2/5/2009 2:12am Uplink Activity Report - 92 changes

So maybe Dish has decided to leave the 1080i standard for high definition, and fall back to 786i at 14x9. That would let them do 8 channels pretty comfortably, maybe even 9. DirecTv may have done something similar before they got their additional sats up (although they probably would not have admitted it). Although that would not be traditional high definition TV, which is usually presumed to be not less than 720P or 1080i, and some people would be able to detect the reduction in quality. Just a thought, and something to watch for in the coming weeks and months.

Fitzie

On further thought, I believe what they are actually doing is the 1440x810i standard, and is what some posters have referred to as "HD lite." That's 3/4 of the 1920x1080i typical HD standard, which was originally designated as HD. That is very slightly better than the 786i standard, and is also a very decent picture, although the 786i is at 14x9 as compared to 16x9. At that rate, with MPeg 4 and statmux techniques, Dish probably can crowd 8 channels into a TP. If I recall correctly, HBO and a few other HD providers have objected to reduced quality broadcasting of their signal.

Happy days.

Fitzie

Has columbus OH moved to spotbeam? Im wondering if I am in this spotbeam in erie pa..I can see satellite 129 and can recieve signal through the proper spotbeam listed on this thread