Will TT work for me?

harvestmoon

Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
I've been looking for some Sirius recording software for a not yet purchased hardware system. My husband likes Howard Stern and I like NPR. We have interent via a satellite dish (DirecWay) as we live in a travel trailer (think RV). So the internet connection is only up and running when we are hooked up to electrical or genset and have the dish pointed and running. So the need to have 24/7 internet is a concern. We do a LOT of travelling; we winter in Mexico (mainland) and the rest of the year we're travelling around the US and Canada.

Second, our only computer is a laptop (two; a ThinkPad and a Toshiba Satellite) so no audio card. I'm thinking that is another possible problem.

From the numerous complaints about TT (lack of) customer support and the two issues above, I'm thinking that TT would not be a good fit for us.

harvestmoon said:
I've been looking for some Sirius recording software for a not yet purchased hardware system. My husband likes Howard Stern and I like NPR. We have interent via a satellite dish (DirecWay) as we live in a travel trailer (think RV). So the internet connection is only up and running when we are hooked up to electrical or genset and have the dish pointed and running. So the need to have 24/7 internet is a concern. We do a LOT of travelling; we winter in Mexico (mainland) and the rest of the year we're travelling around the US and Canada.
Second, our only computer is a laptop (two; a ThinkPad and a Toshiba Satellite) so no audio card. I'm thinking that is another possible problem.
From the numerous complaints about TT (lack of) customer support and the two issues above, I'm thinking that TT would not be a good fit for us.

Depending on how new and what operating system are running on the laptop - a USB sound card might be an option however I think that MIGHT REQUIRE Windows XP. Also, they do make PCMCIA Sound cards as well (that plugs into the slot on the side of the laptop). However, Are you sure there is NO sound card? I haven't seen a laptop in a while made without one. I think there might be NO LINE IN which is what is needed (however could be attained by the USB sound card).

I must admit, if you are that mobile, then I would suggest 1 or 2 sirius stand alone units and just catch your shows when you can. Being in an RV type situation you will have the best access to the sky and just move on from there - I do understand that you lose the time-shifting/recording but for now I am not sure the currect version of TT is best for you. They (Time Trax people) have made comments that there might be a way to opt-out of the constant internet connection but there have been no commitments and no time frames when that might be available.

There is another product that doesn't require the Internet connection, however, you still need a line-in on a sound card on a computer to RECORD what you want to - and thats the most limiting factor in your setup right now.

/off topic - I admire your traveling :)

Thanks so much. I guess you're right - the laptops have sounds coming out :) but no line in. I'm running XP on the Toshiba and Jamie has XP Pro on the ThinkPad. I would really like a car unit to catch NPR as we're travelling but as we have 4 young children I really don't want Howard playing in the trailer - I want his show to be recorded (and I'd like to be able to record Car Talk and other stuff on NPR).

Would the PCMCIA card you mentioned have the line in on it? I have been looking at PNP Sirius radios - coupled with a boombox could the Streamer allow us to record? I know this is a TT board, and I'd love to use it, but it doesn't look like it will work. Can you email or PM me with any other ideas (as the TT people seem to be quite heavy handed here)? TIA!

harvestmoon said:
Thanks so much. I guess you're right - the laptops have sounds coming out :) but no line in. I'm running XP on the Toshiba and Jamie has XP Pro on the ThinkPad. I would really like a car unit to catch NPR as we're travelling but as we have 4 young children I really don't want Howard playing in the trailer - I want his show to be recorded (and I'd like to be able to record Car Talk and other stuff on NPR).

Would the PCMCIA card you mentioned have the line in on it? I have been looking at PNP Sirius radios - coupled with a boombox could the Streamer allow us to record? I know this is a TT board, and I'd love to use it, but it doesn't look like it will work. Can you email or PM me with any other ideas (as the TT people seem to be quite heavy handed here)? TIA!

Your question about the line-in and PCMCIA sound cards is valid. Some quick digging caught this :
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769

Probably a little expensive but I did not check the price. This device seems to have a dongle attachment that allows for other inputs and outputs and I just hope that one of them is a Line In.

Please check for your PM.

We are going to be releasing an interim release with a short term bandaid to the internet connectivity issue however, it will not eliminate the requirement all together. We do have a larger plan that we are working on for a full release.

Also, there is absolutely no problem with discussion alternative options here. We welcome it. Posts never get removed for a dicussion critical of Recast or the company nor do they get removed for mentioning another product. All we ask is that the focus remains on having constructive conversations (rather than destructive).

To address the comment about support complaints, I have posted some information in other threads. I will say that my most recent analysis of our tickets (last night) shows that in the last 6 months, less than 2% of support requests have taken longer than 12 hours to receieve a response.

To talk directly to your questions, based on what you are looking for, I agree with PN that Recast might not be your best bet for your goals. I would hold tight because we are launching new products at CES which start on January 5th- one of which I think could solve one of your issues perfectly.

Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest.

David K.
Time Trax

Thanks everyone. I so wish this software had better support and worked better. It sounds like such a neat idea. Maybe when we come back to the states it will be less buggy. Right now, I'm not willing to gamble on TT.

Thanks so much for the information, I sure wish we could use this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)