118 signal strength

virgilw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
What kind of signal strength should I be receiving on the 118 sat? I get 90 or above on all of the other sats, but get anywhere from nothing, to 20 to 40-50% on the transponders of 118. I have a dish 1000+.

I'm not familar at all with 118 as I don't have a + dish. But are you having dropouts on your HD locals? If no issues then I guess you're fine, but those numbers sound very low to me.

I'm not familar at all with 118 as I don't have a + dish. But are you having dropouts on your HD locals? If no issues then I guess you're fine, but those numbers sound very low to me.

Yep I was having dropouts. Everything except 118 was excellent in strength. So I went and got my wrench and went to work. Seems my installation guy peaked 110 and 119 but never went back and fine tuned the aim for 118. After 20 minutes of tweaking, I've tripled my 118 (transponder 2) strength. Still not ideal, but no more dropouts.

I did my own install of a 1000+ and had lots of difficulty tweaking it for the 118. I've never been able to get above 60 on the 118, but it seems be very stable. I've never had any dropouts even on the transponder where I was getting a max of 54. I wonder if it is more resistance to dropouts due to the different technologies used???

I did my own install of a 1000+ and had lots of difficulty tweaking it for the 118. I've never been able to get above 60 on the 118, but it seems be very stable. I've never had any dropouts even on the transponder where I was getting a max of 54. I wonder if it is more resistance to dropouts due to the different technologies used???

Interesting.
I am getting 105+ on 119 and 110 but 118 is 60 and 67 on the 2 transponders my HD locals use. I haven't had any bad weather since the install to see if it will be resistant to dropouts, but I also wondered if the tech didn't NEED as high a signal. I did have DISH document my signal strength in case I have problems in the future. If everybody is getting a low signal and lets DISH know, they may turn up the juice. ;)

Like the old SuperDish FSS slots at 105 and 121, you'll never see the numbers as high as the DBS slots unless you have a huge dish. I get around 80-90 on my converted P* dish. Wild guess, 70-80 on the 1000+ is probably about right.

Just installed my 500+ today and I am getting upper 70's to mid 80's on the higher transponders. The lower transponders are still weak with values in the mid-50's.

Fortunately, our locals are on transponders 19 and 22 so as long as they don't get moved, I'll be okay.

I am a dealer and have installed several 1000+ units for the local HD nets. Just over the past few days I have received three calls from customers who are getting drop-outs on their locals. Of course it is on their HD units only. The 311's and 322's are not losing them since they get them off the 110 bird. I have called the DISH techs and my own agent. DISH won't admit that they even have a problem. My rep told me that radar detectors can cause an interferance on the 118. Maybe they are leaving a radar detector turned on in their garage and causing the problem or the neighbor is causing it. I checked one of them out last night and all the sats were getting 110+ except the 118. It was from 9-39%. Error messages, etc.

Losing OTA signals Periodically on all TVs

how to connect 2 sw64 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)