Yankee's Crying Poor?

I believe all players should get what they can, but there is NO WAY a player that plays every 4 or 5 days should make as much as an everyday player.....period.

Why not?

A pitcher logs in just as much, if not more work in 1 day of pitching than a position player logs in 4-5 days total!

That's like saying a nurse who works three 14 hour shifts for 40+ hours a week doesn't deserve the same pay for logging in the same amount of work that a typical 8hr/day employee does in a typical 5 day workweek. :rolleyes:

Tell me which infielder or outfielder has to make 100 throws and has to exert as much effort in a 4 day span than a stud pitcher does in 1 outing? Most of the time the outfielder just grazes in the outfield until a ball happens to be hit their way. The pitcher on the other hand has to think about strike counts, which pitch to make in which circumstance and how to execute it. The pitcher is involved with EVERY play that they're in the game. The only other player that can relate would be the catcher.

Why not?

A pitcher logs in just as much, if not more work in 1 day of pitching than a position player logs in 4-5 days total!

That's like saying a nurse who works three 14 hour shifts for 40+ hours a week doesn't deserve the same pay for logging in the same amount of work that a typical 8hr/day employee does in a typical 5 day workweek. :rolleyes:

Tell me which infielder or outfielder has to make 100 throws and has to exert as much effort in a 4 day span than a stud pitcher does in 1 outing? Most of the time the outfielder just grazes in the outfield until a ball happens to be hit their way. The pitcher on the other hand has to think about strike counts, which pitch to make in which circumstance and how to execute it. The pitcher is involved with EVERY play that they're in the game. The only other player that can relate would be the catcher.

Now there is some common sense! :D

Sandra

Get ready to cry louder.
Yankees Sign Burnett

By Tim Dierkes [December 12 at 3:56pm CST]
According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, the Yankees signed A.J. Burnett to a five-year, $82.5MM deal. That's $243.5MM spent on the Yankees on starting pitching, unless C.C. Sabathia opts out. The Braves will have to figure out a Plan B.

Still, it's a change from previous Yankee spending sales.

The Bombers used to load up on hitters- now, they are getting pitchers.

Regardless of how much money is being thrown around, the Yankees are doing something smart.

As we saw in the 2006 season, great hitting does NOT trump great pitching.

The world economy is in the crapper, people are losing jobs, companies are folding and the entertainment and sports industries continue like they are immune to the rest of the world. I hope the American people open their eyes to this nonsense, say enough to the ridiculous amounts of money entertainers and sportsmen get and stop feeding these people's egos by continuing to pay inflationary ticket prices in a deflationary and troubled world. At the rate we're going, this might happen sooner rather than later anyway.

Not to rub people the wrong way on this site but the Yankees, to me, I don't know, sometimes has this "Well I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude. It just seems like that they have this "We should win every year" and its seems kind of like they whining about it. They couldn't make the playoffs, ie, can't there way, so they spend a ridicolous amount of money. I mean Sabathia made the Yankees look like fools holding them up for weeks.
That's what I'm talking about. Who the hell is CC Sabathia to hold the Yankees up? If you were Cashman you tell him here's the deal and we'll give a day or 2 days for you to answer yes or no. I mean Sabathia held the Yankees up since before Thanksgiving. Now you sign A.J. Burnett. Really. More money splashing around on a guy, who if you look is a) injury prone and b) I believe he pitched well on walk year.

Just take a look at his career stats. I mean I wouldn't fall over this guy. I would've rather taken Derek Lowe. [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4153"]A.J. Burnett Stats, News, Photos - New York Yankees - ESPN[/ame]

Not to rub people the wrong way on this site but the Yankees, to me, I don't know, sometimes has this "Well I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude. It just seems like that they have this "We should win every year" and its seems kind of like they whining about it. They couldn't make the playoffs, ie, can't there way, so they spend a ridicolous amount of money. I mean Sabathia made the Yankees look like fools holding them up for weeks.
That's what I'm talking about. Who the hell is CC Sabathia to hold the Yankees up? If you were Cashman you tell him here's the deal and we'll give a day or 2 days for you to answer yes or no. I mean Sabathia held the Yankees up since before Thanksgiving. Now you sign A.J. Burnett. Really. More money splashing around on a guy, who if you look is a) injury prone and b) I believe he pitched well on walk year.

