129 Satellite in New York

ncarty97

Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Hopefully, this is a fairly quick question.

I just moved from Dallas, TX to New York City. I tried to put up my dish by myself since the installers Dish was going to provide only would come during work hours (new job, can't relaly take half a day off quite yet).

So, it's working. Sort of.

I have the ViP 622 and a Dish 1000. I am hitting the 110 and 119 satellites fine, but I am missing several of the HD channels I should have been getting (ESPN 2, A&E, Universal, etc) as well as all my local channels.

So, my question is this, the Dish 1000 has a third connector for the 129 satellite, but when I do the Point Dish set up, it doesn't give me any coordinates for it, nor can it find the satellite (Though like I said, I hit 110 and 119 fine, close to 100 signal strength). I have no idea if before I was hitting the 129 satellite as I never bothered with it after the installer set it up. So is the the problem?

I read elsewhere that due to the curviture of the Earth or something, the 129 satellite may not be able to be recieved in parts of the Northeast.

Also, in regards to my lack of local channels, I haven't updated my address with Dish yet, so the guide still is showing the Dallas locals. Since I am not in Dallas anymore, is that why they are not showing up? (Though since I haven't updated anything, how would they know?)

I've seen many of the other setups in our apartment complex have multiple dishes (Facing different diferctions). Do I possible need to get another dish to hit 129 and aim it somewhere else?

Thanks! I'm sure some of these are stupid questions, but I appreciate any responses.

In NYC you should be using 61.5 not 129. If you want HD locals etc from NYC, you cant do that WITHOUT 61.5. With that being said... I have put up a dish 1000 further into the northeast than this location with success. You numbers are too low on 110 and 119 it sounds like. Tr # 1 on 119 for example should go off the chart (solid 125% + almost always with the others being about 110-120% on 119) In order to hit 129 in a location where you shouln't really be getting it, you need to make sure your dish 1000 is tweaked perfectly. I would advise calculating the exact skew for NYC (you can do this with your zip code in the pointing menu), setting it and then putting the single lnb in the middle of the W bracket and aligning for 119 as best you can. IF you hit this, all the rest should fall into place just fine when you replace the twin LNB to where it should go. Expect to get about 60-70% on 129 when you do get it aligned perfectly.

-B

thanks, still having issues

Bountykiller,

Thanks for the advice, I got up there today and started working on it finally.

Tr # 1 on 119 for example should go off the chart (solid 125% + almost always with the others being about 110-120% on 119)

Ok, more dumb questions. I bought a sattelitte finder that has a little needle you can dial down to get the dish pointed 'perfectly. I assume TR #1 means Transponder. on 119, for Transponder 1, the best I was able to get is 111. On 110, TR is at 97, though 20 is at 112.

I would advise calculating the exact skew for NYC (you can do this with your zip code in the pointing menu),

Ok, this is one thing I am a bit confused on. First, the numbers it gave me for my zip code for 119 and 100 don't appear to be correct. At those settings, I get no signal. I looked at the other dishes on the roof and adjusted mine to similar settings, then tweaked it with the meter I bought and I'm good (for 119 and 110). One thing though, when I go to the Point Dish menu, it does not have the Dish 1000 as an option, only 300, 500 and SuperDish. Could this be part of the problem?

setting it and then putting the single lnb in the middle of the W bracket and aligning for 119 as best you can.

Ok, all three of my lnb's are signel. The W bracket (I assume this is the thing on the front of the Dish that these connect into) has it listed as 129, 119, 110, but the markings are on the bracket themselves.

IF you hit this, all the rest should fall into place just fine when you replace the twin LNB to where it should go. Expect to get about 60-70% on 129 when you do get it aligned perfectly.[/quote[

So since mine doesn't have the twin lnb, just three singles, what else should I do?

One last question, I don't really care about paying for someone to come align this thing, but I'd REALLY like to keep my Dallas channels. If I call an installer, will they come (in general) and get it set up for me no questions asked? Or are they going to make me call Dish and get changed to NYC local channels?

Thanks again. Appreciate the help.

You can not get the Dallas locals in New York, because they are on a spotbeam that can only be seen in the Texas area. If you want locals you will need a second dish pointed at 61.5.

Hey, seeing that you have no Dual LNB. Simply use the meter on 119. You should be able to get a touch better than what you have. I am outside the spot beam and can still pick it up at that strength of 125% +. With the meter, when you go to 10 simply turn it to five, align again and keep doing that until you can get no better. In terms of the skew, If you think it is off, it is no biggie. Once you have locked Azimuth and Elevation (left + right & up and down) then put the meter on on of the outside lnb's and then losen the tilt bolts and adjust until you get great signal there as well. Then simply put your cables back and you will be good to go.

-B

You can not get the Dallas locals in New York, because they are on a spotbeam that can only be seen in the Texas area. If you want locals you will need a second dish pointed at 61.5.

Also, East Coast cannot see 129. You might get some kind of signal, but not enough of one to have a steady stream to have a viewable picture. NY dma is on 61.5 because of this.

Bountykiller,

Ok, more dumb questions. I bought a sattelitte finder that has a little needle you can dial down to get the dish pointed 'perfectly. I assume TR #1 means Transponder. on 119, for Transponder 1, the best I was able to get is 111. On 110, TR is at 97, though 20 is at 112.

Ok, this is one thing I am a bit confused on. First, the numbers it gave me for my zip code for 119 and 100 don't appear to be correct. At those settings, I get no signal. I looked at the other dishes on the roof and adjusted mine to similar settings, then tweaked it with the meter I bought and I'm good (for 119 and 110). One thing though, when I go to the Point Dish menu, it does not have the Dish 1000 as an option, only 300, 500 and SuperDish. Could this be part of the problem?

Ok, all three of my lnb's are signel. The W bracket (I assume this is the thing on the front of the Dish that these connect into) has it listed as 129, 119, 110, but the markings are on the bracket themselves.

IF you hit this, all the rest should fall into place just fine when you replace the twin LNB to where it should go. Expect to get about 60-70% on 129 when you do get it aligned perfectly.[/quote[

So since mine doesn't have the twin lnb, just three singles, what else should I do?

One last question, I don't really care about paying for someone to come align this thing, but I'd REALLY like to keep my Dallas channels. If I call an installer, will they come (in general) and get it set up for me no questions asked? Or are they going to make me call Dish and get changed to NYC local channels?

Thanks again. Appreciate the help.
You cannot keep your DFW channels.Once you provided Dish with your new address, those channels will be turned off..In any event, the Dallas locals are spot beamed to the Texas area and not available in NY.
The 129 sat is NOT "visible" in the northestern US...In other words the satellite is below the horizon...Do not beat your head against a wall trying to get a satellite your location cannot receive. Your only two chices are to scrap the HD or call Dish and arrange to have a 61.5 antenna added to restore your HD programming..Well, you could go on line, pruchase the stuff and do the install yourself..

Ok, well that sucks. I didn't know anything about this spot beam stuff. Question though, Even when I put my old zip code in (75077), it doesn't give the setting for the 129 satellitte. So was I not hitting it before? Like I said, I never really played with it before I moved. I also noticed that I am not getting a lot of the HD channels I am supposed to get, is that because of the lack of 129 (or 61.5)?

Thanks.

Bountykiller,

You cannot keep your DFW channels.Once you provided Dish with your new address, those channels will be turned off..In any event, the Dallas locals are spot beamed to the Texas area and not available in NY.
The 129 sat is NOT "visible" in the northestern US...In other words the satellite is below the horizon...Do not beat your head against a wall trying to get a satellite your location cannot receive. Your only two chices are to scrap the HD or call Dish and arrange to have a 61.5 antenna added to restore your HD programming..Well, you could go on line, pruchase the stuff and do the install yourself..

Dishcomm,

The Satellite at 129 is NOT below the horizon in NY or the rest of the Northeast, in fact many subs in New York can get a signal on 148 which is MUCH farther WEST than the 129 orbital slot.

The Problem with 129 is the satellite that resides at that slot was NOT optimized for service from that slot, this makes it signal footprint short of covering the entire Continental US. 129's satellite footprint does not really cover the Northeast and some of the Southeast.

John

Dishcomm,

The Satellite at 129 is NOT below the horizon in NY or the rest of the Northeast, in fact many subs in New York can get a signal on 148 which is MUCH farther WEST than the 129 orbital slot.

The Problem with 129 is the satellite that resides at that slot was NOT optimized for service from that slot, this makes it signal footprint short of covering the entire Continental US. 129's satellite footprint does not really cover the Northeast and some of the Southeast.

John
ok thanks....But outside the footprint vs below the horizon..same difference...Still the 129 is useless in the Northeast.
Now just for giggles I checked the veracity of your statement that the 148 is avaiable in the Northeast..Um...I checked my old zip in northern NJ...the AZ is 272 and the EL is 3 degrees..Heck 3 degrees above the horizon means that if a guy down the street parks his car at the end of his driveway he could block the LOS to 148...Maybe the sat can be "seen" but it isn't practical..But you are correct, the 129 isn't below the horizon....As you say ,it is an optimization /footprint issue

Dishcomm,
Um yeah don't say stuff that is plain in-correct without thinking about what you are saying brother ;0 You will only confused others asking for help ;0 How do you figure 129 is below the horizon in the northeast when you can get it as far up as PEI and even Newfoundland mathematically in theory (all be it NL would be about 1 degree elevation and less than realistic) The reason 129 is not suggested nation wide has nothing to do with line of site. It has to do with the footprint of E-5. The footprint does not *FULLY* cover the NE of the US. However, fully doesnt equal you can't get it at all ;0 You can with the numbers i mentioned get it further north east that NYC (60-70%). Full coverage would equate to a much higher signal. However if you want more signal simply get the larger Dish 1000.2 dish or a dedicated 24 inch one in the northeast and the problem is solved... ;0

-B

Dishcomm,
Um yeah don't say stuff that is plain in-correct without thinking about what you are saying brother ;0 You will only confused others asking for help ;0 How do you figure 129 is below the horizon in the northeast when you can get it as far up as PEI and even Newfoundland mathematically in theory (all be it NL would be about 1 degree elevation and less than realistic) The reason 129 is not suggested nation wide has nothing to do with line of site. It has to do with the footprint of E-5. The footprint does not *FULLY* cover the NE of the US. However, fully doesnt equal you can't get it at all ;0 You can with the numbers i mentioned get it further north east that NYC (60-70%). Full coverage would equate to a much higher signal. However if you want more signal simply get the larger Dish 1000.2 dish or a dedicated 24 inch one in the northeast and the problem is solved... ;0

-B
Hey Mr Pile on the guy who erred..Take a pill. I already did my mea culpas on this..Taking the very first opportunity to pounce on one's mistakes is a sure sign that the pouncer is very insecure about themslelf...So take your OOH OOH, I know, Mr Kotter! act elsewhere...Nobody likes a topper know it all,...I posted my info based on information given to me that I deemed reliable..You never made a mistake before there, mr perfect?..Never mind..I am not intersted in anything you might have to write..I probably would never understand your superior( I am being sarcasrtic here) intellect...Now go into the kitchen and get yourself a cookie..

LNB Drift=Repointing of Dish?

61.5 Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)