2021 Dish Prices

Talked to the DISH senior resolution department yesterday about my recent bill still showing $15 for my owned Hopper 3. This guy I talked to wasn’t very helpful. He said that the 2021 price changes web page was for DISH retail customers only. I stopped short of telling him what I thought of that. I never heard of different prices for DISH retail and regular DISH customers before. He supposedly sent an email to the last senior resolution lady that I talked to last time to call me. She hasn’t called yet. I wish DISH would just say why us older customers aren’t getting the owned Hopper 3 for $5. I think I am giving up.
Never give up! Never surrender!

I still like my idea of having a couple of members here with purchased second Hopper 3's go ahead and swap receivers with each other. (After transferring all of your recordings from those Hoppers to external hard drives, of course.) Then we could see if those "new" (to your account) purchased Hopper 3's still get charged the $15, or if they correctly get charged the $5. I would be curious to see what happens.

Never give up! Never surrender!

I still like my idea of having a couple of members here with purchased second Hopper 3's go ahead and swap receivers with each other. (After transferring all of your recordings from those Hoppers to external hard drives, of course.) Then we could see if those "new" (to your account) purchased Hopper 3's still get charged the $15, or if they correctly get charged the $5. I would be curious to see what happens.
I wonder if there is a higher up than the Loyalty department at DISH that we can call or email!

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I am still getting charged $15 for my second Hopper3 which is purchased. They have tried since February to get it reduced to $5. Twice they removed it from my account and then added it back but it did not reduce the price. The only positive was that they were able to reduce the Movie pack and STARZ to $5 from $10 for 6 months. I have given up trying. The senior resolution team have sincerely tried with no success.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am still getting charged $15 for my second Hopper3 which is purchased. They have tried since February to get it reduced to $5. Twice they removed it from my account and then added it back but it did not reduce the price. The only positive was that they were able to reduce the Movie pack and STARZ to $5 from $10 for 6 months. I have given up trying. The senior resolution team have sincerely tried with no success.

I still say that the reason why that didn't work was because they were adding the exact same Hopper back to the account. Somehow, that specific Hopper tied to your account got "grandfathered" at the higher rate, and cannot be changed, no matter how many times it is removed. A different Hopper 3 that was never tied to your account before may be able to successfully break that "grandfathering" link to the old rate.

If you login to your account online, under equipment it shows ownership status. Have you checked to see if that is accurate?

The first Hopper 3 is leased and second one shows as purchased. There is no indication of which Hopper 3 is primary.
The one that is most beneficial. I said that back in the beginning, I believe. Is there anyone with both H3’s owned and having this issue, or is it just those that have one leased and one purchased?

The one that is most beneficial. I said that back in the beginning, I believe. Is there anyone with both H3’s owned and having this issue, or is it just those that have one leased and one purchased?
Not two H3's, but I have two owned H2's. One is charged the regular rate, in my case a grandfathered $12, and the second one is charged $5. That happened automatically with no input from me...

Not two H3's, but I have two owned H2's. One is charged the regular rate, in my case a grandfathered $12, and the second one is charged $5. That happened automatically with no input from me...
That sounds correct. The DVR service fee shouldn’t go down. Or I didn’t see the SERVICE fee removed, just the receiver fees being reduced.

It shows one of my Hopper3 as leased and one as purchased. There is no indication of which Hopper3 is primary.

The first Hopper 3 is leased and second one shows as purchased. There is no indication of which Hopper 3 is primary.
Generally, the one at the top of that list will be the primary. (Otherwise, it may simply be the most recent one activated among the receivers in that same family.) For example, whenever I activate my purchased Hopper 3, it moves to the top of my list as the primary, and I see under My Programming that the $10 fee (for access for two TV's) has been added for my ViP222k.

I used to have all kinds of ViP and Hopper/Wally equipment listed there, that I could deactivate and reactivate at will. The primary receiver (the one without a receiver fee) would always stay at the top of the list. Other receivers in the same family (such as Wally/ViP211k) would have the most recent activation at the top of that group, if I had more than one active at the same time.

Generally, the one at the top of that list will be the primary. (Otherwise, it may simply be the most recent one activated among the receivers in that same family.) For example, whenever I activate my purchased Hopper 3, it moves to the top of my list as the primary, and I see under My Programming that the $10 fee (for access for two TV's) has been added for my ViP222k.

I used to have all kinds of ViP and Hopper/Wally equipment listed there, that I could deactivate and reactivate at will. The primary receiver (the one without a receiver fee) would always stay at the top of the list. Other receivers in the same family (such as Wally/ViP211k) would have the most recent activation at the top of that group, if I had more than one active at the same time.
Leased or owned vs leased or owned, the higher tier receiver will always be the primary first. So regardless of ownership status of either receiver, if the H3 is active and the 222 is as well, the H3 will be the primary. Same with a 722/222 combo. The 722 will be primary regardless of activation and ownership dates. This is one of the things I use to do specifically when I worked there.
I still haven’t seen someone say that they had all owned equipment and had the billing issue. If that has been said, can someone repost it. It’s always been one owned one leased, which makes since the leased one would be the one that is most advantageous to Dish and the one the system will automatically choose to charge the highest fee against.