Just take a look at his career stats. I mean I wouldn't fall over this guy. I would've rather taken Derek Lowe. ESPN - A.J. Burnett Stats, News, Photos - Toronto Blue Jays

I will agree I think Burnett is a risk. He only seems to pitch well against the Red Sox and Yankees, and in walk years. If that trends keeps things won't go so well. Hopefully it doesn't. Personally I would have preferred Lowe, but I do think they're doing the right thing by bringing in starting pitching.

With Mussina gone, the uncertainty of Wang and Joba, not to mention Pettite, and not knowing if/when Hughes and Kennedy will start contributing, they're doing what they need to do. After missing the playoffs I'm actually surprised they're not going after Texeira as well.

No idea what you mean that they're whining about it. They're doing what they think they need to do, and have the money to do. I haven't heard any whining type comments at all.

Well, that's not true. I have heard some whining, but not by the Yankees.

By people in this thread! ;)

Sandra

Forget time till tell. Paying a starting pitcher the 3rd biggest contract in baseball history to a ball player that DOES NOT play everyday is CLEARLY irresponsible!

But when have the Yankees done ANYTHING clearly or responsible.:rolleyes:;)

Obviously you haven't checked the value of the Yankees franchise recently. :rolleyes:

Or the OVER 4 million in attendance they get EVERY YEAR now. :cool:

Or the attendance they draw to ballparks when they are on the road. :eek:

Or the revenues from branded merchandise. :hungry:

You seem to be forgetting that no matter what we fans think, this is a BUSINESS first and foremost.

Not to rub people the wrong way on this site but the Yankees, to me, I don't know, sometimes has this "Well I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude. It just seems like that they have this "We should win every year" and its seems kind of like they whining about it.

Wouldn't you just LOVE the Mets to have a "WE SHOULD WIN EVERY YEAR' attitude?

Now, don't LIE.

Still, it's a change from previous Yankee spending sales.

The Bombers used to load up on hitters- now, they are getting pitchers.

Regardless of how much money is being thrown around, the Yankees are doing something smart.

As we saw in the 2006 season, great hitting does NOT trump great pitching.

I don't really agree that they didn't load up on pitchers - it's just that pitching doesn't always work out (obviously).

Don't forget the following big, free agent pitchers they have signed or traded for in the past 15 years (and I bet I am forgetting a few):

Jimmie Key
David Cone
Roger Clemens
Mike Mussina
Randy Johnson
Carl Pavano :)confused:)
Hideki Irabu :)eek:) - lots of money to the Japanese league to sign him
Kenny Rogers

Why not?

Really?? You are gonna tell me that a starting pitcher cal only "relate" to the work as a catcher does? Hell bullpen catchers log more throw and more Bullsh!t thrown in the dirt because of "my bad" by pitchers. Infielders are throwing DAILY for HOURS before game time in the major league level. When was the last time YOU came to the ball park at the same time everyday players come in? IF game time is 7:30pm, players report to the park at approx. 2pm and already throwing at full arm strength within 1 hour of getting to the ball park and 3 hours before game time. Then there is infield practice, batting practice and certain drills.....ALL hours before game time. Starting pitchers throw once or twice between starts and most of that is long toss, SOME, if nursing or recovering from arm injuries, throw simulated games or live BP.

Obviously you haven't checked the value of the Yankees franchise recently. :rolleyes:

Or the OVER 4 million in attendance they get EVERY YEAR now. :cool:

Or the attendance they draw to ballparks when they are on the road. :eek:

Or the revenues from branded merchandise. :hungry:

You seem to be forgetting that no matter what we fans think, this is a BUSINESS first and foremost.

We are not talking value, we are talking spending...and spending smart. Does Carl Pavano ring a bell? Sabathia is a very good pitcher, but not a Johan Santana...and even HE got way, way too much money. Now. with the AJ Burnett signing, they spend money on a guy that has HOW MANY MLB wins??!! And spent ALOT to say the least.

Believe me, NO one forgets how "valuable" the franchise is because Yankees fans never seem to let us forget it.:rolleyes:

Really?? You are gonna tell me that a starting pitcher cal only "relate" to the work as a catcher does? Hell bullpen catchers log more throw and more Bullsh!t thrown in the dirt because of "my bad" by pitchers. Infielders are throwing DAILY for HOURS before game time in the major league level. When was the last time YOU came to the ball park at the same time everyday players come in? IF game time is 7:30pm, players report to the park at approx. 2pm and already throwing at full arm strength within 1 hour of getting to the ball park and 3 hours before game time. Then there is infield practice, batting practice and certain drills.....ALL hours before game time. Starting pitchers throw once or twice between starts and most of that is long toss, SOME, if nursing or recovering from arm injuries, throw simulated games or live BP.

Pitches in the dirt, game times, batting practice...this thread has officialy gone way off course.

Salsa, you're not a real big baseball fan, are you?

Sandra

:up:up:up

Pitches in the dirt, game times, batting practice...this thread has officialy gone way off course.

Sandra

He's just saying how it is.

We are not talking value, we are talking spending...and spending smart. Does Carl Pavano ring a bell? Sabathia is a very good pitcher, but not a Johan Santana...and even HE got way, way too much money. Now. with the AJ Burnett signing, they spend money on a guy that has HOW MANY MLB wins??!! And spent ALOT to say the least.

Believe me, NO one forgets how "valuable" the franchise is because Yankees fans never seem to let us forget it.:rolleyes:

From everything I have been looking at Sabathia has been improving every year - his upside potential is great as I see it. AJ Burnett has a killer record against AL East teams (and killed the Yanks as well) including Boston. The Yanks should have the offense again to score mega runs, and these 2 pitchers should thrive in this type of environment.

To your other point - making the playoffs 13 straight years is NOT spending smart? I totally disagree. And as I have already alluded to, not every decision made by them (or any team works out). The NY Rangers and NY Knicks, now those are teams that haven't spent smart - they have the highest payrolls and the Knicks have sucked for way too long, and until like 3 years ago, how many years in a row was it that the Rangers didn't make the playoffs either? Boston RedSox, with the second highest payroll has only made the playoffs maybe 3 straight years during this same time. The Mets with the highest NL payroll have only made it consecutive years during this time.

I guess it depends on what your measurement of success is. 4 million plus in attendance every year, huge crowds to see them on the road, sounds pretty successful to me. I don't have any grand illusion that a championship can be won every year, but I like having my team in the playoffs virtually every year.

From everything I have been looking at Sabathia has been improving every year - his upside potential is great as I see it. AJ Burnett has a killer record against AL East teams (and killed the Yanks as well) including Boston. The Yanks should have the offense again to score mega runs, and these 2 pitchers should thrive in this type of environment.

To your other point - making the playoffs 13 straight years is NOT spending smart? I totally disagree. And as I have already alluded to, not every decision made by them (or any team works out). The NY Rangers and NY Knicks, now those are teams that haven't spent smart - they have the highest payrolls and the Knicks have sucked for way too long, and until like 3 years ago, how many years in a row was it that the Rangers didn't make the playoffs either? Boston RedSox, with the second highest payroll has only made the playoffs maybe 3 straight years during this same time. The Mets with the highest NL payroll have only made it consecutive years during this time.

I guess it depends on what your measurement of success is. 4 million plus in attendance every year, huge crowds to see them on the road, sounds pretty successful to me. I don't have any grand illusion that a championship can be won every year, but I like having my team in the playoffs virtually every year.

So let me get this straight....just so I get where you are coming from....Becuase they have averaged almost or around 4 million, that makes them a success. Financially, yeah. I mean then the same can be said about the Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves, Phillies...ALL the BIG MARKET team. Just because you have success in the pocket, does not mean AUTOMATIC success on the field. To me, the Yankees are like Notre Dame football....just about every year, they get the best of the best....and yet wen was the last time they won a World Series? The Yankee organization and their fans do not measure success by having the most fans or making the playoffs every year, they measure by World Championships....and if I remember correct....we live in the world of "what have you don lately"....;)

As far as Sabathia, don't get me wrong, he is without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best pitchers in the game. But NO STARING pitcher, in my opinion...is worth that much....much less an every day player.

Sandra

NOW I can start answering some of this wonderful junk mail. I have been in baseball almost as long as you been alive, from little leagues, to college to single A ball to now being assistant head baseball coach at one of the best baseball programs in all of Florida and the United States. So to question my love for baseball is pretty funny.

I have bit my tongue to some of the silly little comments you have made because I do try to be a gentleman.....but if you want to be treated like the boys, I will surely will be treating you like one from now on.:up:D;)

I have been in baseball almost as long as you been alive, from little leagues, to college to single A ball to now being assistant head baseball coach at one of the best baseball programs in all of Florida and the United States. So to question my love for baseball is pretty funny.

To say that Salsa loves the game of baseball is to say that Al Davis is an incompetent buffoon of an owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)