3rd party refurbished VIP722K replacement?

Braddock

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
California
I was wondering if I replace my dead VIP722K with an eBay refurbished unit, can it be authorized on my DISH account? I do not want to upgrade. Would I take my smart card out of my unit and put it in the new unit or will the smart card in the refurbished unit work? I've received conflicting information on this. Will there come a time when DISH will no longer replace my VIP722K unit and force me to upgrade? They've already told me that the VIP722K is obsolete. Thanks for any information.

Reactions: RonaldoAntena
I was wondering if I replace my dead VIP722K with an eBay refurbished unit, can it be authorized on my DISH account? I do not want to upgrade. Would I take my smart card out of my unit and put it in the new unit or will the smart card in the refurbished unit work? I've received conflicting information on this. Will there come a time when DISH will no longer replace my VIP722K unit and force me to upgrade? They've already told me that the VIP722K is obsolete. Thanks for any information.

Yes, you can swap it for a eBay unit, you'd just need to call and give them the receiver and smart card numbers.

However, if you push Dish they will send you a replacement for $15. You might have to play CSR roulette.

Do not swap smart cards! They are married to each individual receiver. And do check with Dish before you buy a leased (i.e. stolen) receiver. Dish won't activate that under any circumstances, unless you want to pay off the balance.
Actually, I think that Dish will not move a leased receiver to another account under any circumstances, period. A purchased receiver with an outstanding balance on the previous account would need to have that balance paid off before the receiver could be reactivated on any account.

Exactly what died on your old ViP722k? Will it not power up at all, or is it only the internal hard drive that died?

The only time the refurbished unit would need a new smart card is if it is old enough to still have the purple G3 smart card in it. If you subscribe to Flex Pack or any of the Channel Packs, then the older smart card would not work with your package. Even in that case, though, Dish would send you a brand-new smart card, since the card from your old receiver cannot be moved to any other receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts