301 vs. 501 vs. 522

Tom_T.

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
For the past 4 years, our lone 301 has served us just fine. Well, almost. My wife is the main watcher; I'm a distant second. And, whenever there's a conflict over viewing choice, she wins.

About a month ago, I toyed with adding a second receiver, so I started the eBay search to see what is out there, plus I began some self-education by doing a lot of searching and reading of this forum.

First I considered simply adding another 301, but the DVR feature and dual tuners in higher end receivers is appealing, so I zeroed in on the 625 until I called DishNet and was told by 3 different CSRs it wouldn't be activated because etc. etc. (I learned here if you don't get the answer you expect from a Dish CSR, call back later for another opinion. That didn't help this time.)

So I dropped the 625 idea and switched to considering purchasing a 522, but the numerous and unfixed reported software & hardware bugs reported here are troublesome. Now, I realize in any forum like this, the complaint & problem posts are way out of proportion to the happy & satisfied posts. So, my question is -- is the 522 to be avoided completely, or, is it basically a good machine but just don't expect it to work properly most of the time?

Also in consideration is the 501. There seem to be far far fewer complaints posted here about the 501 than the 522. Is that because it comes closer to doing exactly what it's advertised to do? Or, have those who use the 501 learned to live with the bugs, and just don't complain much any more?

Tell me if this is flawed thinking: If I get a 522, and it dies, we're without service until it's fixed or replaced. If I get a 501 + continue using the 301, if either dies, we would still have at least one receiver. So, I'm kinda leaning towards a 301/501 combo, altho, for only about $30 more, I could get a 522 with all those additional features ...................

The 625 is almost identical to the 522 software-wise.

The 501/508/510 is very stable. There's still one bug I run into .... what is it again ... oh yeah ... occasionally when using the guide to select a program to record, it will pick the prior one on that channel. I think it only happens if I was scrolling left before I selected. Whatever, that's the biggest bug I remember. :)

I just got a 508 off of ebay and love it, it has a larger harddrive then the 501. Really haven't ran into any problems with it. I know Dish is 'suppose' to upgrade the software on the 5xx series for NBR. If that ever happens, I hope I still have a trouble free receiver

Best part about the 501 and 508's, no DVR fees :)

i have had both a 510, and currently a 522, and i would recommend the 522.
my 510 was a very solid receiver that i never had any problems with, but i haven't really had any problems with my 522 either except for the occasional audio/video sync issues...
but the added features, like being able to record two programs, do PIP, name based recording, ect... at least to me make up for the few minutes every few weeks that i have to stop a show that i've recorded, and restart it to make the audio match the video.
just my opinion...

301 vs. 501 vs. 508 vs. 522

Thanks for those comments. I like the idea of having a single box (522) doing all the work of dual receiving, recording, and distributing. And, I would expect the more features any piece of equipment has, the more possibilities there are for things to go wrong.

I apologize for being dense, because I've read the Q&A's posted here about fees, but it's still a bit fuzzy to me. Altho a 522 has two tuners, it's considered a single receiver, so there's not the $5 extra receiver fee. Then, if the 522 is hooked up to a phone line, there's not an extra $5 dvr fee? In other words, replacing my current 301 with a 522 would not increase the monthly bill (?).

If I buy a 501 or 508, and keep my 301 active, there would be no dvr fee for either 50x, but there would be a 2nd receiver fee of $5? Is that right?

I still like the idea of having two separate receivers in case one dies, but if I can save $60 a year with a 522, that seems like the way to go.

The 522 will carry a $5 fee if it's not the primary receiver.

It will carry a $5 DVR fee unless you've got the top-end package.

It will also carry a $5 fee for the second tuner unless it's hooked to a phone line.

So, if I read you right, you've got a single 301 right now. Replacing it with a 522 will raise your bill $0 to $10 depending on the above (package & phone).

Adding a 50x is as you say - plus $5/month.

Superbly stated, Simon! We have the Top 180 package, or whatever it's called now, not the Everything package; connecting to the phone line is no problem.

So, in this case, 301+50x, or, replacing the 301 with a 522 .... either option = $5 more a month.

Thanks for making it crystal clear. :bow

Tom_T. said:
Thanks for those comments. I like the idea of having a single box (522) doing all the work of dual receiving, recording, and distributing. And, I would expect the more features any piece of equipment has, the more possibilities there are for things to go wrong.

I apologize for being dense, because I've read the Q&A's posted here about fees, but it's still a bit fuzzy to me. Altho a 522 has two tuners, it's considered a single receiver, so there's not the $5 extra receiver fee. Then, if the 522 is hooked up to a phone line, there's not an extra $5 dvr fee? In other words, replacing my current 301 with a 522 would not increase the monthly bill (?).

If I buy a 501 or 508, and keep my 301 active, there would be no dvr fee for either 50x, but there would be a 2nd receiver fee of $5? Is that right?

I still like the idea of having two separate receivers in case one dies, but if I can save $60 a year with a 522, that seems like the way to go.

personally i would go with the 522, you will be looking at the same amount monthly, have more recording space then on a early 5xx model, be able to record in both room, and then you can just set the 301 in the closet in case you ever do need to hook it back up again.

The winner is .......... a 522

Thanks again everyone for your input.

After 4 years of using a single 301, just adding a 2nd 301 would have been a big leap forward. But, for about the going price of a 501, I was able to pick up a 522. (Yes, no balance due & accnt. closed, and it works okay. :yes ). Seemed like a no-brainer to get it.

Now I'll get to experience for myself the various bugs :eek: and discrepancies I've been reading about here for the past several weeks.

I imagine I'll be back here soon. :what

Hooking up coax & other cables is the simple part. What I'm refering to is the joy of experiencing first-hand the minor & major annoyances such as those documented in the '522 comprehensive bug list' posted here a couple weeks ago. Apparently most or all of these have been reported to the ceo previously and probably repeatedly, but haven't been resolved yet.

But hey, I'm not complaining. No one forced me to buy a 522. Well, maybe a little arm twisting. I was handed a deal I couldn't refuse ... 'cuz I was really leaning toward a 508 which seem to have far fewer complaints ... but that's old news.

:clap I'm excited about my new toy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts