222k and internal HDD

USMCGrunt0307

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I was wondering, because the 722k and 222k are pretty much the same reciever just sans harddrive on the 222k...how hard would it be to put an internal HDD in the 222k. Unfortunately ive discovered that there is no SATA connector for a HDD on the 222k but there IS however, a silk screen for where a SATA connector is soldered in. Would it be as simple as soldering in a connector to make this work or are there other pieces of hardware missing (not counting the HDD rack)?

Thanks guys.

I was wondering, because the 722k and 222k are pretty much the same reciever just sans harddrive on the 222k...how hard would it be to put an internal HDD in the 222k. Unfortunately ive discovered that there is no SATA connector for a HDD on the 222k but there IS however, a silk screen for where a SATA connector is soldered in. Would it be as simple as soldering in a connector to make this work or are there other pieces of hardware missing (not counting the HDD rack)?

Thanks guys.

Sorry, can't make a 222 a 722. Totally different software, among other things.

Sorry, can't make a 222 a 722. Totally different software, among other things.
Software cant be too much different if its able to handle DVR duties over a USB port. Who's to say during startup that if it recognizes a HDD connected to these pins it won't be able to use it...basically...has anyone tried it?

Software cant be too much different if its able to handle DVR duties over a USB port. Who's to say during startup that if it recognizes a HDD connected to these pins it won't be able to use it...basically...has anyone tried it?

You seem to forget (or don't know) where the software and it's updates come from. Don't think they (Dish) are going to send 722 software to a 222.;)

Im a long time installer so yes I do know where the updates come from...I also know that the updates aren't reciever targeted. E* (and as far as I know D* included) LNBs don't have any kind of transmit capabilities so its not like there is an authority check to make sure the reciever is getting the update its allowed to recieve. Its also a bought reciever so I can do with it as I please. I'm not hear to argue or start a debate, was just wondering if anybody had an answer to my question.

Just looking ive also seen at least 1 other silk screen labeled SATA so there are also other components missing. If anyone has a quality shot of the 722k PCB id appreciate it.

Yes, the 222 variants CAN do EHD now..

Sorry. The 211, 622, 722, and 922 have external HD capabilities for archiving. The 222 Does not and at this point probably never will. It was supposed to have been released by now but never was.

Yes the updates are receiver targeted by model number. Within the model number, E* can spool updates by zip or Receiver numbers. LNBs have nothing to do with updates.

S~

Im a long time installer so yes I do know where the updates come from...I also know that the updates aren't reciever targeted. E* (and as far as I know D* included) LNBs don't have any kind of transmit capabilities so its not like there is an authority check to make sure the reciever is getting the update its allowed to recieve. Its also a bought reciever so I can do with it as I please. I'm not hear to argue or start a debate, was just wondering if anybody had an answer to my question.

Just looking ive also seen at least 1 other silk screen labeled SATA so there are also other components missing. If anyone has a quality shot of the 722k PCB id appreciate it.

Yes, the 222 variants CAN do EHD now..

I saw a discussion several months ago about the 222/222k being activated to DVR with EHD and there was one post stating it was not practical because USB wasn't capable of handling the communication that would be needed to support the simultaneous reading and writing in a worse case scenario; that being trying to record 3 or 4 different programs while tying to watch a previously recorded event plus PIP.

Apparently the 211/211k is maxed out with just 2 tuners and no PIP. Unfortunately I did not bookmark the thread so I can tell you where it was/is.