1000.2 Cable Routing Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GTAE86

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
How should the cables be set up for a 1000.2 with a wing dish?

I had a SuperDish 500 to get 110 and 119, and a wing dish to get 129. All was well, but 110 went out, and it turned out the DP34 was bad. I scheduled a service. Two days before the appointment, a thunderstorm caused a *big* tree to fall next to my Dish 1000 wing that was pulling in 129. Of course, the tree bounced off the dish :(

I cleared the tree and re-plumbed the pole, and asked the installer to peak it for me. No go - he said he did not want to be responsible for signal problems I might have later because it was "close". He doubted I was even getting 129 at that location! I assured him I was before the tree fell :)

Well, he decided to upgrade me to a 1000.2 instead of replace the DP34. OK - I asked him how to get my wing dish in after I do a repoint? He said just run it to the "IN" input on the 1000.2 head.

I got the cable cleared yesterday, and ran it to the input on the 1000.2. I used my meter and a second LNB to preposition the wing dish. I was getting a good signal on the original LNB, but no signal at the receiver. I switched out the LNB thinking the one that was on the dish at impact might have gotten scrambled.

Great signal from the LNB, and power from the cable coming from the 1000.2, but no signal at the receiver.

Here is the wiring as it stands now:

At 1000.2, wire from output '1', wire from output '2', wire from wing dish into "IN". The two wires go to a box on the house, then to the receiver. One of the wires hangs free at the reciever, the other goes into a splitter, then each branch to a satellite input on receiver.

What could be wrong?

Have you been using the installer's guide? Here's one from Sadoun.com

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_1000.2_Installation_Guide_(_151255)[4].pdf

Page 8 is the install instructions for 4th orbital location.

Your wing Dish must have a Dish Pro Single or Dish Pro Dual lnb - legacy will not work.

I did not know it existed - thanks! I am still a little confused about the wiring. Hopefully the guide will clear it up.

How can I tell a legacy LNB from a Dish Pro Single or Dual? That is, is it clearly marked? I am using an LNB from my SuperDish....

I presume you ran a check switch after connection the wing dish and before looking at the signal on the receiver.

Yes, and it shows 110 and 119 only. However, I see according to the manual there might have to be a software download on some receiver models before 129 will show. I need to try that.

Thanks for the advice!

Hmmmm....

After looking at LNBs at Sadoun, I am pretty sure I have Dish Pro Dual LNBFs. I am pretty sure I recall the Dish Pro symbol is on them.

The outputs are routed directly to the receiver, not a switch, which sounds correct. I still am not quite sure about the setup: There is one output, running to the receiver, and it is split there to go to SAT1 and SAT2. The installer was originally not going to do that, and I asked him, so he called base for help....

So, it looks like I need to force a software download (I thought that happened periodically anyway), or I could have a receiver model that will not support the 129 W location...bad.

Why would it not be for real, gregskin? :)

Jim - I have a 625.

I unplugged the unit for a couple of hours, then plugged it back in. I assume it did a download. Ran a check switch, but still no go.

I called technical support, and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with them checking things and running check switch - no luck.

I have an installer coming out next week - I requested a FSM so the "closeness" of the 129 LOS will hopefully not be an issue.

Basically, I could get up to a 46 signal on 129, and happily watched locals (except during thunder storms). Then two things happened - DP34 went bad so installer put in 1000.2, and a tree smacked my wing dish. Neither of those events would affect my LOS, so I should still be able to get 129 if everything is hooked up and working correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)