2nd tv with 721

mmdieter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
central OR
I usually watch my big tv with my 811, could i also hook up a 721 to my big screen so i could use the dvr functions and pip, but then also wire the 721 to a second tv in a different room? if so how do i do this? I hardley watch the second tv, so i wouldn't mind the few times that i couldn't use the 721 on the big tv.

The 721 has 3 sets of outputs (2 RCA's and 1 coax). All 3 outputs put out the same thing though, so you'll get the same picture on each of them. The easiest is to hook your main tv by one of the RCA connections, and run a coax to the other room to hook up the secondary tv. With the 721's uhf remote you can control the 721 from anywhere in the house.

mmdieter said:
thanks! so when hooking the 721 to the 70" can i use a component cables (i can't remember what rca hook up is?)
Nope... the highest quality out of the 721 is the Svideo.

Composite is the RCA that ppl refer to. its the red white and yellow

Component is the Red Green and Blue cables.

mmdieter - I use the 721 S-video out to the HDTV, and RCA out to the PJ, both in the LR HT, and the RF (coax) out to a whole house splitter to the rest of the TV's/PC's in the house.

I use the 811's DVI out to the HDTV, and Component out to the HD Front PJ. The 811 is exclusively for the LR HT.

So, yes, you can do it.

Yes. You would only need one line for the 510. But, it only has one tuner, which is severely limiting. It also has a $5/mo "Video On Demand" fee. If you're gonna go the single-tuner route, try and buy a 508, if possible. No extra fee. But, for like $50 more, you can get the 721.
If you're looking for a discount upgrade from Dish directly, the only thing they offer is a 510.

yea, my thoughts were that i would have to change to a quad and do some wiring and i don't know how to do that, so i could have dish give me the free ($50 ship/install) add on, and have them wire it, then either use that until the 942 comes out, or give it back in a few months and order the 721-that way i wouldn't have to figure out how to do the wiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts