3 LNB vs 2 LNB

donkim

Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
Cleveland
New member and had a couple of questions. We've had Dish at our home for a couple of years and a 2 LNB is in the yard. We recently purchased a camper that has the Travler open face dish on the roof. It has 3 LNB's. Since we would like to move the Hopper 3 from the house to the RV it seems that it would be simpler to not have to do the check switch if I swapped out the house dish to a 3 LNB. Is there any reason why I would not want to swap it out?
Also have a problem with the OTA adapter on the Hopper 3 when the local TV reception either pixelates or gets lost completely, the Hopper 3 proceeds to reboot. (I struggle to get decent OTA reception despite trying a few different type of antennas) It has occurred w/2 different OTA adapters. I assume this is a bug or possibly a bad Hopper?
Thx, Don

I'm afraid I have no idea why your H3 reboots with poor OTA reception. Bad dongle?
We've had Dish at our home for a couple of years and a 2 LNB is in the yard. We recently purchased a camper that has the Travler open face dish on the roof. It has 3 LNB's. Since we would like to move the Hopper 3 from the house to the RV it seems that it would be simpler to not have to do the check switch if I swapped out the house dish to a 3 LNB. Is there any reason why I would not want to swap it out?
Both arcs used to have 3 LNBs. But Dish removed all US programming from 77, so now eastern arc uses only 2. Is that the LNB you have on your roof? Does the Travler have a 3-LNB hybrid LNB? If so, then I would guess it's for western arc which may or may not have your locals.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The two LNB dish at your house is using the Dish eastern arc satellites located at 61.5 and 72.7 degrees. The three LNB dish on your RV is set up to use the Dish western arc satellites located at 110, 119, and 129 degrees. Whether your home dish can be repointed to use the same three satellite LNB as your RV depends on the available line of sight and also which satellites carry your locals in HD rather than SD. They could also only be carried one arc. As it is, you will have to run the switch test when you move your receiver from one dish to the other.

Someone else will have to comment on your OTA/Hopper 3 issue since I'm using the older Hopper w/Sling.

On edit, I should have mentioned that your RV dish may need either a DPH42 switch added or an LNB swap in order to work properly with your Hopper 3.

Original poster replying;
Is there a link that lists what sat the Cleveland locals are on?

I successfully used the Hopper 3 in the RV on our last trip out. Worked great, so just trying to simplify the move process between house & RV by not having to do the check switch.

Which arc is higher in the sky, western or eastern?

I tried 2 different OTA dongles and the Hopper still reboots intermittently when the OTA signal is lost.

Thx, Don

That's good that your RV dish is already set up for your Hopper 3. The Cleveland locals happen to be on both arcs in HD, so that's not an issue for you. The locals satellite assignments can be found here: Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

If you have line of sight for the western arc satellites at your home, that would solve your problem with moving the H3. I switch our manually aimed portable dish between the two arcs fairly often anyway as we move from park to park to get the best view through trees, etc, so running the switch test really doesn't bother me at all.

From the Cleveland area, the eastern arc aiming elevation is ~41 degrees and the western arc aiming elevation is ~29 degrees.

Reactions: TheKrell
Loading one of several augmented reality satellite aiming apps on your phone would help in figuring out if you have a clear line of sight for the western arc sats. I prefer the free "TV Signal Finder" app from Winegard:

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts