2/17/2014 12:17pm - Uplink Activity Report - 2 changes

D

DigiDish Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 2/17/2014 12:17pm - 2 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 02/17/2014 01:01A - 02/17/2014 12:16P

Channel Renames:
9645(95) - AMEX - EchoStar11 110W TP 10 ConUS beam renamed to DEAL (A) (FP)
9645(95) - AMEX - Nimiq5 72.7W TP 23 ConUS beam renamed to DEAL (A) (FP)

Channels in the system: 9219
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers
(FP) = Free Preview

The Format and Layout of the SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is © Copyright 2014 SatelliteGuys.US and may not be republished without written permission from SatelliteGuys.US.

The SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is powered by Digiblur Technologies! - DigiDish v12.09.27

© 2014 - All Rights Reserved - SatelliteGuys Incorporated

I'll take door number 2!
Yes, but if Monty knows where the prize is, and purposefully opens one of the other doors that does not have the prize, should you switch to the other unopened door, or does it not matter probability-wise? :)

True!! When given three doors, after picking one, then shown one of the remaining three that isn't the prize, you should switch to the remaining door you did not take. It really does give you a better chance.

3 doors, you have a 1 in three chance
one door shown, not the prize
two doors left, but the odds DO NOT CHANGE - it is still the 1 in three chance it was to begin with. If you now change to the other door remaining it is a 1 in two chance now. Staying with the original door keeps at 1 in three. Try it with cups or something and you will be amazed, over time you will win more often by switching after being shown one of the three doors.

I was waiting for that 1 person to chime in and vehemently argue the opposite. :)

True!! When given three doors, after picking one, then shown one of the remaining three that isn't the prize, you should switch to the remaining door you did not take. It really does give you a better chance.
That always gets my brain to do somersaults. But yup. I look at it this way, your first choice gives you a 2 in 3 chance of being wrong. I always prefer looking at odds in a sense of what are my chances of losing. Makes gambling seem real dumb.

If you now change to the other door remaining it is a 1 in two chance now. Staying with the original door keeps at 1 in three. Try it with cups or something and you will be amazed, over time you will win more often by switching after being shown one of the three doors.
Is it 1 in 2 or 2 in 3? If you switch, you aren't as much switching to 50/50, but 66 to 33... and change. If you switch, you switch to choosing two doors, the one that is open and the alternate.

The best way to look at it is this: Do I stay with my one door, or do I take the other two doors, one of which Monty will reveal as an empty door?

That always gets my brain to do somersaults. But yup. I look at it this way, your first choice gives you a 2 in 3 chance of being wrong. I always prefer looking at odds in a sense of what are my chances of losing. Makes gambling seem real dumb.

Is it 1 in 2 or 2 in 3? If you switch, you aren't as much switching to 50/50, but 66 to 33... and change. If you switch, you switch to choosing two doors, the one that is open and the alternate.

I think your explanation is better. Dare2be has probably the clearest explanation.

3 doors, you have a 1 in three chance
one door shown, not the prize
two doors left, but the odds DO NOT CHANGE - it is still the 1 in three chance it was to begin with. If you now change to the other door remaining it is a 1 in two chance now. Staying with the original door keeps at 1 in three. Try it with cups or something and you will be amazed, over time you will win more often by switching after being shown one of the three doors.

Or watch the Mythbusters episode on it if you're lazy xD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mythbusters had to do a show about it? :facepalm:
It isn't exactly obvious. And you'll see some people argue to they are blue in the face that it doesn't matter if you switch, despite them being wrong. I think there are a couple websites that have a test of it and you can see how the odds are truly in your favor to switch.

It isn't exactly obvious. And you'll see some people argue to they are blue in the face that it doesn't matter if you switch, despite them being wrong. I think there are a couple websites that have a test of it and you can see how the odds are truly in your favor to switch.
Yeah, unfortunately the fish didn't bite this time in this thread. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)