XBOX One Owners Thread

Looks like you already figured it out while I was typing that up. Let us know how it works.
It works fine. It's nice to be able to take Skype calls on the big screen while watching TV.
I like the OneGuide, especially the screen shots and descriptions inside the guide itself.
However, it is slower than the guide in the Joey itself. I mean, the navigation is fast, but when you select the program it slowly dials the digits, e.g. 2--0--0 and it takes noticeable time. So, I am not sure if it will be too useful. We'll see.

It works fine. It's nice to be able to take Skype calls on the big screen while watching TV.
I like the OneGuide, especially the screen shots and descriptions inside the guide itself.
However, it is slower than the guide in the Joey itself. I mean, the navigation is fast, but when you select the program it slowly dials the digits, e.g. 2--0--0 and it takes noticeable time. So, I am not sure if it will be too useful. We'll see.
Everything is only going to get better. Firmware updates will help significantly. The Wii U interface when it first released ran like a 386 computer (from what I've read.) Since then it's become much better and more stable. We can only expect the same from M$

Anyone still looking for one? They are still available on Target.com if you buy an additional wireless controller as a bundle. Something I bought with mine anyway, but just FYI. :)

Do you have a 5.1 setup? If so is the beta conversion to 5.1 PCM or DTS working on the Joey? They are saying it works with some cable/satellite boxes but not all. That is a big factor for whether or not I want to use the Xbox One TV integration.

Do you have a 5.1 setup? If so is the beta conversion to 5.1 PCM or DTS working on the Joey? They are saying it works with some cable/satellite boxes but not all. That is a big factor for whether or not I want to use the Xbox One TV integration.
Currently I have it hooked up to a standalone TV set in the leaving room. So, no 5.1 at the moment. Over the weekend I am going to try it in my home theater room. Then I will see what it actually does to video and sound.

Does anyone know if the 12-month Xbox Live Gold membership is the same for the Xbox One and the 360?
I have purchased it for my upcoming Xbox One, but the card I have received from Amazon says Xbox 360 and doesn't mention Xbox One.
Just want to make sure I got the right item. Thanks!

A gold membership works on both systems. If you have a subscription to either system, it carries to the other. Just logon with the same email address that the membership is registered to and you are, pardon the pun, Golden.

One more complaint they had about TV integration. They said it won't pass through TV when it is in standby mode. This means you either have to leave your Xbox One on all day hogging power or boot it up each time you want to watch TV. That's not a huge hassle, especially when you can just say "Xbox On" but it's still another step when watching TV.

According to MS, they designed the thing to be left on for 10 years (I don't how they test that claim). Yes, it eats more juice, but if you are like me and have a missus who has no patience for making it even more complicated to watch TV, it will be worth it just to leave it on all the time.

I heard a pretty in depth review of the TV stuff on the Giant Bombcast this week. The person reviewing it was using a Directv DVR. The general summary is that it works really well for some things and not at all for others. First it doesn't sound like there is any way to watch DVR recordings without using your remote.

Second, the Kinect voice recognition seems to have trouble with channel names. ESPN was the main example he used but he said this is also true for HBO or other families of channels that start with the same name. He said if you say "Xbox watch ESPN 2" (or ESPNU, ESPNews, ESPN Classic) the kinect stops listening after it hears ESPN. It thinks you wanted to watch the main ESPN channel no matter which words you say after that. He also couldn't get it to recognize AMC. He said it would bring up other channels like A&E and Spike TV instead. Speaking of Spike TV and other channels with "TV" in them... He said the Xbox would just think he was saying "Watch TV" instead of the channel he said. Some other channels like TVG apparently aren't recognized by the abbreviation they use in the logo and on your guide. You have to say TV Game Network instead but when you say the TV part at the beginning it confuses the Kinect. He said he was able to get it to recognize some of these problem channels by adding them to the favorite channel list. Apparently the channels in your favorites list get higher priority from the Kinect voice sensor.

One other issue is that for some reason it strips out the Dolby Digital 5.1 track from your cable/satellite box. You can choose to have it convert the DD5.1 to PCM 5.1 or DTS 5.1 but this is still in beta and apparently it doesn't work with all cable/satellite boxes. By default, it just turns your DD5.1 audio into stereo PCM. There is currently no way to just pass the DD5.1 audio through unaltered. Depending on how well the conversion works and if there is any loss of audio quality that would be enough reason for me to skip the TV integration feature. If it successfully converted my Hopper audio to PCM 5.1 with no noticeable quality loss I would probably still use it. There is no way I'm going back to stereo for all my Dish programing though.

I couldn't get the XB1 to control my 722, but I have an equipment off to the side and it doesn't bounce the signal at an angle. I actually wound up going to a Comcast place nearby to get one as neither Radio Shack nor Best Buy carries just the IR blaster cable. I described to them what I was looking for and the clerk went to a cabinet and handed it to me and said "You're my first to ask for this, I guess we better bring a lot more of these in". Looks like a good quality one with a jellybean size emitter and a long cord. I will test it when I get home later.

As for the surround sound issue, there is a check box deep in the settings menu that lets you click "surround sound (beta)". It passes through unfiltered 7.1 sound, which I verified it worked as it pinged each speaker in my setup during the setup process. The Dolby Digital or DTS light doesn't light up on my Onkyo receiver though, and says PCM multichannel. I read an article that said this was due to last minute triage that bumped this item for a few months after launch, so it should come back soon. This also affects those of you who want to use Dolby Headphone signals.

Here is my question.... I used to use the optical out port on my 722 to send to my receiver which worked fine. Now that I am passing it through the HDMI port only for sound, does the 722 output a Dolby Digital signal that way, or is it only via the optical port, until they add the feature back to the XB1 in a future software download?

I picked up my unit at Best Buy (I was hooking it up around 12:20 am last night, and the software download went smooth..... I'm guessing the process will be slower as more systems slam their servers trying to download, but it did it in about 3 minutes last night over a 20MB broadband connection), after preordering it and got a Day One box. Controller is a little weird (thumbsticks are skinnier and taller, but have rubber tire like pads for better grip), the triggers have rumble built in (will nest it with Need for Speed Rivals tonight). One note, the Smartglass app is for 360 only. You have to download a different app for the XB1 smartglass app. My hulu plus subscription automatically came over when I logged in with my email, so you don't have to reenter all your access emails and passwords.

Last edited:
Oh that'll be fun.. In store pickup sucks enough when there's no one there.. let alone when everyone else is there to get their Ones as well..

Actually it went easy peasy at the night time launch at Best Buy. They let those of us in with preorders 30 minutes early. We bought any games and accessories separately. They stuck a sticker on our Xb1s and put it in a stack with the others. At 12:01 am, they started handing them out to those with the paid receipts with the matching "Box #". I was out the door at 12:05. The rest of the folks trying to get one without a preorder got the non-day one editions (green boxes vs. black ones). They were letting them in 5 at a clip, so I guess they would have worked through the line that was at my Brick, NJ store in about 90 minutes.

I like the voice control and the face recognition feature.
HDMI pass-through works, but I am still trying to figure out how to control the Joey from the Xbox.
Do I need an extra IR transmitter or something?

Neither Best Buy nor Radio Shack has them in stock. I found one at the local Comcast office that I got for free. And I don't even use Comcast.

Ok, it works. The IR emitter is actually in the Kinect. The IR beam will bounce off the back wall.
OneGuide is nice, but I am not sure yet how useful it will be.

As my equipment stack is recessed into the wall and off to the side of a 20 x 18 room it wouldn't work for me. The cord for the Kinect barely reached, but it works. The original Kinect could be extended with a standard USB extended cable. As the new one has a proprietary connector you are SOL for now. Look for several sites on the internet (try the modder sites first - not for pirate intent, but they supplied with my Wii sensor extender cables, which solved my problem 5 years ago as I have a 92" Stewart Firehawk screen that I use for my main viewing area).

OneGuide is getting soso reviews, but it may be a godsend if you leave it on all the time, and your Mother in Law comes over and just has to be taught to say "Xbox Watch FoxNews" to get what she wants.

Skype will be a big draw here. I feel like Captain Picard talking to my 92" screen.

Re: XB1 : Do you mean do they have an app like Verizon has? No.

If you are asking whether it will get guide data and pass through a signal from your receiver through the HDMI port of your D* receiver, then yes.

All of my E* sat receivers, AV receivers, laptops, game consoles, and BluRay players are wired into my network. The XBox 360 can only see the laptop. I haven't tried the XB1 yet.

Hopper Joey Xbox one

What remote code are people using with the Joey? It doesn't seem to be an option one the xbox one... I got the pass thru to work correctly, but so far no ability to change channels via the xbox one.

Thanks for any help on this!

What remote code are people using with the Joey? It doesn't seem to be an option one the xbox one... I got the pass thru to work correctly, but so far no ability to change channels via the xbox one.

Thanks for any help on this!

Once I've figured out that the IR emitter is in the Kinect, I pointed it straight at the Joey and let the Xbox select the code Automatically. The first code it tested, worked!

I then pointed the Kinect toward the room and made sure that there would be nothing in the way of the IR beam as it bonuses off the back wall and goes to the Joey. Everything works fine now.

If you can't make it work even when pointed directly at the Joey, then go to the Joey settings and make sure that IR remote is enabled.

So how would you get to your DVR recordings if you have your DirecTV or Dish DVR connected to your Xbox one?

I just got home and hooked up my sons XBOX One...

The only thing I can't figure out is how to change the name shown on his XBOX Live account as it says Welcome Scott instead of Welcome Richard.

Before everyone in the house was on a family account, now all the accounts say Welcome Scott but show the correct avatars and info for those accounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts