$299 Dish "upgrade fee"?

Troglodad

Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
So in February I decided to upgrade to HD. I paid the $100 fee over the phone, with my Visa. Today, I was checking my account to see if there was any announcement from Dish about the Tivo lawsuit. Instead, I see that while I overpaid last month's bill by $6, I owe $195!!! That's $110 more than my regular monthly rate!

So I check my billing details out and find that there's a $299 "Upgrade Fee"!!!

I already paid all the upgrade fees and all my regular monthly fee. What the heck is this? Are we goign to get charged for Scifi and USA? For the new software? Is this a billing glitch? Does anyone else have this surprise fee?

I also upgraded to HD last month. I had the $299 fee. I paid the $50 for the install of the 622 (then asked the installers if they happened to have a 722 -- they did! Gave it to me.) When I checked my bill, I had the $50 payment, then I had a $249 credit. My bill was $205, but that was for March and April service.

while my situation is a little different than yours, something similar happened to me. i moved and had the "free" dishmover thing done. as part of my move i had an additional receiver added and i was at my limit of 4 tuners (one 622 dual tuner dvr, one 211 and one SD 301 or 311). so, first off the foreign idiot that took my move order screwed it up, which was to be expected because i had to explain to him like 5 different times what i wanted and he still didn't get it. anyway, the tech shows up with one set of instructions and of course they're wrong so i have to talk to someone at dish while he's there and we reach an agreement that i will purchase a new receiver since dish won't lease you any more than 4 tuners. i gave them my credit card over the phone thinking $149 was all i would be charged because the move was supposed to be free. so i get my bill and it's like $400+ and i'm FURIOUS. i called once and bitched a couple of people out and explained that i was told the move was free and that if extra work/materials were required to do the job i should have been asked for authorization to do it, which of course i would have said HELL NO. anyway, the first rep (foreign) says the charges are valid and i said they absolutely are not and finally get connected to her supervisor (also foreign). she agrees to credit me back the extra charges, one of which was the mysterious $299 "upgrade fee" you mentioned. i already had HD though so i don't know if it was exactly the same thing or not. anyway when my autopay gets taken out later that month, of course none of the charges had been reversed so i was even more irate than the first time. this time when i called back i get immediately transferred to someone in the USA (thankfully) who credits everything back. so, if you call and raise enough hell you'll get your money back, especially if they didn't say anything about the charges upfront. i don't see how they can justify it when they tell you one thing and bill you for another. you might have to call a few times and listen to some horribly broken english to do it, but they will eventually give it back. you might try being nicer than i was though. i was a complete irate ass and it took a while to get my way.

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts