$25 cancellation fee on Digital Service Plan

What will end up happening is that subscribers will start going to a different provider out of principal when they are told that they have to pay this fee.

Most rational people will conclude that the fee is better than having to up front 2-3 times the initial cost and buying their own. And if they did buy their own and it goes bad, they will be more than happy to pay the $50.00 to get it replaced. I know I would. Wouldn't you...or would you just door-stop it?

DHPP abuse was rampant and it had to stop.

No offense, but I would not call it "abuse" when Dish set the rules, and people played by the rules, and in fact were encouraged to do so by CSRs.

I had an issue with a remote, I called. The CSR suggested I add DHPP and a new remote would be shipped to me for I think $5. Then the CSR said I could cancel the DHPP at any time. How is that abuse? Maybe Dish was losing money on the DHPP (I suspect that was the case), but I don't think it is abuse when people are doing what is allowed under their own rules.

That being said, Dish was and is free to change the rules at any time, and they have done so to discourage this behavior.

Most rational people will conclude that the fee is better than having to up front 2-3 times the initial cost and buying their own. And if they did buy their own and it goes bad, they will be more than happy to pay the $50.00 to get it replaced. I know I would. Wouldn't you...or would you just door-stop it?

So if this keeps happening then you have to keep paying $6 per month and have to keep paying $15 for a technician to come to your house (if they are no longer allowing shipping to your house)? Some people have bad luck and end up having to have a receiver replaced multiple times because Dish Network does not test their refurbs well enough. Those people will not tolerate having to pay over and over due to Dish Network's hardware issue.

If i'm paying a lease fee on their equipment, i'm not going to pay them squat to fix it. They can either replace/fix it for free, or they can come pick up all of my equipment and lose me as a customer.

Now that they are charging the same fee for equipment I bought and own, I definitely ain't paying for squat unless its a special request of mine or the dish goes out of whack.

Since i'm not under contract with them I have no problem telling them to void out any fees or I walk. Their choice if they want to lose a customer over a $15 fee.

If i'm paying a lease fee on their equipment, i'm not going to pay them squat to fix it. They can either replace/fix it for free, or they can come pick up all of my equipment and lose me as a customer.

And then?

:up x100 - We actually see a higher percentage of customer caused issues on trouble calls. The problem is that the majority of the public abuses the system and it is everyone else who has to suffer.

Remember people..........you do not see the whole picture. DHPP abuse was rampant and it had to stop.

How was DHPP abused? Dishes made the policy, the CSRs followed it, and everyone was happy. Its too bad it didn't work out in Dishes favor, but sometimes you have to actually eat the cost instead of passing every single thing on to the customer.

Charging a monthly fee to insure THEIR equipment is just ridiculous. Can you imagine Hertz charging an extra $15 per day "in case" their car breaks down?

So why doesn't Dish do like the rest of these money hungry companies do and just roll these charges into the monthly fee. Instead they just have all these add-on fees so their monthly rates on their promotional site look low.

I pay for DHPP but only because I have two receivers I paid nearly $600 for out of my pocket on the account. I think $5/month is fair if they are willing to cover these. But when it comes to THEIR equipment..that should be on them.

And then I go to Direct. If I don't want Direct i'll go to FiOS. If I don't like them i'll go to Comcast.

Dish isn't the only provider in town.
Okay, seeya!

If you fight hard enough you should get taken care of... Not everything is supposed to be given out for free. The longer you've been with us (without switching) the better the chance you have of twisting Dish's arm to get what you want.

Its pretty sad some fan boys are so blind they just let Dish go at their back pockets without at least getting a reach around in return. I guess with those type of customers out there you don't have to worry about screwing them over.

Okay, seeya!

If you fight hard enough you should get taken care of... Not everything is supposed to be given out for free. The longer you've been with us (without switching) the better the chance you have of twisting Dish's arm to get what you want.

Nobody is asking for a handout. What one of the arguments is if you already are paying a lease fee for THEIR equipment, you should not be liable for when it malfunctions. What a great deal...the customer not only is locked into a contract with you, they are paying for the equipment, they are also responsible for its upkeep and when they leave you get the equipment back.

Also I shouldn't have to put up a fight to not have to get taken advantage of and pay ridiculous fees.

$25 to cancel a protection plan? Maybe 25 if you cancel then try to add it on again. Penalize the obvious abusers instead of us that just don't want it anymore.

Now I'm not trying to sound like a Dish hater. I've been with them a few years and have been happy with the service and programming they?e provided. But when a company starts nickel and diming good customers it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm sorry, but I still think it's RIDICULOUS that Dish charges the customers to fix THEIR equipment! I can see that I should pay if, for example, I dropped a receiver on the ground, or spilled a drink on it, but if a hard drive fails in a DVR from normal use, I just don't think that I should get charged to get that DVR fixed/replaced. It's been a while since I was with Comcast Cable, but I don't remember them ever charging me to replace a defective receiver....
TOTALLY agree!!!

The CSR should be shipping you a new receiver instead of sending a tech, saving you the $15. People abused the Service Plan and now everybody pays so deal with it. I pay the same as everyone else...

The CSR should be shipping you a new receiver instead of sending a tech, saving you the $15. People abused the Service Plan and now everybody pays so deal with it. I pay the same as everyone else...

According to a retailer I talked to, Dish was sending out too many replacements for receivers that had nothing wrong with them. Pilot error vs equipment failure. That's why they started sending out techs.

No offense, but I would not call it "abuse" when Dish set the rules, and people played by the rules, and in fact were encouraged to do so by CSRs.

I had an issue with a remote, I called. The CSR suggested I add DHPP and a new remote would be shipped to me for I think $5. Then the CSR said I could cancel the DHPP at any time. How is that abuse? Maybe Dish was losing money on the DHPP (I suspect that was the case), but I don't think it is abuse when people are doing what is allowed under their own rules.

That being said, Dish was and is free to change the rules at any time, and they have done so to discourage this behavior.

You are correct. I should have been a little clearer in my statement. The abuse was both consumer and Dish CSR. Believe it or not the people in the ivory towers were unaware of how bad it was being abused until recently.

According to a retailer I talked to, Dish was sending out too many replacements for receivers that had nothing wrong with them. Pilot error vs equipment failure. That's why they started sending out techs.

Bingo !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts