105 FSS Locals Problem?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have noticed every so often on the local channels (the main ones use transponder 4 in my area) that it will go out all of a sudden and a box pops up indicating the signal has been lost just for a moment then goes away and goes back to the show again. There is no pixellation when this happens.

I replaced all my wires, the DP-34 switch, and get a good signal of around 80% and the problem still happens. I have noticed that it does it on two receivers at the same time (each on a different local channel on the same transponder). I then knew that it was not my receivers at that point.

I also have a PrimeStar dish pointed at 105. I hooked it up to one of the receivers, done the check switch, then checked to see if I had any issues that way. I noticed that the receiver connected to the PrimeStar dish did the same thing at the same time as a receiver I had connected to the SuperDish. That rules out my wiring and dishes to be the issue.

Someone told me that he was also noticing the same thing so I told him to write down the time that it happened and I would do the same. We both viewed the same channel at the same time and that box indicating that the signal went out came up on both of our receivers at the same time. He lives just up the road from me.

Has anybody else noticed anything such as this? I was hoping I could find some people on here that could write down the time and local channel they are watching when this happens to see if this is something that may be happening in just one small area or all over the DMA. I am in the Charleston, WV DMA.

Make sure that you do not have a radar detector on around your dish. It emitts a KA band signal and will interfer with the signal from the 105 sat or the 121 sat. I learned this installing my superdish at my office. It took me two days to figure it out. Radar detector plugged in signal pops in and out. Receiver comes up looking for sat.

Big Ed

Me and the other person having the same issues live about half a mile to a mile apart, and beyond that person's house I have noticed for a while that the radar detector will go off everytime steadily for a while in the ka band range. When this does happen though there are no radar detectors to my knowledge around the dish. I have even moved my dish to another location higher up with the same result.

Hey Stargazer. I was just upgaded on Monday to a Superdish and added local channels. I have the exact same problem as you are having. Have you called Dish yet to see what they say about it? I was going to when I had a free minute (or 60) at home.

Do you live near an airport? I have known people who do and large commercial jets taking off and landing will get in there line of site with there satellite and cause similar problems. One note, the 105 satellite that Dish uses is a very old sick byrd which requires a lot of attention. A signal of 80 is not bad. I live in Cola. S.C. and my superdish overlooks a lake with no obstructions at all and the best I can obtain from transponder 5 is a 72.

ByrdWatcher said:
Do you live near an airport? I have known people who do and large commercial jets taking off and landing will get in there line of site with there satellite and cause similar problems. One note, the 105 satellite that Dish uses is a very old sick byrd which requires a lot of attention. A signal of 80 is not bad. I live in Cola. S.C. and my superdish overlooks a lake with no obstructions at all and the best I can obtain from transponder 5 is a 72.

I do live near an airport, but what concerns me more is my 105 signal is only 63. I actually saw this when the guy was here installing it and asked him if that was a little low and he said for 105 it wasn't :confused: Oh well....

105 is a low powered bird... getting 80 is pretty good. The low power is why you need sich a large dish.

I also have the Charleston-Huntington locals.I don't live near an airport and they go out on both recievers at my house and everybody else who has Superdish that I know several times a day for a second or two.So I'd say it's something with Dish.I waited so long for locals I can live with it but it's annoying.

I do not live near an airport. I called Dish Network and they said that it could have just been a coincidence. Paleeze! What an excuse. They also said that there was nothing noted about a problem but they would note this issue and told me to have more phone in about the problem so that they could note it for them as well. It is not bad enough to be of very great concern but I have enough concern at times when it wants to go out more often than other times, it is annoying.

I was wanting to conduct some tests to prove that it is them. The way to do this is to note when you watch your local news at 6 pm, 11 pm, etc. when most or all channels show it. The glitch in the signal will happen on any of the channels on transponder 4 where NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, WB (I am not sure if it happens on transponder 7/9 or not where KET, PBS is at). If several people report the same glitch at the same time from different areas of the region then that proves that it is them and nothing to do with a small area where an individual occurance could happen to cause it. Even better, if another DMA has locals on the same transponder or uses the evens at 105 then it may be able to be proven even further. This would need to be done by having a group of people report the glitches on what channel it was, the time, and DMA they live in, to see if it is the same transponder.

I already told a few people to report the glitches they find and have been having some more reports of the glitches when I ask about it.

I hope Dish is reading the boards so that they can get someone on the inside to check out the problem, it could be an early sign of problems with the satellite or something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)