Woolworth's in UK dropping HD-DVD

Another retailer (this one in the UK) picks BluRay (file this under rumor until offical announcement):

PlayThree.net: Woolworths go Blu-ray exclusive. Drop HD-DVD.

"I was in Woolworths on Saturday looking for a copy of Harry Potter (for my girlfriend) when I bumped into one of the store managers. I know him through a mutual friend and we got chatting about games and stuff."

Not directed at Joe - as I've seen this on at least 4 websites - but file this under "Disparate web sites, grasping for straws for ANY news on the high-def format "war" so as to get links leading in". :rolleyes:

So, here is my retaliation: I was Walgreens recently, stocking up on Metamucil. I noticed a young girl re-stocking their electronic section, which stocks VHS tapes, CD-R's, and even DVD-R's. I asked her if they would ever be stocking HD DVD. After thinking for a minute, she told me "Probably, I mean, I think so. Maybe". ;)

Hence the reasoning behind my rumour alert. However, after working for 5 years in management for the now defunct EB I found that managers have a way of letting inside decisions slip before they are concrete. (Best rumor was the company was going to go big in the new ATARI system and we know where ATARI is now, while in reality they did not support ATARI much at all)

So while a rumor, there could be some validity to this as some retailers who are limited on shelf space (main reason EB did not do ATARI in a big way) start to make decisions. How about we label this FUD and do the wait and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)