WSI 6foot dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Anyone have success (assembling and results) w/ the WSI dish? Still putting mine together despite crashing my head due to the instructions.
It was the 69$ deal I couldnt pass up, however now am wondering if it was a good decision.

Cheers, K

I put one up and later took it down and put a bigger dish up. It worked ok for a 6 footer, but there is no substitute for size ;)

I have one that I have yet to setup. I can tell you from experience though that the 4dtv signals are pretty strong with a 4dtv. I have trees blocking my line of sight on 131W and I lost ALL of the DVB-s/s2 transponders while the analogs come in fine and most of the DC2 channels play OK. I think a 6 footer would work well for 4dtv stuff but you will have trouble with some of the dvb-s2 signals and weaker dvb-s signals.

I can get some of the S2 signals on my 6 footer

RTV (both muxes)
all the S2 on 91W
escapes and ABC (feeds) on 99W
CBC/SRC on 107.3
RTV on 137W (until trees got int he way)
The mux on 135W that had some stuff like Wazoo sports, Link TV and NWCN

There are a couple (few) of threads here discussing assembly. Think there was a couple of mentions of the polar pivots wearing causing excessive slop. Remedy was to drill out the holes and use bushings and a larger bolt (IIRC).
Google the following may return some pointers: WSI special assembly site:satelliteguys.us
Here's only a couple: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/228237-6-foot-dish-install-2.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/229537-wsi-6ft-special-tracking-problem.html
It'll 'get your feet wet' with C band but soon, I'm convinced, you'll want more.

I've got a $69 special. And yes I agree, the non-instructions was almost a waste of time. If I hadn't had prior experience it would have taken forever. They sure don't leave you much to go on. Just read the above threads and do some googleing and you will find assembled pics that will help. Just don't use the pic on WSI web sight because it is assembled wrong.

Ya somebody posted some good close up pics on the thread I started. I lost some of my hardware however so I have been unable to finish setting it up.

I've got a $69 special. And yes I agree, the non-instructions was almost a waste of time. If I hadn't had prior experience it would have taken forever. They sure don't leave you much to go on. Just read the above threads and do some googleing and you will find assembled pics that will help. Just don't use the pic on WSI web sight because it is assembled wrong.

I used the WSI pic as a reference... IIRC, 2 nuts were too big and didnt fit on an 'L' rod. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I find them. Am pretty sure am 80% done. In the meanwhile, I'll read the recommended threads.

Cheers, K

BTW, IIRC, I need a 2 3/8 pole. Best I found was a 2.5" pole.. which did initially come w/ a stop sign.

Also, for those who were wondering, I spend months looking for a 6ft mesh until I found the WSI deal. Ideally, I'd like an 8 footer, however, am in the suburb of a major city and space is limitted along w/ an anal local goverment which prides itself on having built a "picturesque" community.

I had the same dish before I got my 10 foot Sami put up. Look for threads by me and I have some very long threads with pics. Also I'm selling my dsr 922 now as my sub has ran out and had to get dish installed for the wife. I'm keeping the 10 footer for fta though. Even with mapmaster I don't see the value in the old receiver any more. Anyone wants it pm I've cleaned out my box

Can't recall the thread but someone had welds break off while up in the air. My six footer lasted about two years. (The last hail storm did it in)

I guess they got lots of great feedback since they are no longer importing those dish's anymore.

BTW, IIRC, I need a 2 3/8 pole. Best I found was a 2.5" pole.. which did initially come w/ a stop sign.

2 3/8 is too small needs a 2 5/8....not so easy to find at least around here. So 2.5 is closer, if that is all you can find maybe you can engineer something.

And IIRC rear is correct on the WSI web site but the arms for the scaler ring don't go all the way to the edge like they show. I remember something was wrong with one of their pictures.

I bought a 21 foot section of 3"OD. Its crazy in price cost was almost $200 BOO.

I used Google "steel pipe louisville ky" and started making calls to find the cheapest price. (All about the same price I found)

2 5/8 is such a crazy size.

It was the 69$ deal I couldnt pass up, however now am wondering if it was a good decision.

It's a good first foray into c-band and as Fat Air mentioned you'll be wanting more.
The WSI bargain was my first BUD assembly after playing with C-band on a 1.2m. I got a bunch of HD channels from 58w-137w here in CA but I mostly parked that thing on 107.3 with the CDN programming.

Make sure to look at all the photos and read up on all the excellent info in FaT Air's links. Take your time with the installation. If I didn't rush with the assembly and had installed the actuator properly, I would probably still be enjoying the CBC DVBS2 mux...

Don't let this happen to you:
wsispecial.jpg

HUGE fail.

I can get some of the S2 signals on my 6 footer

RTV (both muxes)
all the S2 on 91W
escapes and ABC (feeds) on 99W

were you referring to the fec 9/10 ABC feeds?

That sucks. Sorry to see that.

It's a good first foray into c-band and as Fat Air mentioned you'll be wanting more.
The WSI bargain was my first BUD assembly after playing with C-band on a 1.2m. I got a bunch of HD channels from 58w-137w here in CA but I mostly parked that thing on 107.3 with the CDN programming.

Make sure to look at all the photos and read up on all the excellent info in FaT Air's links. Take your time with the installation. If I didn't rush with the assembly and had installed the actuator properly, I would probably still be enjoying the CBC DVBS2 mux...

Don't let this happen to you:
View attachment 78698

HUGE fail.

were you referring to the fec 9/10 ABC feeds?
Wow!! The actuator just broke off?!?!:eek:

I bought a 21 foot section of 3"OD. Its crazy in price cost was almost $200 BOO.

I used Google "steel pipe louisville ky" and started making calls to find the cheapest price. (All about the same price I found)

2 5/8 is such a crazy size.
Home depot sels 8' electrical stack. it is 2.5" od, better then 2.375"+sleeve.
it is also thicker: 0.125".

I used the 2.5" Rigid pipe from Home Depot. It was electrical pipe and I bought one 10' and had them cut a 5' section and coupled them together then drilled through both coupling and pipes and put a 3/8" bolt in 2 places to keep it together after tightening it together in the coupling. I came out very straight over all, kinda surprised me it was so straight. I added the 2.5" pvc coupling at the top under the polar mount and it keeps it very tight. there are some pics in my last post about it.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/228237-6-foot-dish-install-23.html#post2884249

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)