$100 for an HDMI cable?

Tom Bombadil said:
I don't even know if the speakers in my HDTV work, I've never connected them, even for a test.

We use the Samsung DLP's built in speakers for 99% of the TV programs - and it does a good job so the HDMI to HDMI setup would be fine for me.

We have a JVC Dolbie 5.1 receiver and Bose speakers that we use for DVD's and some special TV programs. This is a great set up, but not needed for most programs.

Tom Bombadil said:
That smiley may mean you are being sarcastic, but just in case anyone out there is doing this, I'll go around and throw in my 2 cents on this practice...
Actually I'm not.
But my speakers arn't exactly Bose', so no difference is noticed. The top of the tv isn't flat, so was just simpler to use the TV as Center instead of mounting the center speaker on the wall.
If I had gotten high end speakers, then yes, I would have used that.

Actually, Bose would be one of the brands where I think you could use your TV speakers as the center channel. Bose tends to use very inexpensive drivers in their speakers, drivers which cost close to what a TV manufacturer might include. The speaker drivers used in a Bose cube enclosure only cost Bose about $3-$5 each. This isn't speculative information, I know a person who works with Bose to liquidate overstocked speaker drivers and sets the pricing for resale.

another convert to monoprice.com after placing 2 orders with them i couldn't be more pleased with price or quality or speed of delivery.

I used to work at CompUSA, they had a certain SCSI cable for sale for $85 and their cost was $2.50. More common cables that sold for around $30 cost the store around $1. They used to offer employees everything at cost so I stocked up :)

I've used CablesToGo in the past, but compared to the prices being tossed about by the Monoprice customers, I'll give them a go next time I buy cables. I'm looking for a 5m HDMI-DVI cable which may turn into a HDMI-HDMI if my Mits croaks...

I am going to need to run about 75 feet of component cable. I want to hook up a VIP622 to 2 tvs. One in my living room and one in my bedroom. Is the length doing to result in any loss in picture quality?

WileyKyle said:
I am going to need to run about 75 feet of component cable. I want to hook up a VIP622 to 2 tvs. One in my living room and one in my bedroom. Is the length doing to result in any loss in picture quality?

Component can run a long distance. I have a run of about 90 feet without issue in my house. I ran 5 RG6 cables.

WileyKyle said:
Yeah - What Mike said. The issue is more likely to be one of interference vs. adequate signal delivery. Keep the cables well away from such sources, not parallel to other cables especially power lines, etc. RG-6 is a good idea, you might even want to use the quad shield version if you can get the RCA plugs on them correctly (not sure - never tried that)...

FWIW - Dishstore just sold me a 6' HDMI x 2 cable for $10. Not sure of the brand or quality but I will report back once I have it installed. (I ordered it with the 622, but I didn't ask for a "throw-in" or any kind of special price for the cable, so I have to believe that's their every day price for it...)

WileyKyle said:

I'm running 75 Ft. Python Component-Video-Audio Cable from my 942 in the bedroom to My Projector in my theater. Works great!

part # 254-675IV ($69)

http://www.pacificcable.com/VideoAndAudio.htm#Python_Component_Cables

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)