Will we ever need more than one piece of coax between the dish and hub?

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
I have a bundle of 3 coax cables + ground running down the side of the house. Since my Hopper 3 install, two of them are hanging disconnected. I'd like to remove the two unused cables just to make the installation look more attractive.

Any reason we would ever need additional cables run up to the dish? One Hopper and a couple of Joeys are all I expect to need.

No need for the other two coaxes except perhaps redundancy. If you want to remove them for aesthetics it shouldn't cause an issue.

Reactions: rharkins
No need for the other two coaxes except perhaps redundancy. If you want to remove them for aesthetics it shouldn't cause an issue.
I also have three coax running from my roof to the basement. I asked my H3 tech installer if it is true that the National Electric code requires Dish to remove any unused coax runs to minimize the hazard from a lightening strike. He said it was and said I should put in a service request to get it done.

I have a dual run of coax coming from both of my 1000.2 EA dishes. 1 dish I don't use anymore and I will remove it from my tower
come warmer weather. I will also remove the coax from the tower also in an effort to clean up my tower.

My main dish also has a dual coax run. I have a 1000.2 EA LNBF Hybrid on the dish.It has 2 outputs so that's why
I connected the second coax to the LNBF. I just don't like letting any unused ports un-terminated. I bring both into
my house and they are connected to a dual hub. I look at it as a backup. I don't know if it I really gain anything for it but this coax
is a buried run and I don't feel like digging up my back yard again. I had to replace the original run about 5 - 6 years ago.

As for the electrical codes I don't know anything about them but if the installer says the extra coax needs to be removed then I would
take his advice. I don't know why he couldn't do the job but it must be a Dish Network thing. Maybe they will charge you for a Tech to
come out and remove the coax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)