Wut 2 Buy - Projector vs LCD vs Plasma???

Status
Not open for further replies.
keno said:
But, remember, a Plasma TV only has a life of 3-5 years.

So not true. Plasmas manufactured within the last few years have a life span exceeding 8-10 years based on average viewing habits.

And so anyone else who hears mis-information from their local BB, CC idiot saleman etc.....they don't leak gas and don't have to be re-charged yearly along with the other plethora of mis-information they spew. About the only drawback is that they are thirsty for electricity...well, OK price also.

There is no Plasma out there that will give the resolution, size and picture that my Sanyo Z2 LCD 720p projector gives me for the $1750.00 I paid for it :yes . That being said, I have a Sony 46" rear projection and a Z2 in my home theater. I did not get a DLP front projector because I see rainbows. :eek:

Wayne

Well with the viewing habits around here (the tv being on 12-16 hours a day) the bulbs/tv's would not last long. That could get pretty expensive. I would like to get a projector that has good picture quality in SD and HD and could be viewed in daylight but the bulb is too pricey. Are they expensive to repair if something goes wrong with them?

Stargazer said:
Well with the viewing habits around here (the tv being on 12-16 hours a day) the bulbs/tv's would not last long. That could get pretty expensive. I would like to get a projector that has good picture quality in SD and HD and could be viewed in daylight but the bulb is too pricey. Are they expensive to repair if something goes wrong with them?

I have had my PJ for a week, but with a three year warranty, I should be good to go if something does go wrong.

Wayne

Hey Keno you go the hook up thats for sure, I was thinking about doing the same kind of setup you got but some of the money got diverted for other house hold needs..

for You guys that are thinking hard about getting that Samsung DLP do your home work, because the LCD got a better rating than the Samsung DLP.. This is from Home theater mag and Sound and Vison and a few others and the internet of course..

I know the stores are pushing the Samsung DLP hard for some time now and they never have the HD tvs hooked up to get the best picture for the shopper to veiw anyway.. I just
passing a little info if it might help some one along the way..
Cya Slick

FWIW Circuit City has the Sony 42" LCD Widescreen on sale for $2599.

To Slick: On the contrary, the stores have been pushing the LCD/RPs real hard. Then the prices of the LCD/RPs started being discounted because they still didn't sell once the consumers saw the PQ on both side-by-side. The wife and I set out to buy a Sony LCD/RP, but were disappointed in the PQ, glare, washout, and lack of viewing angle after viewing them in 5 different stores. We had to ask about the wide screen Samsung monitor with the dazzling picture and then we still got the old story about Sony quality and you don't know what you are getting w/ Samsung.

We've had ours for a year of heavy usage and no bulb change yet. Given the cutting edge technology, we did opt for a 5 year warranty. My boss chose to save $500 and bought the Sony 5 months later. He seems to regret to tell me that his HDTV and DVD experiences have been far less thrilling than mine.

Hey Carl I hate to disagree but that is why I went with the professionals suggested and I dont mean the salesman in the stores. I have been in a ton of stores when I was shopping for my tv and only one store had the HD tvs set up so they could show there full and true HD.. When the stores are pushing one model like the DLP that is the one that is going to look the best, so that is why I dont think you got a true comparison test.. When I was shopping for my 60" Sony every store but one looked like garbage but after reading what the pros said it did not matter because I already new what I getting and not just the one that they had hooked up right to look the best..

Hell Sony had a problem wih there LCD when it first came out but that is fixed now, but you have to get what makes you happy so enjoy.. Cya Slick

I looked for what mags I had left that did a HDTV face off and I could only find one and here it is Home theater February 2004.. They have 6 people in this story that are rating these 10 diffrent kinds of HD tvs DLP,CRT.LCD before and after there calibrated..

You read it and you be the judge on how you want to spend your money..I hope this helps any one that might be in the market for a new tv...

I know I am really happy with my purchase thanks to the people that do this everyday.. Cya Slick

advantages and drawbacks. Front projection CRT gun alignment can be costly and time consuming unit is heavier. Excellent picture. Pricey. Front projector LCD no gun alignment. HD reasonable. Sony VPLHS20 under 35K. bulb replacement every 2000 to 3000 hours. maintenance monthly (filter cleaning) no alignment required-focus adjustment when first set up. DLP Bright picture. bulb replacement 1500 to 2000 hours. CRT great picture-- Heavy for size (that's an understatement) smaller 34-38" 16:9 image. RPTV CRT better weight to size ratio. Most economical for size. Convergence an issue on some sets, not on others. Varied brightness levels (while this is an issue in a store when you walk around and look at a TV from all possible vertical and horizontal angles, is not as much of an issue in the home where TV viewing is primarily a static event.) Plasma best off axis viewing other than CRT, gradual brightness deterioration (similar to CRT and RPTV CRTs) and like those sets replace at half brightness. As in all digital (non CRT sets) may notice a screen door effect. If you live at high altitude (folks in Colorado mountain areas) check viability of set at altitude. Burn in and Life span images may be over dramatized. LCD (direct view) thin 'hang on the wall" like plasma. Refresh rates are improving to reduce image blurring on vast moving scenes. Black levels still need some work and the price is starting to come down and larger sets are becoming available but still, generally under 40" as in plasma sets light weight. MMDs- these are the hot displays available in the mid 40 to over 60" size. Rear projection with stable brightness and better off axis. Long life lower priced user replaceable bulb (picture having a 'new' TV every 5+ years for around 300 dollars. Lighter than plasma. reduced screen door effect. More competitively priced than any set for there size, other than RPTV CRTs. Deeper than Plasma/LCD but about 15 to 20" less than a 20" CRT.The hot sets, now. Available in DLP, LCD, LCOS and D'ILA.
=

hdtv

it usually all depends on your budget...

plasmas are good if you dont have much room... a bad thing about plasmas is dead pixels can form...

lcds are nice and aren't that expensive.. ive seen a 50 inch LG lcd go for under $2000... they dont take much room either (about 15inches in width).. a bad thing about some LCD's is that you have to wait about 15-20 seconds for it to start up (im not sure if this is true with all LCD tv's, but the LG one I saw you had to wait 20 seconds)...

if you get a projector make sure you get a good one... i have a runco 933 projector running on a 811 dish netowrk hdtv receiver.. picture looks magnificent.. if money isnt a option, definitley get a runco. a bad thing about projectors is the best picture will only come in dark... if you put the lights on, the picture wouldnt be that good..

This is a tough Q. Plasma vs LCD is one decision. Which LCD- RP or DLP is another decision. I did all that and ended up following in love with 60'' Sony XBR about 2 months back. I still love it as much.

Plasmas by far.

PLASMAS by far are better but like DVD players not all are the same.

I will only buy Faroudja , Fujitsu or Pioneer Elite plasmas with a video processor from Faroudja or Key Digital System Leeza.

But that is if you have 10k to 20k this is the best......for under 5k I would go with the Pioneer Elite PRO-730 HDMI 64" RPTV.......sweet!!!! Of course with a Faroudja or Leeza video processor. :yes

Each has their own advantage. At Circuit City a salesman showed me several burnt out pixels on one of the plasma tv's after it was on for a period of about 3-5 months. That in itself is a good enough reason for me to not buy plasma. Doesn't the LCD tv's do the same? It seems like there needs to be some more improvement done with this HD technology.

mallu2u said:
Nope. RP LCDs do not suffer from burn-ins. Nor do DLPs.
LCDs can suffer from stuck pixels much like laptop displays can they not? Also, DLPs can get stuck mirrors. All displays have their strengths and weaknesses.

I was just wondering if there are certain frames or whatever (screens) you can buy for a projector ??

I am developing my basement and I think a projector is the way to go. I want to hang it from the ceiling and project as large as possible on the wall. Just wondering if there are links for some screens so I can see what size they come in. I don't want a pull down screen I want a permanent type of screen with a frame.

Thanks

Wayne

wayne99 said:
I was just wondering if there are certain frames or whatever (screens) you can buy for a projector ??

I am developing my basement and I think a projector is the way to go. I want to hang it from the ceiling and project as large as possible on the wall. Just wondering if there are links for some screens so I can see what size they come in. I don't want a pull down screen I want a permanent type of screen with a frame.

Thanks

Wayne
Try here www.avsforum.com go to displays and you will find what you need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)