It’s always been one owned one leased, which makes since the leased one would be the one that is most advantageous to Dish and the one the system will automatically choose to charge the highest fee against.
The problem is that the fee for a leased one is exactly the same, regardless of whether it is the primary or secondary one. If it is the primary, then it gets charged the DVR fee. If it is the secondary, it gets charged the leased receiver fee. Either way, that would be $15. So, Dish's billing system may not have been set up to distinguish between the two Hopper 3's (giving one priority over the other) since prior to this year's changes, it made absolutely no difference as far as the amount being billed.

However, the situation unique to the Hopper 3 is that Dish required the second Hopper 3 to be purchased. So, everybody with two Hopper 3's is going to have at least one purchased one. If Dish's billing system is set up to give one type of receiver (leased or owned) a priority, then the system may have been set up to automatically make the purchased one the primary receiver. This may have made sense to Dish at the time, since the leased one would be seen as a secondary one that can be removed at any time and returned to Dish, while the purchased one is yours to keep. However, such a system would result in the billing issue being reported in this thread. Such logic would also be the exact opposite of how most people with purchased receivers likely use them, as they would prefer to remove and add the purchased receiver at will in order to avoid the requirement to return it. However, as I stated, most people with purchased Hopper 3's probably did not specifically purchase it because of the convenience of wanting to be able to remove it at any time. Rather, they wanted to have two Hopper 3's and keep them active all of the time, but simply were not allowed to lease both of them.

The billing issue also gets more tricky, and may in fact be unique to just the Hopper 3, since the Hopper 3 has always had the $15 DVR fee. Other models of Hopper have gone through more than one round of grandfathering. So, the DVR fee for those models will vary, depending on when you first signed up or switched to using that model. Therefore, Dish would have more reason to pay attention and be careful about which one of those Hoppers is the primary, due to the DVR fee grandfathering. Again, before this year's changes, it never made any difference as far as the Hopper 3 was concerned. (The other Hopper model with no such grandfathering to worry about is the Hopper Duo with its $10 DVR fee. However, the Hopper Duo is also not subject to any discount toward the fee for a secondary purchased one, as already discussed earlier in this thread.)

Now, we get to those customers who are set up with a $5 discount toward that DVR fee, due to agreeing to a two-year contract. That discount naturally would have been applied to the primary receiver, since that was the one with the DVR fee. However, as I speculated above, the purchased receiver may have been set up as the primary by default. The problem with this year's purchased receiver fee discounts is that it should have switched the leased receiver to being the primary, since it would now be the one with the highest fee. Unfortunately, if Dish's system still has the $5 discount tied to the purchased receiver (which should now only be $5) then that would result in effectively a $0 fee for a secondary receiver. (Also, the system would now be trying to apply a DVR fee discount to a specific receiver that is now no longer being charged a DVR fee, due to being switched to being the secondary receiver.) Dish's system would then see this as an error, and switch the priority back the other way. This gives the purchased receiver a high enough fee (and the proper type of fee) to qualify for the DVR fee discount, but also results in the secondary receiver (the leased one) being the one that is now subject to the higher $15 fee. (Again, this is similar to the Hopper Duo situation I mentioned above, where the primary Hopper Duo has a $10 DVR fee, but the purchased secondary Hopper Duo still has a $15 fee.)

As I speculated in previous posts, taking one of the problematic receivers completely off of your account, and replacing it with a different Hopper that has never been tied to your account, may be the only way to get Dish's billing for your account to reset, so that you are then charged properly going forward.

The problem is that the fee for a leased one is exactly the same, regardless of whether it is the primary or secondary one. If it is the primary, then it gets charged the DVR fee. If it is the secondary, it gets charged the leased receiver fee. Either way, that would be $15. So, Dish's billing system may not have been set up to distinguish between the two Hopper 3's (giving one priority over the other) since prior to this year's changes, it made absolutely no difference as far as the amount being billed.

However, the situation unique to the Hopper 3 is that Dish required the second Hopper 3 to be purchased. So, everybody with two Hopper 3's is going to have at least one purchased one. If Dish's billing system is set up to give one type of receiver (leased or owned) a priority, then the system may have been set up to automatically make the purchased one the primary receiver. This may have made sense to Dish at the time, since the leased one would be seen as a secondary one that can be removed at any time and returned to Dish, while the purchased one is yours to keep. However, such a system would result in the billing issue being reported in this thread. Such logic would also be the exact opposite of how most people with purchased receivers likely use them, as they would prefer to remove and add the purchased receiver at will in order to avoid the requirement to return it. However, as I stated, most people with purchased Hopper 3's probably did not specifically purchase it because of the convenience of wanting to be able to remove it at any time. Rather, they wanted to have two Hopper 3's and keep them active all of the time, but simply were not allowed to lease both of them.

The billing issue also gets more tricky, and may in fact be unique to just the Hopper 3, since the Hopper 3 has always had the $15 DVR fee. Other models of Hopper have gone through more than one round of grandfathering. So, the DVR fee for those models will vary, depending on when you first signed up or switched to using that model. Therefore, Dish would have more reason to pay attention and be careful about which one of those Hoppers is the primary, due to the DVR fee grandfathering. Again, before this year's changes, it never made any difference as far as the Hopper 3 was concerned. (The other Hopper model with no such grandfathering to worry about is the Hopper Duo with its $10 DVR fee. However, the Hopper Duo is also not subject to any discount toward the fee for a secondary purchased one, as already discussed earlier in this thread.)

Now, we get to those customers who are set up with a $5 discount toward that DVR fee, due to agreeing to a two-year contract. That discount naturally would have been applied to the primary receiver, since that was the one with the DVR fee..

According to the last agent the problem is that the Dish billing software does not allow both the $5 discount on the DVR fee for those of us with a 2 year contract and the $5 fee for a owned Hopper3.
So my question to everyone: “Is anyone with two Hopper3 receivers where 1 is purchased and 1 is leased getting both the $5 DVR discount and the $5 fee for the second Hopper3?”
Keep in mind that my purchased Joey3 is getting the correct $5 charge.

Now, we get to those customers who are set up with a $5 discount toward that DVR fee, due to agreeing to a two-year contract. That discount naturally would have been applied to the primary receiver, since that was the one with the DVR fee. However, as I speculated above, the purchased receiver may have been set up as the primary by default. The problem with this year's purchased receiver fee discounts is that it should have switched the leased receiver to being the primary, since it would now be the one with the highest fee. Unfortunately, if Dish's system still has the $5 discount tied to the purchased receiver (which should now only be $5) then that would result in effectively a $0 fee for a secondary receiver. (Also, the system would now be trying to apply a DVR fee discount to a specific receiver that is now no longer being charged a DVR fee, due to being switched to being the secondary receiver.) Dish's system would then see this as an error, and switch the priority back the other way. This gives the purchased receiver a high enough fee (and the proper type of fee) to qualify for the DVR fee discount, but also results in the secondary receiver (the leased one) being the one that is now subject to the higher $15 fee. (Again, this is similar to the Hopper Duo situation I mentioned above, where the primary Hopper Duo has a $10 DVR fee, but the purchased secondary Hopper Duo still has a $15 fee.)

As I speculated in previous posts, taking one of the problematic receivers completely off of your account, and replacing it with a different Hopper that has never been tied to your account, may be the only way to get Dish's billing for your account to reset, so that you are then charged properly going forward.
You’re making this too complex. Think easier. Whichever is most advantageous to Dish is the one that will be charged the higher fee. No more no less. Right or wrong, like it or don’t like it, but everytime they have done this, this is exactly how they have implemented it over the last 15 years. And yes, they have done this before. Not many people knew this about the 625 towards the end of its life.

According to the last agent the problem is that the Dish billing software does not allow both the $5 discount on the DVR fee for those of us with a 2 year contract and the $5 fee for a owned Hopper3.
So my question to everyone: “Is anyone with two Hopper3 receivers where 1 is purchased and 1 is leased getting both the $5 DVR discount and the $5 fee for the second Hopper3?”
Considering that the $5 fee for the owned Hopper 3 is a $10 discount, then for practical purposes the more relevant question would be "Is there any way to remove the $5 DVR fee discount, in order to qualify for the $10 receiver fee discount?" If the system will not allow both at the same time, then at least let the subscriber choose the one that provides the bigger discount.

Whichever is most advantageous to Dish is the one that will be charged the higher fee.
This reminds me more of Directv, with the way that they grandfathered their receiver fees, depending on when you signed up. At the time I signed up, there was no fee for the first (standard) receiver, but there was a $10 fee if you wanted access to HD programming. (Or rather, even if your only receiver was an HD receiver, you still had to pay the $10, since there was no way to deactivate the HD channels and use it as an SD-only receiver instead.)

Later, with their advertised offers for new customers, there no longer was any HD fee at all, but you now had to pay a $6 fee for the first receiver. (That fee was gradually increased to $6.50, and then $7.) As someone with only one HD receiver, the new customer plan still would have been cheaper for me, by replacing the $10 fee with a lower fee. Unfortunately, there was no way that Directv could allow me to switch to that plan. My only option would have been to completely cancel my Directv service and start over again, which I did. Even then though, I had not been gone long enough to actually qualify as a new customer. So, they still charged me the higher fee, because the fees were still based on when I had originally signed up, as if I had never left.

Suffice it to say, when discussing Dish service in any way, having anyone say "Oh, that reminds me of what Directv does" is not a good thing. :(

I think I will try the email method. Senior Resolution isn't doing any good. Any one have some good email addresses? All the ones I have was before Charlie did some flip flopping CEO positions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)