Will the VOOM channels exist in a few years?

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
First off, I'm not here to start a war. I'm just curious how the VOOM channels will be able to sustain themselves. They are not picked up by many providers and don't seem to have a lot of commercials. How will they afford to provide content in the future?

Good question, i think with the explosion of HD channels the voom channels will be more minimized. Up until then they were the sam eamount as all other national channels. Also I think they have survived this long based partly upon the voom channels being manditory on the HD package.

Yeah I think VOOM will be around for a long time due to they have alot of good HD Content you can not see any where else. Overall I really enjoy Voom.

Yeah I think VOOM will be around for a long time due to they have alot of good HD Content you can not see any where else. Overall I really enjoy Voom.

I agree, but that doesn't pay the bills.

I'm just curious how the VOOM channels will be able to sustain themselves.

Wouldnt surprise me if someone bought them out, kept the unique channels, and dropped the rest. Then for the rest get new content (crosses fingers), raise prices and so dome heavy duty shopping around to every provider under the sun. At least that is what I would do (quality over quantity).

But then everyone has their own ideas. Including corporate raiders who buy a company and sell off all the assets to turn a large profit. Been done before. It will be done again. :(

Definitely not all of them.

I don't really see a gimmick like the 12 minute loop of HDNews surviving against the likes of CNN HD and Fox News HD.

I think they will be around for a while. I read that cable vision has picked them up. That's two major players they are signed up with.

Also I think they have survived this long based partly upon the voom channels being manditory on the HD package.

Er....just like all the other non-premium HD channels. The fact is, there are very few channels you can get outside of a package.

Er....just like all the other non-premium HD channels. The fact is, there are very few channels you can get outside of a package.

No D* places all non premium channels HD without a SD counterpart as a seperate package for $4.99. E* tried that with voom and I'm sure realized not many would/are subscribing to them so they made them included with the standard HD pakage. If not they would not survive.

No D* places all non premium channels HD without a SD counterpart as a seperate package for $4.99. E* tried that with voom and I'm sure realized not many would/are subscribing to them so they made them included with the standard HD pakage. If not they would not survive.

So all non-premium HD channels at D* have to purchased as a package, just like the all the non-premium HD channels at E*, including Voom.

Or are you claiming that I could pick and choose only the HD channels I wanted at D*? Could I, for example, get SciFi and Discovery, but not Food or HGTV? Or does D* force you to purchase all of them to get the one's you want?

I believe they will survive in some form. They will change, but every cable channel out there has evolved over time.

How long since MTV has been MUSIC television? Why does every channel have to have a reality show or 20? Why is Travel showing food shows? Why is Food showing travel shows? etc, etc.

There seems to be a strong movement in the cable industry for every channel to appeal to the broadest possible audience, and VOOM will eventually follow suit and start showing some lame reality show that follows the stupid antics of some personality that nobody really cares about. In HD of course.

There seems to be a strong movement in the cable industry for every channel to appeal to the broadest possible audience, and VOOM will eventually follow suit and start showing some lame reality show that follows the stupid antics of some personality that nobody really cares about. In HD of course.

Who knows. Maybe someone really interesting will have a show. Cant think of any offhand. But out of 6 billion people there must be someone. How about "The Kim Jong Il Show"?

The Voom channels are sold as a package in this country. All or nothing.

I'm sure it was a vaguely reasonable negotiating stance to stake their claim on the dial when there was no other HD content to add.

However, now they're in the position of trying to sell 15 channels that the general public has never heard of to bandwidth starved cable companies over the likes of USA, FX, Sci-Fi, TBS, CNN, Discovery, TLC, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)