Your thoughts on our Podcast

Thanks for the response, didn't know that D* didn't want CE mentioned. On the HR20 what info you have doesn't sync up with Earl's who said HR20-700's are no longer being made but HR20-100's are. There might be some truth to that since there was a post in a thread over there where someone was trying to get a HR20 and their installers said they were out last week but just got two skids of them in this week.

I don't have the ins Earl does with DirecTV (but I am looking to change that) ;) but that is what DirecTV told me when I asked about it as a few SatelliteGuys members were upset because their HR20's had issues and were replaced with HR21's.

In addition a number of retailers have told me that they can no longer get HR20's and in fact 2 folks told me that they were asked to return all in stock HR20's back to DirecTV.

I guess I was lucky to get my HR 20's when I did. What ultimately lead to the decision to cut out OTA on the HR 21's. I wonder what they were thinking.

$$$$$'s, what else.

According to the 'folks in the know' over at DBS, D* feels that a large enough user base doesn't need or want OTA capability in the HD DVR so why spend the $100+ per box to have that functionality in it. Both this site and DBS say that D*'s working on an external 'something' to add OTA to the HR21 and DBS says the HR20-100 is still being manufactured, just in short supply, and the HR20-700 has been discontinued.

Guess you can see thier point, if they're talking a million STB's as an example, that's $100,000,000 in savings so something that people don't want/need. IMHO they just blew it by not having a procedure in place for ordering new boxes saying a HR20 was a requirement for people that do need one, like where HD LIL is not offered of D*'s missing 1 or more of the big four networks.

If they would have had the add on tuner for the HR21 when the HR21 was released I would not have seen a problem. But unforunately that is not what happened here.

I find the podcasts informative. They give me an insight into the world of satellite in the USA. It's a good thing to see what goes on over there accross the pond as well what happens here in the UK. Keep up the good work guys...

Geoff B

Goliebob-

Still a big fan of the Satelliteguys Podcasts. The quality has improved with each and every one. I look forward to your banter with Scott each week on the current state of the industry.

I do have a suggestion on the naming of the podcasts-
Currently there appears no standard. One time the word "podcast" is first and another it isn't. I like your numbering system as the date but I would prefer you name the podcast something that advertises your name and make it first. Like Satelliteguys121207.* Then use that standard each time.

The problem with calling it "podcast" is that it is too common and may get lost in a folder of other podcasts I auto download. Presently the golliebob podcasts are ending up scattered about so I can't see them in one place. I go hunting for them and then have to rename them to denote where they are from. The second reason is one that may not be true but when Leo Laporte first started his TWIT "podcast" he got this nastygram from Apple legal claiming he had no right to the word podcast as Apple owned it. But others have used it and Apple apparently backed off. Regardless, I prefer a more descriptive name that advertises the origin.

Don,

Thank You. You have it down right! I will immedatly start chaging the name from podcasts to satelliteguys(showdate). That aspect was never thought out as I have mine automatically put in a satelliteguys folder through I tunes. It makes sence and there is no reason why I cant do it :) Thanks for the heads up, as it sounds like apple shot themselfs in the foot. The TWIT podcast is one of the most popluar on the net today. I dont know why apple decided to try and kill off the very content that keeps them alive. :)

why not add the option of using yahoo mesenger with voice in adition to the 800 number you could create a yahoo account Example: Satguyspodcast

also you could have a segment were people send emails with ?'s and you anwer them in the podcast

Ps.. i linked you on my website

We allready have something like that. If anyone wants to email us they can do so at Podcast@satelliteguys.us. Also we use skype for podcast as well as the vonage number. :)

Hi

Can you mention the sponsors on the podcast? It would be great to get that exposure as well. Listeners might be interested in knowing where to buy the products mentioned in the podcast.

Just listened to the podcast for the first time. I really enjoyed it, found it informative and entertaining. Just one request - please consider using a compressor or limiter or something of that nature. Your audio levels are all over the place, and you really don't need to pass through any frequency over about 15k for a program of this kind. I don't know if it was my equipment or not, but it sounded like some of the high frequencies were so loud they were clipping, making a popping sound.

Just listened to the podcast for the first time. I really enjoyed it, found it informative and entertaining. Just one request - please consider using a compressor or limiter or something of that nature. Your audio levels are all over the place, and you really don't need to pass through any frequency over about 15k for a program of this kind. I don't know if it was my equipment or not, but it sounded like some of the high frequencies were so loud they were clipping, making a popping sound.

Unfortunaly the way that the podcast is created, there is no way to use a compressor or limitor. We are aware of the issue and working on it :)

I was on the road last week and tried to listen to the podcast from my cellphone, but found that I could not. If you had a direct link to the podcast, in addition to the java listener application, I could probably run it directly on my cellphone.

I know that I could have downloaded it ahead of time and put it on the microSD card (which I usually do). This week I was in a bit of a rush to leave and didn't take the time to do it.

I was on the road last week and tried to listen to the podcast from my cellphone, but found that I could not. If you had a direct link to the podcast, in addition to the java listener application, I could probably run it directly on my cellphone.

I know that I could have downloaded it ahead of time and put it on the microSD card (which I usually do). This week I was in a bit of a rush to leave and didn't take the time to do it.

Right above the play button, there is a link. Its hidden as the link is the name of the podcast. For last weeks podcast it would be 051908satguys.mp3 You can right click over that link and select copy short cut. That will give you the direct download link. When you paste it in your browser or text file it should look like this.
From there you should be able to download it.

Also if you click on that link I think you can directly download it using the save as feature. Let me know if this works for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)