XBOX One Owners Thread

Well, to be fair, Overwatch is out also. Maybe the boost has been offset by everyone flocking over to that game. Speaking of, goddamn that's getting gangbuster reviews and such. Is the full version THAT much better than the beta? I mean unless there's also a standard arena/deathmatch mode I see this game falling out of favor with me somewhat quickly.

Well, to be fair, Overwatch is out also. Maybe the boost has been offset by everyone flocking over to that game. Speaking of, goddamn that's getting gangbuster reviews and such. Is the full version THAT much better than the beta? I mean unless there's also a standard arena/deathmatch mode I see this game falling out of favor with me somewhat quickly.

I guess that is possible since they are both essentially multiplayer only games going after the same kind of audience. I still think something is up though.

I think the beta was the complete game. There might be some additional maps available now but the gameplay hasn't changed at all. There are no additional modes that weren't available in the beta. There is the standard quickplay, play vs bots, custom games, and arcade mode. Arcade mode has the potential to create some variety because it changes every week but you are still playing the same game. Arcade mode is just tweaks on the rules of the game. During the open beta it meant you automatically spawned with a random character every time you died. This week it's 200% health with faster ultimate and ability cool downs.

It might get old over time but it's really not all that different than most other online games. DOTA 2 literally has one map and it has been the most popular game on Steam for years. There isn't a whole lot of variety in other successful multiplayer games like TF2, CS:GO, or Rocket League either. If the gameplay is solid and balanced that is enough to keep a lot of people coming back even if there aren't a ton of modes.

Also, Blizzard has said that the game's micro-transactions will allow them to continue to release free updates over time. You can buy extra loot crates if you want to get more skins and cosmetic items. I'm all for this if it means we get more characters, maps, and new modes without having to buy a season pass.

Last edited:
Rumor has it Microsoft is releasing a smaller, cheaper Xbox One in the fall, and a more powerful version is coming in 2017.

http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

I wouldn't mind a smaller One. I'm sorry but the current one looks like a damn front loader VCR.

It seems like the more powerful Xbox One might be a reaction to the upgraded PS4 which is ironic because Phil Spencer said he would like to do something like that before we even heard rumors about a new PS4. The reason I say that is because it seems weird to release a slim this year if they were already planing to release a stronger console.The only reason I can think of to not release the stronger console this year is because it's not ready yet but it sounds like Sony's is.

It would have made more sense to release the stronger console this year to compete with the PS4.5 instead of releasing a smaller form factor on hardware that was already weaker than the original PS4. I think this is just going to make them fall even further behind Sony. It's going to be tough to sell a smaller Xbox One that probably still won't be smaller than the original PS4 when the competition is a slightly stronger PS4 and a significantly stronger PS4.5.

It'll be interesting to see these new consoles come out, which will be (hopefully) around the time that I build myself a new rig that will once again surpass them. If they can somehow create a device that's on par with an i7 (or high rated i5)/SSD/GTX 1080/144p device THEN I'll be impressed.

It'll be interesting to see these new consoles come out, which will be (hopefully) around the time that I build myself a new rig that will once again surpass them. If they can somehow create a device that's on par with an i7 (or high rated i5)/SSD/GTX 1080/144p device THEN I'll be impressed.

I don't think you'll see anything like that. An i5 is about $200 on it's own with an i7 being $300 and up depending on the model. Then the GTX 1080 at $600 costs more by itself than they would be able to charge for a console. An i5 and a 1080 puts them at $800 and that isn't even including RAM, storage, blu-ray drive, casing, fans, power supply, controller, etc....

I know that they can get significantly discounted hardware because of the sheer number of units they would be buying but I would be surprised if either of the new consoles are stronger than your current GTX 960 build. Considering that the original PS4 has a GPU comparable to my old Radeon 7850 getting to the 960/970 equivalent would mean that the new consoles were 2 to 3 times more powerful than the original. I doubt we will see that huge of a jump if they want games to still be compatible with both versions of the hardware.

There really is no point to the 144p thing because people would need to hook their consoles up to a monitor to be able to see it. As far as I know, there are no TVs that are capable of displaying more than 60 FPS. The ones that are labeled with higher refresh rates like 240Hz still have 60Hz inputs. They just display each frame 4 times.

As long as games still run okay on the original hardware I probably won't be buying the new models unless the ones I own die. My worry is that games will start coming out that run worse than the 900p/30FPS we are already seeing on many new games. Developers are going to start targeting the newer hardware and they totally should. The problem comes when we start seeing games that aren't also optimized well for the original hardware. As long as they scale the graphics options down properly it shouldn't be a problem but we all know that there will be games that do a bad job of this.

Unfortunately this isn't one of the SSX games from the Original Xbox/PS2. I liked those games as a kid but I have the feeling that it's one of those games that is better in my memory than it really was. I don't remember much hype around this 360/PS3 reboot but I would still probably check it out if it was ever added to Games With Gold.

Edit: Unsurprisingly many of the replies to this tweet are asking for SSX 3 or Tricky.

Edit 2: Looks like this was already part of Games With Gold in December 2014. Unfortunately that was before backwards compatibility was announced and I no longer had a 360 so I stopped grabbing the free games for that platform. Looks like I won't be playing this one.

Cool! I actually liked this game quite a bit. Yeah it arguably isn't as good as the other ones mentioned but I found it to be quite fun. I also get the feeling that this'll be added to EA Access soon (If it isn't already there.)

Its limited until their E3 hardware announcements and then things will probably be set in stone in context with new SKUs being announced.

Despite the sales difference the console is doing well, the ps4 is doing exceptional though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Preview is nice. Loving Cortana so far, Kinect is more responsive though will have to get used to a more conversational tone. Interested to see how the kids and my wife do with it.

I hope "Xbox pause" still works because that is probably my most used voice command. If it doesn't it wouldn't be the end of the world but changing it to "hey Cortana pause" just seems more clunky.

Yup, it's now Hey Cortana, pause. It's a mouthful.

Even turning the console on now is more reliable. Hey Cortana turns the Kinect light on, then Xbox on.

Supposedly that was one of the main reasons for the switch. I guess "hey Cortanna ..." is a lot easier for the voice recognition software to pick up than "Xbox .... "

Rocket League is having a free weekend on Xbox Live starting today. I already own Rocket League on PS4 and PC but I still might participate in this just to try and party up with my cousins that play on Xbox.

Not that this will apply to many people, but this free weekend and discount is for ALL Live members, not just Gold ones.

Speaking of cousins, I tried to get them into this game when it was announced but they looked at me like "Yeah, whatever" but I think when they actually get to play it they'll finally "get it."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts