Wiring Set-up from Cable to Direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaybird28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Seattle
When they set-up for Direct TV, do they use your existing cable wiring that is in your home??

Short Answer... YES .... coax is normally running inside of outside house walls filled with insulation and through attics... and sometimes when it runs up the walls and makes that bend into the attic its near impossible to put another line there and if you want somebody to run you new lines, additional work to run that line - I expect they would charge.

If you have RG-59 - it doesn't work well with satellite systems and most likely it would need to be replaced.

Thanks for the reply. I have a spare bedroom that Comcast could not get cable to so I have to run a split off of the bedroom TV to this room which obviously isn't to nice to look at. Can they improve this situation when they hook me up? Also, I believe I was told to purchase RG-59 for use when I use a Dish in my RV. is that incorrect?

For the Bedroom, you might have to run a cable from an exterior wall as splitters (assuming you want a receiver in the spare) do not work well with D* or any Satellite provider. For the RV I would say you would want to use RG6. It's a thicker core and can handle the higher power delivered by Satellite reveivers, in fact it is the standard wiring platform now.

Thanks for the reply. I have a spare bedroom that Comcast could not get cable to so I have to run a split off of the bedroom TV to this room which obviously isn't to nice to look at. Can they improve this situation when they hook me up? Also, I believe I was told to purchase RG-59 for use when I use a Dish in my RV. is that incorrect?
Hi.. in my experience (both in house and RV) ALWAYS use RG-6 with satellite. It's a little harder to work with but WELL worth the trouble and cost. :cool:

When I asked my installer the same question about using my cable tv cables, stating that I wanted new RG6 cable (old cables were about 10 yrs old) he told me the Zinwell 6x8 switch would make all my old cables RG6.:eek::rolleyes::haha:yikes:shocked

When I asked my installer the same question about using my cable tv cables, stating that I wanted new RG6 cable (old cables were about 10 yrs old) he told me the Zinwell 6x8 switch would make all my old cables RG6.:eek::rolleyes::haha:yikes:shocked
He is dead wrong. Get another installer.

Letting my hair grow makes me look like a male model, no really, it does. Short hair make me look like a dork! Same logic. I look like a model all the tiime. :cool:

59 is 59, 6 is 6, no matter how you slice it.

Pretty much. Looking at the specs of the 5LNB dish and RG59, I wouldn't attempt to use any more than 25-30 feet of 59.

Pretty much. Looking at the specs of the 5LNB dish and RG59, I wouldn't attempt to use any more than 25-30 feet of 59.
For the cost of the cable, it simply is not worth reusing existing cable. It is so easy 99% of the time to simply barrel a 59 to 6, and simply pull it through. A two story fish replacement can be done in minutes. Rarely are this internal cables clamped. Easy to check, a person on eqach enad, pulling, is there felt tension? Even if there are a few clamps, often the cable in will just pop the cable from the clamp.

One hint, it helps, after you barrel the two cables together to wrap the cabel and barrel with tape to make it a smooth shape, plus it adds strength to the connection.
Some remove the connectors, strip the outter, shield and center insulation away. Twist the center condutors together, then securely tape. Makes the resulting joint even smaller if there is doubt about getting 'hung'.

I know this for sure Comcast techs may not enter an attic.
How many levels in your home?.Basement, crawlspace or slab?..If two, is the bedroom in question upstairs.
There are very few homes that cannot be wired one way or another. The otoughest are two story slab built homes where tv's are on interior walls on the main floor. \
If the homeowner is reasonable and allows for some cutting of sheetrock and the owner is willing to pay for a contractor to repair the walls, then wiring can be done just about in any home. It all depends on what you wish to spend and how badly you want/need that room wired.

For the cost of the cable, it simply is not worth reusing existing cable. It is so easy 99% of the time to simply barrel a 59 to 6, and simply pull it through. A two story fish replacement can be done in minutes. Rarely are this internal cables clamped. Easy to check, a person on eqach enad, pulling, is there felt tension? Even if there are a few clamps, often the cable in will just pop the cable from the clamp.

One hint, it helps, after you barrel the two cables together to wrap the cabel and barrel with tape to make it a smooth shape, plus it adds strength to the connection.
Some remove the connectors, strip the outter, shield and center insulation away. Twist the center condutors together, then securely tape. Makes the resulting joint even smaller if there is doubt about getting 'hung'.
Yes this will work. But only if the existing pre wire had not been stapled by the original install company. I can tell you this. It is code that all wiring installed in an electrical rough in must be stapled. That includes tel wire and coax.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)