2 separate accounts to get 2 sets of locals?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK..I know there are people who have 2 Dish accounts due to the amount of receivers they have (more than 6 and you have to start a new acct), but can you have 2 separate dish accts to get locals from 2 different DMA's?

Here's my situation...
Service address is in the Minneapolis DMA so I qualify for Mpls locals...but have a cabin in the Duluth DMA (locals not yet available)..

When Duluth locals are available, I would like to get them at the lake mostly for the local weather (Duluth weather is so unpredictable) and for UMD bulldogs hockey...but I don't want to lose the Mpls locals at my house (some good stuff on the Ind. station..plus I can't pick them up on the antenna at all). Right now I'm transporting one of my receivers from the house to the cabin but Mpls stations don't really talk about Duluth weather.

Will Dish allow me to have 2 accounts at 2 different service address to get locals from 2 different DMA's?

It should not be a problem. Of course you will need a different receiver(s) for the Duluth account. Just list the cabin as a service address and have the billings sent to your home.

If you do not mind hauling a receiver back and forth, then you could buy a new receiver for the cabin and just have the locals activated on it. This would be a monthly $5 fee plus 5.99 for the locals. The Mlps receiver you haul to the cabin could be used to watch the other channels. Otherwise you will be paying the full package price twice.

Good luck.

Hijack ...

So if i were a seven receiver customer, forced into a second contract, wold I be paying for the package twice?

1 rec = Package Price; 2 rec = Package Price plus $5; 3 rec = Package Price plus $10; 4 rec = Package Price plus $15; 5 rec = Package Price plus $20; 6 rec = Package Price plus $25; ...

7 rec = 2 Package Prices plus $25?

JL

WTguy said:
It should not be a problem. Of course you will need a different receiver(s) for the Duluth account. Just list the cabin as a service address and have the billings sent to your home.
Ive got an old 3000 receiver sitting around so I'll just use that (it does have the current software on it)

Otherwise you will be paying the full package price twice.
Won't be doing that..All I want on the Duluth receiver is locals (again, mostly for the weather)

Now if Dish will get in gear and add Duluth locals anytime soon :)

Re: Hijack ...

justalurker said:
So if i were a seven receiver customer, forced into a second contract, wold I be paying for the package twice?

1 rec = Package Price; 2 rec = Package Price plus $5; 3 rec = Package Price plus $10; 4 rec = Package Price plus $15; 5 rec = Package Price plus $20; 6 rec = Package Price plus $25; ...

7 rec = 2 Package Prices plus $25?

JL

Yep. Once you hit the 6 receiver max, they start a new account. So you would be paying twice for whatever you choose (At50, 100, etc)

Ice, after making my post yesterday, I was wondering if Duluth might be a Superdish local. If they do go on Superdish, then I think you will have to do something besides your 3000 because I believe I read where they were not getting the software for the Superdish (I know mine has not been upgraded yet but by 4900 was).

According to the 11/25 retailer chat, it was noted that Duluth is a Dish500 city. Of course, on the Charlie Chat, Duluth was no where to be found on their list of cities coming soon.

So hopefully Duluth is coming January, just as said on the retailer chat, and on Dish500 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts