Yet another Blow for NYY

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
all NYY fans thought CC had the Cy Young award in the bag.. WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG LOL

Cy Young goes to a 13-12 winner from Seattle Mariners = Priceless

Last edited:
I found the choice remarkable, but we had analyzed his stats here, and he did have one hell of a season. Too bad Dice K didn't go 18-3 with over five walks per nine innings pitched this year like he did a couple of years ago, because it would have been funny to see a guy with a record of 13-12 beat out a guy with a record of 18-3.

I doubt that Yankee fans agonize much over post season awards, but they are going to get a bigger post season prize when they sign Cliff Lee.

Too many people put the CY Young based on Wins. Put King Felix in NYY Uniform and see what he would have done. Felix stats were amazing. Not sure of the exact stat but he gave up most of his runs over about 20% of his innings or less. Other than Wins Neither Price or CC have anything on him. Look at Run support or even look at the full run difference between CC and Felix. Some would say whats in a run. Well for a Felix it could have put him near 18 wins.

In the end He go what he deserved he was a dominant pitcher that earned it on a bad bad bad team.

I still don't think Felix should have won. What if one of his wins was a loss and he had an under .500 record? Would he still get it?

I still don't think Felix should have won. What if one of his wins was a loss and he had an under .500 record? Would he still get it?

But I think EVERYTHING has to be taken into consideration. IF I am not mistaken, Seattle was ranked DEAD last in runs scored(I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) AND hitting as a team. It's a miracle he won 13 games and was over .500! He was winning INSPITE of his team. IF he had been on a team like Tampa or the Yankees or Phlly, he might have won 25+ games.

In Felix's 12 losses, his teammates "supported" him with a total of 14 runs.

Not even Cy Young himself could win with that! WOW! Like I said, he won INSPITE of his steam.....! Amazing stat Cosmo!:up

Imagine, if his team were to support him with 20 total runs in his loses(which is still disgustingly low)....he might have won 4 or 5 more games.....!!

In Felix's 12 losses, his teammates "supported" him with a total of 14 runs.

Not even Cy Young himself could win with that! WOW! Like I said, he won INSPITE of his steam.....!

Sandy Koufax could. There was a two year stretch in which his record in games when his teammates scored two or fewer runs was 18-4. In other words, he won 18 games by scores of 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1

Sandy Koufax could. There was a two year stretch in which his record in games when his teammates scored two or fewer runs was 18-4. In other words, he won 18 games by scores of 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1

Those days are done. Felix will be as close as you are gonna get. The stragety for how you handle pitchers are wwaayy different. The those days, 10-15 complete games were almost the norm. Theses days, 7 complete games is a cause for celebration.

From my Vibrant using Tapatalk.....

Yes, I don't know how many games I've seen a pitcher be DOMINATING thru 8 innings and they take him out in the ninth .... and the pen blows it.

I still think that teams should go back to the 4 man rotation and go from there.

all NYY fans thought CC had the Cy Young award in the bag.. WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG LOL

Cy Young goes to a 13-12 winner from Seattle Mariners = Priceless

Oh ya, I am really losing sleep over it. Post Season Awards means nothing to us, only championships. Something the Dodgers haven't seen in over 20 years. The biggest off season acquisition the Yanks could make this off season, is finding a place for Joe Torre to come back into the fold where he belongs.

One very important point you Yankee haters are conveniently overlooking is that Hernandez didn't pitch in any pressure games. I'm not saying Sabathia should have won, but simply having great stats, and Hernandez did, shouldn't be what determines the Cy Young winner.

One very important point you Yankee haters are conveniently overlooking is that Hernandez didn't pitch in any pressure games. I'm not saying Sabathia should have won, but simply having great stats, and Hernandez did, shouldn't be what determines the Cy Young winner.
Can't fault Felix for the fact that his offense sucked.

Plus, David Price seemed to agree with the balloting:

"I feel like they got it right," Price said on a conference call from Nashville, Tenn. "Felix, I thought he deserved it, even though he didn't have a lot of wins. You can't really control all that. You can't control the offense, and the hitters and stuff like that."

"The numbers he put up – those were pretty ridiculous numbers outside of the won-loss column," he said. "I feel as if Felix was on a different team – if he was on the Yankees or something like that – he's going to win quite a few ballgames."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/18/felix-hernandez-al-cy-young_n_785525.html

Last edited:
Can't fault Felix for the fact that his offense sucked.

Plus, David Price seemed to agree with the balloting:

Felix Hernandez Wins AL Cy Young Award With 13-12 Record

I don't fault Hernandez for his offense, he can't do anything about that, but the fact he didn't have to pitch in pressure games should count for something.
Like I said, I'm not saying Sabathia should have won, but maybe Price should have. Hernandez may well have won more games with more offense, but he
just as well might have lost more games, too, if he couldn't handle late season games that actually meant something.

I don't fault Hernandez for his offense, he can't do anything about that, but the fact he didn't have to pitch in pressure games should count for something.
Like I said, I'm not saying Sabathia should have won, but maybe Price should have. Hernandez may well have won more games with more offense, but he
just as well might have lost more games, too, if he couldn't handle late season games that actually meant something.
I agree with that line of thinking for MVP consideration; I never could figure out how a player could be MV for a team not in playoff contention. So what, they would have been worse without him??

But, everything I've seen about Cy Young criteria is to be the best pitcher in baseball (and the way to determine that is obviously an argument too) so it's hard to fault King Felix for his team to not give him the opportunity to pitch in those big games when he's done just about all he can...

I agree with that line of thinking for MVP consideration; I never could figure out how a player could be MV for a team not in playoff contention. So what, they would have been worse without him??

But, everything I've seen about Cy Young criteria is to be the best pitcher in baseball (and the way to determine that is obviously an argument too) so it's hard to fault King Felix for his team to not give him the opportunity to pitch in those big games when he's done just about all he can...

Absolutely true!

raoul5788 said:
Absolutely true!

Oh and most of NYY fans also thought Cano had the MVP.. lol
So no WS, No CyY and No MVP for the man in stripes in 2010 :'(

He was their stop....so EVERY game was a pressure game when you are the best pitcher/stopper on your team. Since he was their best pitcher, he had pressure on him all the time because he was EXPECTED to win.

Oh and most of NYY fans also thought Cano had the MVP.. lol
So no WS, No CyY and No MVP for the man in stripes in 2010 :'(

The top three all had exceptional numbers. I'm a Yankee fan and have no problem with Hamilton winning.
Is your glee simply sour grapes, like so many Yankee haters? Who is your baseball team? Let me take a few shots at them. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts