2013 MLB Free Agents

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
From the list posted, I was looking to see who would improve the Tigers ....
2b, SS are the biggest areas, but once again, not much out there in those areas.
Palonco would be nice, but he's 37 I think, and his avg dipped dramatically this year, could be other reasons for it, but if he doesn't hit his typical .290 or better, he's not much better than what they have already.

SS, theres no BIG names out there either.

The Red Sox only have two veteran position players under contract for next year - Pedroia and Ellsbury - and are reasonably concerned that they will not have a current-team negotiating advantage with Ellsbury at the end of the year because he is not really a teammate of anyone there. Middlebrooks is a lock to play third base, but six other daily line-up spots must be filled. The Red Sox are a big market team that cannot wheel out an April, 2013 lineup of Nava, Kalish, Inglesis, Saltalamacchia, Lavarnway, and Aviles like they can in places like Kansas City or Milwaukee or Pittsburgh, so they are going to have to buy about $100 million worth of groceries from the free agent store.

They'll buy a starting pitcher, too. They've got Lester and Buchholz signed, but their number three starter at the moment looks to be Lackey and they have no faith in the other half a dozen guys who filled out their rotation this year. As far as their bullpen is concerned, I think they will just go with what they have and expect better results.

Last edited:
Thats interesting Mike. I thought Salty and Lavarnway had pretty good stats? There not that good? Btw, when you talk about starting pitching, I think his name is Felix Dubront who's on the Red Sox? He's had a pretty good year for the Red Sox, no?

Thats interesting Mike. I thought Salty and Lavarnway had pretty good stats? There not that good? Btw, when you talk about starting pitching, I think his name is Felix Dubront who's on the Red Sox? He's had a pretty good year for the Red Sox, no?

There is a saying that you're never as good as you look like you are when you're winning and never as bad as you look like you are when you're losing. And then, there's an even older saying, going back to Aristotle, that there is an exception to every rule. Saltalamacchia is that exception. When he is going bad, he is worse than bad. When he goes into a batting slump, anyone can see that he isn't going to break out of it in the next at bat... or in the next week. And his caught stealing percentage has dropped to 18% while the league average is 25%, and he is leading the league in stolen bases allowed with 76, which means they are running wild when he is behind the plate.

Lavarnway is an enigma. In 2011, he hit .290 with power in Triple A but bombed out in the majors. This year he hit .290 in Triple A again but this time without power and he is now bombing out again in the majors. I would have thought that a guy who hits a steady .290 in Triple A for about 600 at bats over two years would hit .260 to .270 in the bigs, but Lavarnway doesn't. He will actually have to make the major league roster by hitting well in spring training or go back to Pawtuckett for a third year.

Doubront had a so-so year only if you average in his good first half with his sucky second half, but that is not a reliable way to evaluate a pitcher's future prospects. The other starters included Tazawa (or is it Tawaza?), Cook, Morales and Dice-K. Cook is the only sinkerballer I know of who throws letter high sinkers.

Last edited:
I dont follow the Red Sox as well as you but it seems like Dice-K never reached his potential. I mean, at least with me, when I hear about starting pitching it was Beckett and Lester that seemed to get the attention. Dice-K never really factored in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)