XBOX One Owners Thread

In case you missed it (which is very likely) 3 new games were added to BC: Jet Set Radio, MX vs ATV Reflex and Texas Hold 'Em

Lol BC sounded great but they haven't hardly brought out any games that anyone wanted. I was so hoping to sell my 360.... Hahaha

Well honestly the BC is better than nothing. As far as no great games, that's really on the Publishers more than Microsoft because they have to give permission. And also, unfortunately the emulation isn't 100%, so some games simply can't be emulated properly. I mean there isn't much reason to put a CoD game on BC if they can't keep a steady 60 FPS rate, as it immediately puts those players at a disadvantage.

Still, I think overall it's a much better option than what Sony has. I mean thanks to all the Gears games being on BC king3pj and I have been going through all the co-op campaigns of those games in preparation for Gears 4 (although whether we decide to do Judgement is still up for debate.) And Zero Punctuation brought up a good point about the new Ratchet and Clank game (which I played a little of and did enjoy but unfortunately didn't have time to invest much.) For people like us that haven't played any other R&C games and only have a PS4, the game almost comes across as an insult, as we can't easily go back and play the other 12 games in the series because of lack of BC. The only option is PSNow, which demands you not only have an awesome broadband connection but also a generous data cap, as opposed to Microsoft BC where you could in theory pick up a used copy cheap from somewhere and just put it in your console and get a compatible version that doesn't even need internet to run. Or I suppose you could scour the earth to find one of those first gen 60 GB PS3's that had hardware PS2 emulation, but that's hardly a practical solution either.

Point being, yes BC could be improved with the lineup, but just having it shows that Microsoft at least cares and is trying to offer a competitive advantage to their console with the ability to play older games for free, as opposed to Sony's options of either "Pay us to Rent your old games" or "Pay for them again with an HD uprezzing."

These games were also added yesterday and are currently on sale for $5 each.

Like yourbeliefs said, we have been getting some pretty good mileage out of backwards compatibility with the Gears series. These were some of my favorite games of the last generation but it had been quite a few years since I played them, and I had never played through any of them in co-op for more than a couple missions. After we played through Gears Ultimate Edition I had a strong urge to replay the rest of the series and I wouldn't have been able to do that without backwards compatibility since I no longer have a 360.

That being said, I'm not completely happy with the way it has been handled. I listened to an hour long podcast where Phil Spencer was interviewed about backwards compatibility before it launched. He specifically said that the entire 360 hardware is emulated instead of making emulators for individual games like they did on the 360. He said all games that don't require the 360 kinect will just work without any additional programming. He said that all they needed was publisher permission to make a game available and that they were shooting for 100% of Microsoft published games.

That isn't how things played out. It seems to be happening at a more consistent pace than original Xbox backwards compatiblity did last gen but they still don't even have all of their own games available. I thought about buying the Fable triple pack in the sale yesterday because I had never played any of those games. Unfortunately Fable Anniversary is not on the backwards compatible list. I would also like to finally play the original Crackdown before the new one comes out but Crackdown 1 and 2 aren't available either.

Really, though if they just added Red Dead Redemption so I could finally cross that one off my backlog I would be pretty happy. I have a PC that can take care of backwards compatibility for most of the last generation games for me. I'd rather buy them there if they are on both so I don't have to worry about whether they will work with the next console. All I really need are the console exclusives but I realize that isn't true for everyone.

Yeah hopeful it improves and they get the games people really want but I'm not holding my breath. The whole BC thing is a good idea but I still think it's mostly just hype so more people would buy the xb1.

That being said, I'm not completely happy with the way it has been handled. I listened to an hour long podcast where Phil Spencer was interviewed about backwards compatibility before it launched. He specifically said that the entire 360 hardware is emulated instead of making emulators for individual games like they did on the 360. He said all games that don't require the 360 kinect will just work without any additional programming. He said that all they needed was publisher permission to make a game available and that they were shooting for 100% of Microsoft published games.

Well, wouldn't be the first time a major guy in gaming lied unfortunately, and sadly won't be the last. Or at the very least he was deceived by those in the know. The idea that 2 systems with completely different architectures would allow for easy emulation is a joke if you know anything about that sort of stuff. Power PC to x64 architecture isn't what I would call "easy", and there's a good reason why Power PC has bit the dust while x86/64 architecture has become the go-to for developers.

Still, as I said I like it better than what Sony is doing. I mean I understand them not doing BC like Microsoft is because as crazy as Power PC might be, their Cell-architecture was a whole different beast that may be impossible to duplicate. Also don't forget the fact that because of BC, Games with Gold now has 4 games every month which could include AAA releases from past gen, as opposed to PS+ which may have 3 games at the most with PS4 releases, and 9 times out of 10 they're smaller indie games.

To be clear I strongly prefer what Microsoft is doing both in terms of backwards compatibility and Games With Gold. Backwards compatibility just hasn't fully lived up to the claims made when it was announced. Like I said though, if they just added Red Dead Redemption they would have most of what I want covered. Everything else is just a bonus.

Reactions: WiCkeDuDe
My big complaint used to be that Black Ops 1 wasn't on BC, but since I got into 3 I've stopped caring about the wait. I mean I'm just never going to get rid of my 360 due to my Rock Band/Guitar Hero/Dance Central DLC collection. I've invested hundreds of dollars in those and I'm not willing to just let that go, even though my playtime of those games has been minimal at best, and next to nothing at worst. MAYBE if I could import all my Rock Band stuff for a reasonable price and get the updated hardware (ALL of it) with game for under $100 I might consider retiring it (even though nowadays I think I'd get $20 trade in for it) but until I can get 100% transfer of songs my 360 is safe where it is.

I would have kept mine too if it wasn't an original 20GB model on it's last legs. The disc drive would fail to read my games every once in a while and that started happening more and more frequently in that last year or two. I ended up only using it for exclusives and getting everything else on PS3 to try to make it last longer. Because the actual usable storage was only about 12GB switching to digital versions of my games wasn't really a viable option.

When I saw Gamestop advertising double trade in credit for consoles and games a couple months before the PS4/Xbox One launch I packed it up along with all my 360 games for about $400 worth of in store credit. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on all the stuff I traded in.

If my 360 was still working properly it would be boxed up in my basement like my PS3. Actually it would probably be temporarily hooked back up right now to play my digital copy of Red Dead.

Yeah my PS3 went out the door when gamestop was offering $150 trade in credit towards the PS4 for it. My PS3 didn't get as much attention as my 360 did because I just felt the 360 ran better and it had more of the exclusives I liked, not to mention I had more 360 friends than I did PS3 friends at the time.

Speaking of BC, two new additions. Sonic & Knuckles and Phantasy Star 2.

Yeah I'm sure many people here couldn't care less but to be fair these are 2 classic games, and Phantasy Star 2 was the first RPG I ever truly loved, more than the Final Fantasy series. I still have the old hint book that came with it. And they're not kidding, the adventure WOULD be very difficult without this guide.

IMG_20160505_135431.jpg

Boy, looking through this book brings back good memories. I may have to install this on my phone and play it during my numerous downtimes out and about, because nowadays its harder to have the patience to play these things on a console/computer.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/5/115...asy-star-2-xbox-one-backward-compatible-games

If they would get RDR, GTA4, Batman Origins, Arkham City and Asylum, and the Dead Rising Games I would be pretty happy with BC.

If they would get RDR, GTA4, Batman Origins, Arkham City and Asylum, and the Dead Rising Games I would be pretty happy with BC.
Well don't expect the Batman games to come to BC because that's getting a Remastered Release. That's another issue with BC, where it obviously makes more sense for publishers to not allow games to be converted so that they don't conflict with any possible re-releases/remasters. And likewise, due to the news from last week it's a pretty good bet that Modern Warfare won't be released on BC anytime this millenium.

On a different topic, this made me laugh.

EhGOSAr.png

Didn't know the batman series was doing a remaster. That is fine with me as long as they don't charge a ton to purchase them.

I can't imagine the game costing more than $40. One thing to note is that the package only includes Arkham Asylum and City. Origins is NOT included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts