1080p VOD - Can we run the test free before geting charged?

When I got 501 on my first 622 it took two days before "I am Legend" 1080p showed up.

On my second 622 it showed up immediately upon being upgraded. Go figure.

Moot point, my Mitubishi 52631 DLP didn't pass the test.

Hello there!

I have a Vip622 w/ L612, hooked up to a Toshiba 65HM167 1080p DLP HDTV via HDMI. I Am Legend was listed on Ch501 as a 1080p VOD selection, so I selected to rent the program.

After the usual phone line check, it prompted me to select RENT after a couple of black screens, so I did...and the program started. (It will not charge you until after the tests run to see if 1080p is supported...although it did not come right out and state that your tv is supported.) My TV has an INFO button to check the current input resolution and it stated 1080p.

Now, when I checked the 622's Diagnostic feature and chose to run an Analysis on the HDMI...it said the resolution was 1250i/50hz:confused:. Also, it said that the supported resolutions up to 1080i. Huh? ( I also have that mini-me picture bug too) There were also a couple of hiccups, like A/V droputs every so often. I sent an email to Tech Support about these issues.

BTW,I have an Onkyo 606 w/ 1080p passthru but I did not hook it up to check the sound.

So, it looks like this TV will support 1080p VOD from the 622...I should note that the L612 download was on 8/14, and the IAL 1080p VOD was available a few days later. I must say that the picture quality was pretty good...better than premium channel, IMHO. I did an A/B comparison with the BluRay too...and aside from the VOD AOR being 16x9 it was not too bad.

Last edited:
When I do the test the screen says my tv resolution is not compatible with this event. Why and is anyone else with a 1080p tv having the same problem? I am connected via hdmi and have a westinghouse lcd 42 inch tv that is a 1080p output tv.

pabisc, I, too, have a 42" Westinghouse. The manual says that only the DVI connections support 1080p. Dish sent me a HDMI to DVI cable but the HDMI port on my 622 died before the cable arrived, so I can't tell you for sure if it would work.

My IAL download took 2 days. My display (Mitsubishi 57732) failed the test both through my receiver (HK AVR-247) and directly connected via HDMI. My Blu-Ray and HD DVD players send 1080p24 to this display all the time.

Toshiba Response

This is Toshiba's response on Dish Networks 1080P/24fps. (My TV is only 2 years old, top of the line 1080P)

Yes, the TV will deinterlace all incoming interlaced signals. This would not be necessary when the TV is receiving a 480p or 720p signal. Just to be sure we are clear on this, the deinterlacing process does not have any effect at all on the resolution when receiving a 1080i signal. Deinterlacing and upconversion are completely different processes.

If the TV receives a 480i signal for example, the TV will upconvert the 480 line signal to 1080 lines and will also deinterlace to progressive. If the TV receives a 1080i signal it will do nothing to the resolution as it is already 1080 lines. The TV will simply deinterlace to progressive. This is a process in which the order the information is displayed on the screen.

An interlaced signal being displayed in interlaced fashion will raster the odd lines first 1- 1079, then come back to raster the even lines 2- 1080. At this rate the TV will display 30 images per second. A progressive display will raster the lines in order from 1- 1080. At this rate the TV will display 60 images per second.

On the matter of 1080p/24fps, this is a different signal than a 1080p/60hz signal. At the time this TV was made 1080p/24fps did not even exist in a consumer media format. Even a TV that can accept an incoming 1080p signal does not indicate that is can accept a 1080p/24fps signal. Furthermore, there are very few TVs on the market today that will even display the image at 1080p/24fps even if the TV will accept a 1080p/24fps signal. Most TVs that will accept a 1080p/24fps signal would still display the image as 1080p/60hz.

On the matter of 1080p/24fps, this is a different signal than a 1080p/60hz signal. At the time this TV was made 1080p/24fps did not even exist in a consumer media format. Even a TV that can accept an incoming 1080p signal does not indicate that is can accept a 1080p/24fps signal. Furthermore, there are very few TVs on the market today that will even display the image at 1080p/24fps even if the TV will accept a 1080p/24fps signal. Most TVs that will accept a 1080p/24fps signal would still display the image as 1080p/60hz.
I have a Sharp 1080P D92U. I am not certain on this but don't believe it does 24fps (I am checking this out on another forum). As it is failing the 1080P test for "I Am Legend", I am suspecting the 24fps may be the reason why.

Seems to me that two separate tests are being performed. First, if HDMI is connected, an HDCP test happens and a TV compatibility failure message appears if HDCP is not enabled. If the HDCP test passes, then the receiver outputs the rent confirmation message in 1080p24 and waits for a user response. If the TV doesn't display the message, the receiver times out waiting for a user response and changes back to the previous resolution and displays the rent at lower resolution confirmation message.

So, if I understand this thread so far, the 1080P signal Dish is presenting is NOT compatible with MOST of the existing 1080P sets in the field. Oh how just peachy keen that is. And for the record I have a 1.5 year old Sharp Aquos LCD that supports 1080P and works with my Blu Ray player but NONE of the 501 channels display the "1080P" icon. So my set is just not good enough for Dish, huh.

Here and other forums. Don't pretend you didn't read all the threads.

No disrespect, but I don't read all the threads on this forum and do not even subscribe nor read threads on any other forums. I just go by what's on the Dish site and occasionally browse this forum. Sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts