xx24 software is here! - 8/24/2022

They do have the Android software. The method they used to download was not via satellite.
Thanks! That's what I thought, since the download occurs in the background, while I am using the receiver for other things. It acts just like any other streaming download, such as VOD, etc. That is why it confused me when HipKat said I didn't have the Android software.

To clarify, the software pictured is available to the public. I do not have a Beta receiver. To see these versions, go to Tools > Technician Settings > Download ATV Files
That is true but only some receivers are targeted to receive vit. If your receiver is not targeted you will receive an error message when you try to download

While you may have the Hopper software to support the Android platform, you do not have the actual Android software as you don't have an Android device. Confused yet? :D
In any event, the software versions I listed are publicly available (by some method) but are not listed in the "official" (sticky) new software thread for this month (which had not even been posted yet at the time I started this thread). So, I thought it would be a good idea to list them here, whatever these particular software versions actually do.

The original discussion (from last month's new software thread) was about whether someone who pre-downloads "the Hopper software to support the Android platform" would then be able to manually install an Android-capable device (without needing an installer's help) and simply let the "actual Android software" download by itself (or force another download via the same method as the supporting Hopper software download). So which is it? Do I have all of the necessary software to start the installation (if I ever get a Hopper+) or is an installer's USB drive still required?

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is true but only some receivers are targeted to receive vit. If your receiver is not targeted you will receive an error message when you try to download
Okay, that makes more sense. So, the USB drives are for Hopper 2's or 3's that are not yet targeted for the new software, to force them to take the update. Once all receivers are targeted, then the USB drives will no longer be necessary. Do I have that right?

My understanding is that the first download of software for the Hopper+ is done via the USB drive. Henceforth the downloads will be automatic in background. If you don't have the Hopper+ and download the latest Hopper software you still will have to have the USB update when your Hopper+ is connected for it to function properly. I don't think the Joey4's will work without a Hopper+ because they are Android and the Hopper+ is Android but the Hopper 3 is not (I could be wrong about this last bit).

If you don't have the Hopper+ and download the latest Hopper software you still will have to have the USB update when your Hopper+ is connected for it to function properly.
Well, yes and no (maybe). When I did the H324 download, all of the old "make Hopper ready for Android" software versions (that I posted in the xx21 thread) were wiped out. They disappeared from the Diagnostics screen. However, I selected the Download ATV Files button again after the main software download, and those files (that I posted in post number 2) downloaded in the background just like the old versions. They are now listed on the Diagnostics screen, under Available Joey Software.

I assume that the only reason the old "P" (and "P...xx") versions disappeared after the satellite software download was because I do not have an Android device. For someone with a Hopper+ and/or Joey 4's, those versions should stay on the Diagnostics screen and be automatically updated with each new software release, right? Or do you have to manually download the ATV files each time the software version changes?

Updated the Wallys today to W524. Interesting how it jumped from 21 straight to 24. Anyway, this one took a really long time, almost a half hour for some reason.
Not that interesting, since there was no 22 for Wally, and no 23 for anyone. (Not publicly, anyway.)

My Wally update was relatively quick. Unlike what I reported in the xx21 thread, the Wally did not need to go to Boot Recovery mode to complete the 24 download. (The first time, anyway.) I like to be thorough, so I went back to Tools, and selected the Upgrade Software button again. It started the download again. (I have seen that glitch before, where it will not recognize that it already has the latest software, so it does the download again instead of putting the usual pop-up on screen about already having the latest version. That is why I always double-check, just to make sure that pop-up displays properly.) After the second download, my Wally needed to do the Boot Recovery. After that, the Tools menu displayed the pop-up about having the latest version like normal.

Thanks! That's what I thought, since the download occurs in the background, while I am using the receiver for other things. It acts just like any other streaming download, such as VOD, etc. That is why it confused me when HipKat said I didn't have the Android software.
Because according to Dish the Android TV software will not download over Satellite, only USB

Okay, that makes more sense. So, the USB drives are for Hopper 2's or 3's that are not yet targeted for the new software, to force them to take the update. Once all receivers are targeted, then the USB drives will no longer be necessary. Do I have that right?
Jim5506

The USB DrivesI'm referring to are how we update all the Hoppers and Wallys to the newest Software at Install, or in my case, pre-downloaded at my house. The Software detects the type of receiver so it knows what packages to install. Right now, the USB Drives we carry have the latest software packages and the Android TV software which will install on Hopper 3's and Slings. The Hopper 3 takes about an hour to install, and about 80 minutes for the slings. That Android platform, right now, is not available on the Sats to be downloaded via OTA.

The USB Drives are for technicians only and will always be how we install software on the receivers. I should have been more clear about that

Because according to Dish the Android TV software will not download over Satellite, only USB

According to Hipkat the Android software will not download from the Satellite. But Pattykay claims to have downloaded the Android software. I am wondering if the download took place over his internet connection rather than the satellite. It could be that the Dish installers have the Android software via a USB drive since they don’t know how fast a customers internet is. I am just guessing.

According to Hipkat the Android software will not download from the Satellite. But Pattykay claims to have downloaded the Android software. I am wondering if the download took place over his internet connection rather than the satellite. It could be that the Dish installers have the Android software via a USB drive since they don’t know how fast a customers internet is. I am just guessing.
From our training, just to be clear for you guys, "The files are not available over the satellite. As stated in the update process, you can download the Android software over the internet for Hopper+ Upgrades, not for New Connects. This may change in the future but currently, the Hopper is not able to do this for New Connects, so USB is the only option."

You do have the latest software versions, but you don’t have the android software which can only be downloaded off of one of our USB drives that we carry. Dish has reiterated several times this week that the android software cannot be downloaded over satellite.

I’m afraid you’re probably going to have to wait until they start releasing these to existing customers next month unless something changes before then

They do have the Android software. The method they used to download was not via satellite.

From our training, just to be clear for you guys, "The files are not available over the satellite. As stated in the update process, you can download the Android software over the internet for Hopper+ Upgrades, not for New Connects. This may change in the future but currently, the Hopper is not able to do this for New Connects, so USB is the only option."
Just to be clear, brittanygarden is Dish Technical Operations and does know her stuff. If she says pattykay has the andriod software by doing what she did then I have to believe that is correct. When I go to Technician Settings on my Hopper 3 (H324) I see a tile to download ATV software. So, your initial training may be outdated at this point.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, brittanygarden is Dish Technical Operations and does know her stuff. If she says pattykay has the andriod software by doing what she did then I have to believe that is correct. When I go to Technician Settings on my Hopper 3 (H324) I see a tile to download ATV software. So, your initial training may be outdated at this point.
Revisiting this, brittany was clear that the software did not come from satellite so that means that it came from the internet. So, if you don't have internet hooked up to your receiver you would need that USB to download the software. Of course if you don't have internet there is no need for the software because Android is dependent on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts