2 Dishes for HD CBS

Jim88GT

Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Dish told me there was a charge to install the 2nd dish for HD CBS but the install is free if I get the 2nd dish for channel 40.

How does the 2nd dish wire in to the receiver? Do I need 2 cables from the receiver to the dishes?
Thanks,

The two dishes are switced at the location of the dishes themselves. No need for new wiring into the house.

Ch. 40 must be one of the OP's local channels that's a "must carry". Long boring story, but E* ust give you the 2nd dish for free if they've got your locals split across birds where you need two dishes.

If that's not the case for you, you're down a Franklin. :)

From what I understand Ch. 40 is a holy Ch. its on the same satellite as CBS HD.
If you want the holy Ch. It’s free. :D I receive all of my local channels with one dish.

Jim88

Where are you located? EDIT: aftwer a little looking, Pittsburgh has a channel 40, so you must be in the DMA?

Some areas have local channels on a 2nd dish (Minneapolis is one example). Bottom line, if there is a channel on a side satellite, Dish has to (BY LAW) supply the dish, installation and all necessary hardware to receive that channel (even though you may never watch it).

That's how I got a SW64 a long time ago :)

I am located in Pittsburgh.
What is DMA?
So Ch. 40 must be a local holy Ch.?
I think its cool the dish sales man informed me of this to get my 2nd dish for free. :cool:

Thanks for the info.

DMA is Designated Market Area.....where they (FCC & Nielsen companies) say you are lcoated. Dish can sell these locals to you

CH 40 is Cornerstone. It is on a 2nd dish lcoation (61.5) so Dish has to supply the 2nd dish.

Call Dish and say "I was going through my locals (assuming you have them), and one of the channels says I need a 2nd dish for free". If they try to talk you out of it, tell them you WANT the 2nd dish (and then file a complaint with the FCC)

I took this from www.dishchannelchart.com

If you do not have a second dish pointed at 61.5° and are a local channel subscriber, you can call Dish Network 800-333-3474 and ask for your free dish and installation to receive this channel. By FCC ruling, Dish must provide any equipment and installation necessary FREE OF CHARGE to anyone wishing to receive all their local channels*.

Getting the 2nd dish for free was no problem except they could not install it before February 2005. the HDTV is getting installed this Saturday.
It took some polite Bitching but they are installing the dish and HDTV on Saturday the same day.

What direction will the 2nd dish point to

Thanks,

Jim88GT said:
Getting the 2nd dish for free was no problem except they could not install it before February 2005. the HDTV is getting installed this Saturday.
It took some polite Bitching but they are installing the dish and HDTV on Saturday the same day.

What direction will the 2nd dish point to

Thanks,

huh??? Feb 05 seems a little stupid...Its not like they're out of Dish500's :)

korsjs

Just ran an address in the Mpls, MN DMA (which has 2nd dish). They're still doing it

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN Local Channels

$5.99 per month

Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
MINNEAPOLIS ABC-KSTP (LOCALS) 5 8570
MINNEAPOLIS CBS-WCCO (LOCALS) 4 8571
MINNEAPOLIS FOX-KMSP (LOCALS) 9 8575
MINNEAPOLIS IND-KSTC (LOCALS) 45 8577
MINNEAPOLIS NBC-KARE (LOCALS) 11 8572
MINNEAPOLIS PBS-KTCI (LOCALS) 17 8580
MINNEAPOLIS PBS-KTCA (LOCALS) 2 8576
MINNEAPOLIS UPN-WFTC (LOCALS) 29 8573
MINNEAPOLIS WB-KMWB (LOCALS) 23 8574
MINNEAPOLIS PBS-KAWE (LOCALS)* 22 8583

* You will need a second satellite dish to view these additional channels. DISH Network will provide the second dish and installation free of charge. For more information, or to schedule an installation, please call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

I ran into the same prob, got a CBS waiver but Dish wont ibstall because they say I dont have line of site? I do if you dont mount the 2 dishes side by side, any suggestions?

What do you mean side by side? On the same pole?

When I had a second dish installed (61.5), the 2 dishes had about 1/2" gap between the 2 dishes

My d500 is roof mounted Dish wont install must carry bc they say I dont have line of site. I know I do about 25ft on the side of the roof. I told them just leave the equipment and I will install it mself. They wouldnt. They didnt get on the roof or anything to look.

call them back and demand you get a second installer.

If you feel you have a LOS and they say no, then you can complain to the FCC. My dad has a partial LOS issue and the first tech wouldnt do it, but I called Dish back and the 2nd installer did find LOS.

They won;t leave the equipment, but when the installer comes, prove that you can get LOS :)

Interesting... I was not going to ask for a 2nd dish, since I don't care about 3 local channels on a separate satellite (LA area), but now it's different story. Are CBS HD and LA locals on the same satellite?
If I get 2 dishes, what kind of h/w they are going to install for DHA, 3 TVs, 522+811? I am somewhat sensitive to number of holes in my house and coax running all around. My 3 TVs are in different parts of the house.

mammothskier said:
Interesting... I was not going to ask for a 2nd dish, since I don't care about 3 local channels on a separate satellite (LA area), but now it's different story. Are CBS HD and LA locals on the same satellite?
If I get 2 dishes, what kind of h/w they are going to install for DHA, 3 TVs, 522+811? I am somewhat sensitive to number of holes in my house and coax running all around. My 3 TVs are in different parts of the house.

yes they are.

all they would install is a DP34 switch and run everything off of it....no extra holes drilled except for the 2nd dish :)

Iceberg said:
yes they are.

all they would install is a DP34 switch and run everything off of it....no extra holes drilled except for the 2nd dish :)

That's what happened to me also. I wanted to get some international channels(from Brazil) but I needed to get a second dish for it. The guy from dish actually was the one who told me about the 'must carry' deal for 2 of my local channels so I avoided having to pay them to install my second dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)