118.75 angle question

horseshoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I am in the Pittsburgh market and set up an install of 118.75 for my HD locals. The installer came today and said he couldn't install the dish 1000+ because there was a tree that would block the signal. I have a clear line of side to 110 and 119 now with nothing to block the signal in between. He said that 118 is further to the east than 110 and the tree would block the signal. I pointed out that 118 is right next to 119 so how could the tree be an issue.
The tree is to the east of where 110 is pointed. He said it was because of the skew angle, so the satellite view is east of 110.
Can any one explain to me how a satellite with a 118.75 position would need to see east of 110.

You got a snow job. 118.75 is between 110 and 119. You are correct about 118.75 being close to 119. If you do not currently have a DiSH 1000 there could be some issue with 129, but it is west of 119.

The 118.75 degree SAT sits farther to the SW and LOWER on the horizon. So here in good old NW/SW PA its harder to hit it line of sight. I had the same problem in Oil City. That's why we moved the dish 35FT from the house into the front yard to hit the 118.75 SAT. Believe me its not easy out here in the mountains. Can you move your DISH to get a line of sight free from trees?:)

Actually, Oiltrain, I think John hit the nail on the head, I got a snow job.

I confirmed this with a tech from DishNetwork who agreed the installer was off base. I have a new install scheduled for next week with a different installer.

The problem according to the installer was that the tree in my yard was to the SE of 110 and that was where 118 was looking which is bogas.
If I can hit 119, and there are no obstructions between 119 and 110, I should be able to hit 118.75. The elevation is entirely dependent on the position in the sky, since all these satellites are in the Clarke belt.

I agree 119 (and 118.75) is getting low on the horizon and 129 is worse which is why I am keeping 61.5 and not bothering with 129.

I had the same problem when I self installed. I could get 110/119 fine with a dish 1000 but I with the 1000+ I could not get all three (just two at a time 110/119 or 118.75/119). Ended up putting it on the front of my house.

118.75 is really low and weak!

118.75 and 119 are so close together geometrically speaking, with the proper equipment it should be darn near impossible to get only one of the two.

Now ANGRY

Well now that I had already cut down the tree the installer said would block the signal, the tree that is to the east of 110, dish sent another installer to install the dish 1000+ today.
Guess what?
This installer (from the same company as the first one) said I have a tree problem but it not where the first guy said but to the west of my 119 satellite.
This guy kept insisting that I must get 4 satellite locations from the dish 1000+. I told him repeatedly that I don't care about 129 because I have a dish at 61.5. He just kept repeating it must see 4 satellites or he can't do the install.
I never thought I would say this but I am considering Comcast, my wife is already to throw me out after I cut down a tree for all this and now the this guy says "I don't know why the first guy told you that tree was the problem".

I'll be calling Dish when I thing they're awake in Denver later this morning.

I talked to tech support at dish. Didn't get a whole lot of satisfaction but did get my SD locals turned back on.
I wrote a detailed e-mail to Dish, I'll see what happens from that.

Dish No Show No Call

Dish is dropping the ball on all of this!! I had an appointment scheduled for Sat (23rd) 8- 12 pm I called the prior Thursday to confirm. Around 10 am I called to reconfirm the appointment and low and behold I was told the appointment was rescheduled due to lack of equipment! NO call to me to tell me after 20 min with a wonderful CSR who agreed that it was unacceptable and then to a supervisor. I now have my install free and an additional 50.00 credit. I can understand lack of equipment or even being overbooked but there is no excuse for a no call or no show. Now they are suppose to come on the 31st Wish me luck. PS this install was not from a local retailer this was to be done from the dish hub in Pittsburgh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts