Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I’ve seen those 2 LNB holders for dishes and maybe might get one…but here is the question

Does anybody right now have 2 KU LNB’s on one 30” dish and if so, how far apart?
(I don’t want an answer like I heard its done..hell, Ive said that)

Basically I want to get SBS6 & AMC9 on one dish (for the feeds come fall) :D
(if you’ve read my dish install saga, I cant get a good signal on SBS6 but fine on the rest from AMC5-AMC4

I will take a picture of mine when I get home. I use one Universal and one Standard Ku LNB. I have them exactly 10 degrees apart. That is about as close as I could put them and still get 80% or better quality.

pictures would be nice :)

I know I can get 5 degrees apart...but wanted 2 KU band about 9 degrees apart and still have decent signal :)

I like having 10 degrees because all I have to do with motor is add 10 and get to movin. I will admit that they are mounted 10 degrees apart by sheer luck.

My ASC-421 will be here today according to UPS and thanks to PSB... That presents another problem if I want to cram it in the middle.

iceberg, why not fashion one out of plumbers tape? ive seen a few pics where people have done that.

i'll rig something up there :)

I was more worried that it wouldn't work....couple metal bars and we should be set

I have 5 Ku LNBs (1 linear and 4 circular) on a stationary DirecWay 24x36 eliptical dish. I could post a picture but Iceberg himself will put me in jail if I do. :cool:

zodiak said:
I have 5 Ku LNBs (1 linear and 4 circular) on a stationary DirecWay 24x36 eliptical dish. I could post a picture but Iceberg himself will put me in jail if I do. :cool:

as long as you aint hacking...I don't care :)

DBS can be done easily...its the 2 KU ones I need

DBS is Dish Network, ExpressVu, DirecTV (the 12.2-12.7 area)

KU is from 11.0-12.2 and would be satellites like T5, T6, G11, SBS6, G10 :)

zodiak said:
Do you mind me asking what is the difference?
DBS signals are much stronger, thus putting a DBS LNBF on the side of a 75 cm dish would still get decent signals.

As far as KU is concerned, I've tried 4 LNBFs on one dish (87, 91, 97 and 101), but it's not a 75 cm but a 120 cm dish, so spacing and signal strengths are OK.

I've also try a variety of KU and DBS combinations on a 75 cm dish, but never 2 KU LNBFs on a 75 cm because I suspect the one on the side would not be able to get good signals.

I have picked up IA6 and AMC9 using 2 ku's and my 36x26 P* dish. I used the multi-feed system idea from Global Communications. I even added one dss lnb for E7 (audio only!).

Because I haven't moved my P* dish far enough east, I haven't tried the exact set up Iceberg is looking for, but if I could get two birds at 93 and 83, I don't know why you couldn't get 83 and 74.

I might have to rig up the 36" maybe

I can get 74 & 83 with the motorized, but I'd like to fix a dish at those 2 for this fall :)

I just picked up another P* dish. At first I was bummed because it has both H&V ports on the lnb, but it came with a ChannelMaster in-line splitter (or whatever it's called) with two outputs which I assumed were for two receivers. What I didn't know until I hooked it up to my 2700A was would it actually switch between H&V. Low and behold it works like a charm. Now if I can find another one of those switches for my 2nd P* dish I should be set. The first P* dish I got the lnb only had one output H&V which works dandy. I assume Iceberg that 83 and 74 are good for college fb.

2 lnbf's

My two dual lnbf setups are both 4° apart. You might laugh, but when I set up two lnbf's together, I first lock the signal for the main lnbf and tighten the dish in place. Then I just grab the 2nd lnbf and move it around by hand (very slowly) until a signal comes in on it. That way I know "about" where to locate the 2nd lnbf. The final location should be somewhere to the left or the right of your main lnbf, only a bit higher or lower.

Try it, it should work! (Obviously, you shouldn't stand in front of the dish when you're doing this.)

As for the lnbf holders, I've found the ones offered by retailers rediculously expensive. I've found that a 6-8 inch strip of metal with a hole in the middle and one at each end works just as well. The home hardware stores carry metal pipe brackets ($2.50) that you can flatten out with a hammer and bend to accommodate your "approximate" location. At first I preferred this method because of the price difference; now I find the pipe brackets are just a better product and easier to work with.

Lining up 2 or more lnbf's on a non-eliptical dish is time consuming, but entirely feasible. I don't have a motor, and I suspect I'll never want one. I can't imagine how others deal with the time you have to wait for the dish to reposition when changing channels.

Othea said:
Lining up 2 or more lnbf's on a non-eliptical dish is time consuming, but entirely feasible. I don't have a motor, and I suspect I'll never want one. I can't imagine how others deal with the time you have to wait for the dish to reposition when changing channels.

It's much faster than moving the dish by hand... :)

I can't imaging owning a FTA system and not wanting access to all the satellites on the clark belt with a single dish, because I'm unwilling to wait a few seconds for the dish to track.

How long do you think it takes to reposition the dish? It is very fast.

Today I was able to mount two kufss lnb's on the P* dish, one at 101 the other at 83, it worked 'dandy.' My next experiment will be add a 3rd to get 93, 83 and 74. I also hooked up the analog I just found yesterday and got the test channel on tr.19 on AMC9.....works like a charm! BTW check out UonTV at 12177 on IA5 at 97-degrees.

metal pipe brackets for lnb holder

Othea said:
My two dual lnbf setups are both 4° apart. You might laugh, but when I set up two lnbf's together, I first lock the signal for the main lnbf and tighten the dish in place. Then I just grab the 2nd lnbf and move it around by hand (very slowly) until a signal comes in on it. That way I know "about" where to locate the 2nd lnbf. The final location should be somewhere to the left or the right of your main lnbf, only a bit higher or lower.

Try it, it should work! (Obviously, you shouldn't stand in front of the dish when you're doing this.)

As for the lnbf holders, I've found the ones offered by retailers rediculously expensive. I've found that a 6-8 inch strip of metal with a hole in the middle and one at each end works just as well. The home hardware stores carry metal pipe brackets ($2.50) that you can flatten out with a hammer and bend to accommodate your "approximate" location. At first I preferred this method because of the price difference; now I find the pipe brackets are just a better product and easier to work with.

Would you post your metal pipe brackets picture so I can go out to a hareware store to buy one. I have trouble to hold the second lnb.

Gong

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)