1000.2 LNBF burning signal out meters?

instech

Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
mt
Anyone heard of the integrated LNBF on the 1000.2 dish kit running too much power and burning out signal meters? I'm a new installer and our co. is having us use a temporary dual LNBF centered on 119 to peak the dish and then taking that off and installing the integrated LNBF to activate the receiver. Obviously this requires more steps and time. If the integrated LNBF is running too much power for the some signal meters, does anyone know of a sat. identifying, self powered, signal meter that can handle that much power? Does anyone know how much power it's running and how much power the signal meters are capable of?

Thanks for any replies.

Sounds more like one of those "Urban Legends" than anything related to fact. I don't have a lot of first hand experience installing satellite dishes, but I do know that when a 1000.2 is installed around here it is assembled with the triple LNB and they go from there. No aligning and then swapping LNBs.

I guess you might get too much signal if you got too close to the sun.:eek:

How do you attach a dual lnb to the yoke of a 1000.2 dish. There is excessive current consumption with the 1000.2 lnb. It is recommended that power from a receiver is hooked up to the lnb when aligning it

How do you attach a dual lnb to the yoke of a 1000.2 dish. There is excessive current consumption with the 1000.2 lnb. It is recommended that power from a receiver is hooked up to the lnb when aligning it

you use a w bracket.

What you need is a Super Buddy meter. It will power the triple and test all three with one connection. DNS supplies them to the techs. They are not cheap, however, if you have to buy one.

no, not possible. there is no lnbf that has an internal power supply.. let alone draws SO MUCH POWER that it will burn out a meter. sounds like your company is trying to explain why they use old meters and why the keep breaking.

I wonder what kind of meter the op is using?

To me, aiming with a dual is the most accurate way to get readings with a regular meter. Keep up the practice if it's required. The dual aiming technique goes back to Indian days. Never heard them complain about signal problems! As far as burning out a meter, just make sure you don't turn on your meter when house current is attached. If using a meter to peak on install,of course, you won't have this problem. It is best to lock onto good signal on all applicable sat's. before running cable to the dish-especially when you're new. Learn to read and trust your inclinometer-it will save you hours of frustration on N.L.O.S

This is not a problem of burning out the meter. The problem is that the signal coming from the LNB is so hot that it is above the range of your meter. In other words with the meter gain set all the way down, it is still seeing too much signal. This makes it impossible to find an accurate peak when pointing the dish. Using an older LNB can work, but a better solution is to put a 10db or 20db power passing satellite pad on the feed from the LNB to your meter. This knocks the signal down enough so that you can find the peak with your meter.

You run into this exact same problem with the Directv Slimline LNBs. The 10db pad does the trick, and alows you to pont the dish for great peak signals with a cheapo meter.

Anyone heard of the integrated LNBF on the 1000.2 dish kit running too much power and burning out signal meters? I'm a new installer and our co. is having us use a temporary dual LNBF centered on 119 to peak the dish and then taking that off and installing the integrated LNBF to activate the receiver. Obviously this requires more steps and time. If the integrated LNBF is running too much power for the some signal meters, does anyone know of a sat. identifying, self powered, signal meter that can handle that much power? Does anyone know how much power it's running and how much power the signal meters are capable of?

Thanks for any replies.

Yes, dish pro plus LNBs (all of them) will take their toll on the Channel Master dual analog meter if not used correctly. I had to take mine in for repair to learn this...
If you:
A. use power from the receiver whenever possible
B. keep your meter well charged
C. use dish pro to align when possible
then you will be fine with that meter and point faster and more accurately than with other meters I've tried like the Super Buddy, Bird Dog and Accutrac.

Here's some more about meters:
Signal Meters - Analog vs. Digital

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)