1st post

Status
Please reply by conversation.

W4MPS

Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Raleigh, NC
1st Post. Just registered.

I'm a licensed radio amateur (call W4MPS) so have some basic knowledge of electronics, etc. I'm looking for a good primer on FTA and what programming is available on what satellites i.e. - a newbie how-to guide. What's the best place to start on the site? I'm amazed at how little info is available on the web. Many thanks.

There are a number of hams here in the FTA department.
Some sport their call signs, and some of us don't.

We have a list of satellites and transponders - see The List at the top of every page.
It's a little technical for the newbie, but very useful after you get into the hobby.

Likewise, the Global-CM site has some very good info.
The owner is a member here.

FTA List is not associated, but is the most simplified for Ku-band only, and might be the place to look first.
It won't scare anyone . :rolleyes:
And they list channels by language - a very useful feature.

Wow a ham sandwich does sound good rite about now .. BTW welcome to Satguys

1st Post. Just registered.

I'm a licensed radio amateur (call W4MPS) so have some basic knowledge of electronics, etc. I'm looking for a good primer on FTA and what programming is available on what satellites i.e. - a newbie how-to guide. What's the best place to start on the site? I'm amazed at how little info is available on the web. Many thanks.

Welcome the forum and to the community.

FTA means free to air, non encrypted in the clear signals. FTA could also mean OTA (Over The air local TV broadcasters), but mainly it applies to satellite signals that are open. You can purchase a receiver, dish, lnb and needed supplies for $200+. With this you can get one satellite, add a bracket and some extra lnbs and a simple switch and you can hit more satellites. Another method is to add more dishes, another method is to add a motor.

There is Ku Band and most dishes are around 30" to 39". Then there is C-Band most dishes are 6 to 15 feet. A modern FTA receiver can pick up C-band and Ku band.

97W Ku Band has the most channels, many of them are international although there are english speaking and religious also. 99W C-Band has the Virgin Island TV Networks, much like regular OTA channels. There are sports and news wild feeds on many different satellites, these can be interesting to watch...especially during a major news event.

Nice meeting other fellow Hams here. There's lots of amateur spacecraft to communicate through, but none have a geosynchronous orbit. You will have fun with FTA here at Satelliteguys. Welcome!!

:welcome

W4MPS,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! You will really enjoy this, I know you will!

There actually is a lot of material available on the web, but some of it is rather obscure. Someone here has usually found the links to resources that you will need or want. Here are some that I can add to what the others have.

SatBeams - Home

Satellite look-angle calculator

LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite

Sun Outage Calculator

Of course there are a lot more resources available and the best are probably right here on this forum.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)