Zero TV

I love the 4 year old picture of a guy wasting an analog TV. I'm sure there could be something more recent. I wonder if the trend will continue or if the prices of pay-tv will finally hit a ceiling.

One of my best friends from work only has one TV (I know, more than zero). That said, she uses it exclusively with Netflix and has MLB.tv to watch the condensed Cubs games. She recently had me come in and hook up a Mohu Leaf. It only pulled in around 13 channels but she's happy and would rather not spend so much on TV.

The tipping point has started,as broadband becomes more available,the trend of zero tv'rs will exponentially grow.

It is tempting to just go Netflix and Amazon VOD for cheap cable. There are so many series available now that you could watch forever and never catch up. You would just be a year behind broadcast.

It is tempting to just go Netflix and Amazon VOD for cheap cable. There are so many series available now that you could watch forever and never catch up. You would just be a year behind broadcast.

Yep,commercial free,can watch consecutively,best way to watch series imo.

Good article. IMO, Cable and SAT paid Tv has already reached its peck and is now in decline. There are too many options in OTA, Online (and FTA for the tech savy ones) to justify paying huge monthly bills.

Cheers, K

One starts to wonder about the traditional cable model for basic channels that are ad supported anyway. Networks like RTV, Antenna and Me have taken over from the old TVLand domain. I suspect that soon one of the cable networks like Discovery or Viacom will decide to test the waters with a broadcast subchannel network feed of something like FOOD, HGTV or TLC. Those are networks that have low subscriber rates and rely on high penetration for increased commercial rates.

merged threads together

thanks

i am looking for just high speed internet, moving my one remaining land line phone line to oooma, and ditching cable tv altogether. i have a yagi roof top antenna and tivo.

with the school business tanked saving money is very important

my GF still doesnt have a job her old employeer just shed another 30 workers in one day

Still service. My setup is close to Bob's, but we supplement with Netflix and Amazon IS. Also the free stuff on Roku. Never have any trouble finding stuff to watch, but our viewership has also gone down considerably. We don't have that mentality of having to catch the next episode of toddler navel lint hoarders.

We've recently turned off Dish. We have a Tivo DVR for OTA networks and Netflix & the FTA system. IF this whole Fox/Aereo thing turns into something, i.e. the broadcast nets charging a fee, I'll cut them off too! (although I don't see that happening)

We are down to 1 TV and only my wife watches it. OTA and FTA and what you get free on the net. No more TV bills here. My kids and I do computer screens and ipods.

If I could find HGTV at netflix, Hulu, amazon or whatever, I'd probably bail on satellite. But I can only get 12Mb DSL here at anything close to reasonable rates. Time Warner will gladly give me cable internet, but the price for the really good speed is kinda stupid. So I'd be upping my internet speed (and bill) and losing what little TV I still watch. The wife is addicted to several cop shows, Dancing with the Stars, and we both like The Voice, but I can get all of those OTA. On the weekend we sit and have coffee, read the paper, and watch HGTV and talk about stuff we can do to the house and yard. We'd have to find something else to do! heheheh. Oh and I'd miss the Sabres games. Not much to see this year, but still..... I suppose I coupld pick them up off some pirate live feed somewhere like my son does.

BUT... increasing my internet costs and paying for amazon/hulu/netflix etc.... I don't think I'd be saving much.

Now ZERO TV? Don't think I'm on board for that one. I like the local news and weather. :) CHEAPER tv I could really learn to like. Just can't convince SWMBO

If I could find HGTV at netflix, Hulu, amazon or whatever, I'd probably bail on satellite. ... On the weekend we sit and have coffee, read the paper, and watch HGTV and talk about stuff we can do to the house and yard. We'd have to find something else to do!

My PBS stations have subchannels that on the weekend are devoted to home improvement. I have no problem finding these sorts of shows on a Sunday morning. The ones I miss are the ones where they are trying to find a condo in Cozumel for $1.50

Honestly if I had to pay for my satellite service I'd probably still have my Tivo. I went through all my series timers and other than rasslin the only cable channels I have series on are A&E, TruTV and History and with the faster internet I have here (12MB...only had 1.5 at the house) they are all able to be streamed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)