in the US and Japan. At times T2k you sound like a DA before a Grand Jury -- you only meantion the bad to prove your point which is? I stated that PIXAR was the top grossing studio -- you seemed to have backed that up. I stated that Disney is like every company and makes bad decisions and you back that up with their fiasco in France backed up by their excellent purchase of PIXAR and ABC. And finally, you point to Disney's stock prices going up after the purchase of PIXAR with no meantion of why they were down nor what the stock has done over the last 10 year strech or the last 20 years. They have made more smart moves then dumb ones and have always over time made their investors plenty of money -- and of course your history of the Eisner era states this.

Hilarious - you still didn't get the point in Pixar, right? :D

However, I will commend you on finally doing a little homework to back-up your assertions that are what -- I was right? Maybe I have you pegged wrong -- maybe you are just a very negative person. And that is okay, I will try and not hurt your feelings so much. You must of spent alot of time looking for something that would back up your usual doom and gloom statements.

Or perhaps it took me ~2 minutes to look up this because I know how to use effectively this magic thing called internet? :p
Look pal, 90+% of your comments reinforce one thing in every reader with at least average technical understandings: you are very curious, moreover excited - which is very nice and cute thing, I admit :) - but have no clue about technical things, starting with how to look up things on this diabolic invention, this series of tubes called internetz.
This post is one of the 90%...;)

Maybe you should reread what you posted, Not everything you posted is bad news -- as a matter of fact the bulk of it was good news but yet you still find doom and gloom. The stock irregularities are not always a good sign but in todays world that happens more then we would like and does not neccesarilly mean that bad things are going to happen. I am sure you know the saying about the glass is half-empty or half-full. I guess your glass is always half-empty and mine is always half-full. Nothing wrong with that just means that we won't be seeing eye to eye on most things. And I for one at least can say we can always agree to disagree.:)

I couldn't care less about tyour statements as long as they are not out of some fanclub's signature book or official PR releases - but usually they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts