Yanks v. Sox Series is Huge

Seems to me the Yanks held their OWN ALL SEASON losing 2 much more productive RBI guys (Matsui and Sheffiled - average 235 RBIs a year).

Injuries are NOT supposed to be excuses at the pro level.

How SWEEP it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScoBuck said:
Seems to me the Yanks held their OWN ALL SEASON losing 2 much more productive RBI guys (Matsui and Sheffiled - average 235 RBIs a year).

How SWEEP it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It doesn't matter, the yanks bench is full of All Stars so when someone goes down, Torre justs looks around and asks "Who wants to play?"

I have to comend the Yanks, when I saw Matsui and then Sheff go down, I thought theres no way they can win this year, also thier pitching was not doing well at the time....
The Red Sox on the other hand did nothing to take advantage of the Yanks being shorthanded.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I don't now if I agree that the bench is full of all-stars, but I will say that playing for the Yankees seems to make good players better. Just look at Melky Cabrera, Sal Fasano, Nick Green, and Craig Wilson. I really like Melky Cabrera. I like his hustle and his spirit. I think just playing for the Yankees has a lot to do with that.

sidekick said:
I don't now if I agree that the bench is full of all-stars, but I will say that playing for the Yankees seems to make good players better. Just look at Melky Cabrera, Sal Fasano, Nick Green, and Craig Wilson. I really like Melky Cabrera. I like his hustle and his spirit. I think just playing for the Yankees has a lot to do with that.
You are correct in pointing out the kids they have brought up this year, I was refering to any other year when some one went down they would go out and buy a Sheffelf , because the team he was playing for could not handle the 300 million (fictisious number soooo far) dollar contracts of the greedy players now make.
The Yanks use the other teams as a bench for thier team (Sox can do this too, but most cannot). They more than likely look at who's contracts are huge and decide who they want to pick up in the next year (or current) , with contract going out of style, most teams cannot continue to afford most players in the 3-7th years of thier contracts, so the yanks can afford it due to all thier different revenue streams, and Stienbrenner's obsession for haveing normally an all star team on the field.
It floored me when he did not get Soriono back. Soriono is about the first big time player the yanks did not out bid everyone for.

It's good to see people like Cabrera and Cano that are actually getting to play in NY, 2 current players that came up from the farm system. (reciently, I know Jeter and Williams and maybe someone else I missed came thru the farms system too).

Last edited:
It's good to see people like Cabrera and Cano that are actually getting to play in NY, 2 current players that came up from the farm system. (reciently, I know Jeter and Williams and maybe someone else I missed came thru the farms system too).

Don't forget about Mariano.

I hope they keep those younger players, at a minimum Cano and Cabrera.

Yankees Farm System has produced the following:

Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Cabrera
B. Williams
J. Posada
C. Wang
Cano
S. Proctor

Ramiro Mendoza (Currently in the minors. After injury never the same player)
Petitte (lost in free agency)
Andy Philips (Played a good part of the first half but did not hit very well)
Nick Johnson (Traded to the Nationals for J. Vasquez)
Juan Rivera (Traded to the Nationals for J. Vasquez)
Ted Lily (Traded to Oakland in the Jeff Weaver trade)
A Soriano (Traded to Texas for A. Rodriguez)

elgato - here is some info gotten from OFFICIAL BOSOX press notes from both 2004 and 2006.

Please note that in 2004 there were only 2 players on the opening day roster that they signed in the draft (Nixon and Garciaparra).

There were more on the Yankees!

Please note that this year there were a big 3 players on the opening day roster that they signed in the draft (Nixon, Youkilis, and Papelbon).

There were more on the Yankees!

The fact remains that Boston has actually BOUGHT and TRADED for MORE players than the Yankees. Amazing isn't it?

I know when things are tough and it isn't looking good that it is easy to start making ALL KINDS of excuses, but try to make them so that they will at least have SOME credibility.

Frankly, I am NOT defending buying players (Yanks, Sox, or ANYONE) - but that IS the current state of ALL sports. Second, having the highest (or among the highest) payrolls doesn't mean success (see NY Rangers, NY Knicks, NY Mets for many years, BoSox, Dodgers, etc.).

Can't complain about injuries either, I don't see any case for ANY A.L. team having worse injuries than the Yanks this year - they also went until the trade deadline with people from their minor leagues to keep them competitive - they hung tough, and Boston was unable to put them away. Now the tide has turned, and it is NOT looking good for Boston to make even the wild-card.

They made NO upgrades at the trade deadline, they have suffered some late injuries (but remember, the Yanks STILL don't have their injured outfielders back yet), and their always suspect pitching is NOT doing well.

Last edited:
ScoBuck said:
You couldnt be more wrong. That depends on if the management is willing to go out and Buy replacements. Some are and some are not. Boston just isnt willing to go out and get players. Theyve known all season their pitching was weak and did nothing about it. They scored more than enough runs to beat the Yanks or any other team, but you cannot give up that many runs and expect to win. Injuries are one of the most important factors in professional sports.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
That depends on if the management is willing to go out and Buy replacements. Boston just isnt willing to go out and get players. Theyve known all season their pitching was weak and did nothing about it. They scored more than enough runs to beat the Yanks or any other team, but you cannot give up that many runs and expect to win.

Ok - and very true to some point I guess.

But the Yanks didn't buy players when Matsui and Sheff went down this year either - they allowed their 'baby' bombers (Crosby, Cabrerra) and their old vets (Bernie) to keep them in the race. At the trading deadline, they made some trades at very low cost (they didn't BUY any players).

Point is, Boston didn't do ANYTHING to improve a team which as you said correctly has holes in it. Even the Texas Rangers made trades before the deadline. Remember, Boston's entire lineup (minus 3) are ALL players from OUTSIDE the organization, so its NOT like they aren't actively making trades themselves.

Sean Mota said:
Remember the Arroyo trade which has come back to hunt them very bad as well.

Not keeping Pedro, Lowe, Damon, etc. has also hurt no doubt.

But the biggest thing is that no one can take back what they did in 2004 - but like someone winning the lottery, they had lightening strike. They were one inning away from elimination from the Yanks - and then they went on to win 8 straight.

Theo was ruled a 'genius' for their '2' week run of 2004 (and yes it was a GREAT run - against the odds), but the bottom line is that before that - and since that they have won NOTHING - and Theo has NOT looked very good the past 2 years - the moves made since the championship are awful, they have gone BACKWARDS.

ScoBuck said:
Ok - and very true to some point I guess.

But the Yanks didn't buy players when Matsui and Sheff went down this year either - they allowed their 'baby' bombers (Crosby, Cabrerra) and their old vets (Bernie) to keep them in the race. At the trading deadline, they made some trades at very low cost (they didn't BUY any players).

Point is, Boston didn't do ANYTHING to improve a team which as you said correctly has holes in it. Even the Texas Rangers made trades before the deadline. Remember, Boston's entire lineup (minus 3) are ALL players from OUTSIDE the organization, so its NOT like they aren't actively making trades themselves.

??? yank$ dont buy players?? please explain. TY

The buying players statement is kind of "ridiculous" these days IMO. Please give a team who is playing .500 ball and have a 25 roster of homegrown players. I think the winning formula is to have a core of grownhome players and add the missing parts to riddle. Then you need to have a good manager with coaches that will get the job done. There is no baseball team who will win the World Series with a payroll of 25-40 million dollars these days. Every competitive team needs to have at minimum 40Million dollars allocated on payroll just to be competitive. Don't blame the teams only but also blame free agency. Free agency allows for the biggest bidder to get the best players. That is how the system works. The fact that some markets make a whole lot of more $$$ than other markets plays into it as well but remember that the luxury tax is supposed to upset this but some small club owners decide that the money is best spent in their pockets and not on their team. Give credit to the Yankees (Steinbreiner), they make money but they spent a whole lot trying to put a winning team on the field. I'd bet that any baseball city will love to have a guy like Steinbreiner who puts the money back into the team just because he has the desire to win.

Sean Mota said:
Yankees Farm System has produced the following:

Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Cabrera
B. Williams
J. Posada
C. Wang
Cano
S. Proctor

Ramiro Mendoza (Currently in the minors. After injury never the same player)
Petitte (lost in free agency)
Andy Philips (Played a good part of the first half but did not hit very well)
Nick Johnson (Traded to the Nationals for J. Vasquez)
Juan Rivera (Traded to the Nationals for J. Vasquez)
Ted Lily (Traded to Oakland in the Jeff Weaver trade)
A Soriano (Traded to Texas for A. Rodriguez)
Lilly came from Montreal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts