Will tree branches and leaves block the signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryansebiz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I'm moving into a new apartment and am interested in DirecTV. However, there is a big tree surrounding my balcony. My apt is on the third floor and I'm not allowed to secure my dish to the building - it must be in a bucket or on a tripod. Will these branches and their leaves block my signal or do you think it will work?

First you need to have a site survey done to ensure you are facing the right direction and ascertain if the leaves will block your signal.

It is facing south, the only question is the tree branches and leaves.

Who would I call for a site survery? Is it free or how much does it cost?

It is facing south, the only question is the tree branches and leaves.

Who would I call for a site survery? Is it free or how much does it cost?

Yes trees and leaves will block the signal. If you can find a local retailer they will probably do a site survey free.

The trees and growth will block the signal. Do you own a compass?
If so find your AZ/EL numbers (you can get these from the Direct TV web page) and point it there you will have a good idea!!

I was in the same situation a few years ago, where I mounted the dish in concrete in the bottom of a big flower pot. The dish ended up being pointed directly at a medium sized tree (maybe about 6-8 inches in diameter) and I still got a decent signal off of 101 (round dish).

The guy is most likely going to tell you that you won't be able to get D* due to a line of sight problem, but if you want to try for yourself I'd recomment picking up a cheap dish/receiver combo on Ebay and seeing if you can get a signal (or borrow someone's dish/receiver). You don't need a card or subscription to setup/aim the dish.

If you're after HD, you might have a harder time because you'll need to aim up with three satellites instead of just the one. I still have trouble with the spot beams on 119 due to leaves/branches in the way. Luckily though, not much on 119 these days.

I live in Southeast PA, but I suppose you can use this photograph to get a guage on the tree-to-dish ratio to see if you are going to get a signal:

elevated-dish.jpg

I think the direction it is pointing (the...azimuth? I forget) is 247 degrees. I get a 100 signal on the 101, an 89 on the 110 (dish needs to be about three feet higher, or five feet to the left probably to get a 100) and nothing on the 119, which I live with.

The installer who came told me that the sats were considerably more to the right (west) than they ended up being (unless I'm receiving DirecTV from someone elses satellites) so I thanked him for his service and just pointed the dish using a compass and aviation chart until I got a signal.

This may lead to an exersize in frustration, however. YMMV.

Don't forget that with the typical offset dish, the face of the LNBF is offset 22.5 degrees below the perpenicular to the plane of the reflector. Meaning that the signal is coming in from 22.5 degrees ABOVE the perpendicular to the reflectors plane (or 45 degrees above the LNBF). I use a Brunton [tm]-type pocket transit for sighting; and it's amazing how steep a 40- or even 30-degree angle can appear in the sky. Short of laying out money for a pocket transit, I second the recommendation of calling a local dealer-installer about a free site survey and get your line of sight verified.

thanks for the input. it's in hoover alabama (close to birmingham). what type of local installers should i contact? i'm not too familiar with the area (yet). should i try calling radio shack? what other types of stores would you recommend?

i'd like to set this up before i move in on august 17. when i order my phone and dsl service through bell south i can save if i order directv through them too.

i reallly want to get this working!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts