100ft cable from dish to home?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

toiletduck

Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
what kind of cable is this and are they standard so i can just pick one up somewhere?

Dish installer said i needed one to get around some trees and they charge $100 for 100ft which seemed kind of expensive.

oh and im going to have a dvr box and the 250 channel package

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I'd assume about any RG6 coax (sweep tested to at least 2 GHz of course!!) would be OK for your application. From what I've read the cable lenghth limit for Legacy equipment is 150' (may be 125'), and 200' for DP & DPP equipment.

100' isn't much, but even if you did have problems I'm sure an inline satellite amp would fix a low signal problem.

Did the $100 for the cable also include burying it? It's really not too difficult, but for the cable, the time to buy the cable, the time to bury the cable... their price seems reasonable.

If you decide to do it yourself remember to get black cable, not white, as the white cable will flake within 2 years and fail within 3-8 years in my experience. The black stuff is UV resistant.

FWIW

cool thanks for the replies. =)

ya the cable will be buried, ill probably just do it myself.

Also will there be more than one cable run between the dish and my home?

one more thing, i just called for a reschedule and its going to be over a week before they can come.

Will they let me install this myself? I positive i could do it and if i ran into any problems i have a friend whos dad used to work for echostar designing stuff.

If you decide to do it yourself remember to get black cable, not white, as the white cable will flake within 2 years and fail within 3-8 years in my experience. The black stuff is UV resistant.

FWIW

That would have been true, if the cable was made 10 or more years ago. Any color cable from a quality manufacturer is made with UV inhibitors that allows for a long life in the sun.

If I were this customer, I'd buy 100 feet of black 100PSI rated coiled polyethylene pipe from Lowes. A 3/4" coil will cost no more that $16 plus tax. A 1 inch coil would be about $21.

As one who as installed hundreds of miles of telecommunications cables underground over the years, I no longer recommend grey glue jointed rigid PVC for low voltage. HDPE is better, since it is entirely smooth and soil acid resistant. Almost all telecommunications companies now use it. Belden recommends it for extra protection of direct burial cables.

3/4" will hold up to four rg6 cables, but 1 inch is preferable.

I'd place the cable 6-12 inches underground, and let the installer pull the cable, which he is suppose to include as part of the FREE HSP install. He might complain or say that he does not have a 100ft fish tape. A string and a rubber ball and a shop vac works just fine. Pull the cables with the string, after it's through.

Seal the ends with Gardner Bender Duct Seal ($2 for a one pound brick at Lowes or Home Depot).

Last edited:
That would have been true, if the cable was made 10 or more years ago. Any color cable from a quality manufacturer is made with UV inhibitors that allows for a long life in the sun.

I had some perfect vision cable left over & used it for the dish in my new house a couple of years ago. There's already visible degredation. PV cable may not be the quality cable you're referring to but in any case I can't see any reason to recommend anything but black cable for installations that will be exposed to the sun. Clear/translucent cable ties will rot within a couple of years too so use black.

FWIW