2nd Dish at 61.5 Worth it???

rangersjay99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Baltimore, MD
In order to pickup CBS-HD I need the add a second dish to 61.5. I presently have a Superdish with an 811. Is there anything else on the satellite to make it worth putting up a second dish?

Thanks all...

Jay

Public Interest Channels at 61.5° and 148° Channel
Channel Name

9405 Health TV
9406 Classic Arts Showcase
9413 Educating Everyone
9414 FamilyNet
9416 Good Samaritan Network
9418 Panhandle Area Educational Consortium

580 which is the int'l promo channel

Ranger, If I can get WJZ here in Mont County with an attic antenna, then you likely get it no problem in Baltimore. I'd say that the 61.5 is not worth it (besides, you'd need a $199 DPP44 switch too).

WJZ is no problem, just gonna have to get an attic antenna. The "silver sensor" just doesn't cut it, have to play with it too much to get a good signal for ABC/NBC/CBS. I'm in Howard County and can pick up the DC channels if I play around with the antenna a bit. Maybe with a full size I will get them all all the time!! Hmmmm.

Thanks for the input everyone.

rangersjay
Are you sure you qualify for CBS-HD?

If Baltimore is O&O, I dont think Washington CBS is, so you would need a awaiver unless you are outside the grade b area of it

Cyclone said:
Ranger, If I can get WJZ here in Mont County with an attic antenna, then you likely get it no problem in Baltimore. I'd say that the 61.5 is not worth it (besides, you'd need a $199 DPP44 switch too).

For locals, because he has a waiver, they have to provide the dish and switch for free.

If I was him, i'd do it. Solely for the reason that since Dish is being forced to move their locals to one dish, who knows what programming may be forced to move to the wing slot.

I already have the locals off the Superdish, I am just trying to get the CBS-HD feed. I would definitely go for it if it were free, but they said I would have to pay for the dish and install (plus the $199 DP44 that they don't sell).
The dishes would be pretty well hidden on the backside of the roof anyway.

GregN said:
Looks like they are testing TP16? Hope its HD-NBC? Anyone know why they are turning it up?

Conus J Hotsenpiller

http://www.lyngsat.com/echo3.html

there was some testing done there with 12 channels and were able to be seen with a Free to Air (MPEG) receiver. Those disappeared the other day.
If it was in the stream, it would show up there

I cant see them putting LIL since because of the two dish issue......

So international or HD but its a good sign that they are ticking the TP.

GregN said:
I cant see them putting LIL since because of the two dish issue......

They can put locals on the wing. The 2 dish rule is you can't split up locals to 2 dishes (ala NY, Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston, etc)

You can have all your locals on a wing (ala Amarillo, Cheyenne) and they arent breaking the law

Correct.... but they have not done that yet and they are using the superdish for new local in local.

It would make sence to have the east and west HD feeds from the wing slots.

The following area locals are completelly on a wing (all on 148)

Grand Junction, CO
Medford, OR
Amarillo, TX
Idaho Falls, ID
Cheyenne, WY
Lubbock, TX

So Dish is doing it right now.

Ranger is in the Baltimore DMA. DISH won't give him a 61.5 dish, DPP44, and installation so that he can get the DC's minor locals which he can not subscribe to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)