40.0 Remote for Hopper 3, suddenly very erratic and non responsive

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
In the last hour, my 40 remote for my Hopper 3 has become very non-responsive. Batteries are fresh, remote works fine with the audio receiver next to the H3. But if, for example, I press the DVR button, nothing happens. I have to press it several times before it "takes." Same for guide button, channel buttons, menu buttons, etc.

Again - works just fine with my audio receiver. And it was working fine earlier this morning.

Ideas? Very frustrating and makes watch Dish pretty unusuable.

Perhaps a front panel reset or power cord pull would be in order for the H3 to see if that gets it back in line?

I'll try a power plug pull......

Nope. It takes several presses of the button before it is recognized. Once it is, the response is quick, e.g. the DVR screen comes up quickly. But it takes several pushes of the buttons, whether it is guide, live TV, DVR, menu, right and left navigation, etc, before they are recognized. Worked just fine this morning....

In the last hour, my 40 remote for my Hopper 3 has become very non-responsive. Batteries are fresh, remote works fine with the audio receiver next to the H3. But if, for example, I press the DVR button, nothing happens. I have to press it several times before it "takes." Same for guide button, channel buttons, menu buttons, etc.

Again - works just fine with my audio receiver. And it was working fine earlier this morning.

Ideas? Very frustrating and makes watch Dish pretty unusuable.
Try unpairing & then pair again.

Reactions: DWS44
Well, I wish I could relate what fixed it, to help others, but after not being able to pair it back with the H3 after unpairing, suddenly it paired back up and seems to be working fine.

(testing again before hitting "post"..... yup.)

Well, I wish I could relate what fixed it, to help others, but after not being able to pair it back with the H3 after unpairing, suddenly it paired back up and seems to be working fine.

(testing again before hitting "post"..... yup.)
I had a 52.0 remote do that one time. It paired back up to my H3 later on when it felt like it. :coco

Reactions: JSheridan
I've seen plenty of times where battery replacement doesn't fix a problem and it almost always turns out to be oxidation on one of the battery contacts in the remote. I keep a small bottle of baking soda and water to clean the contact with a q-tip soaked in the soda water mixture and, voila, problem solved.

Yeah, thanks everyone; it wasn't batteries, I wish it was because then I would have know what fixed it. It just resolved on it's own, which means I have no idea when/if it will stop working again. But for now, seems OK.

I've seen plenty of times where battery replacement doesn't fix a problem and it almost always turns out to be oxidation on one of the battery contacts in the remote. I keep a small bottle of baking soda and water to clean the contact with a q-tip soaked in the soda water mixture and, voila, problem solved.

Is there a difference in the results between using baking soda + water, coca cola and a actual contact cleaner/enhancer like Caig DeOxit D5?

Reactions: pattykay
Besides that, doesn't some do a better cleaning than others?
If you already have the Caig stuff, it would be prudent to use it instead of my simple cure. If you are in no hurry to get your remote (or whatever) going again, then sure, buy it. Sounds like it is close to a miracle product due to all the raves.

Last edited:
If you already have the Caig stuff, it would be prudent to use it instead of my simple cure. If you are in no hurry to get your remote (or whatever) going again, then sure, buy it. Sounds like it is close to a miracle product due to all the raves.
Yes, I had the Caig stuff for like the last 20 years but the thing is I noticed is that it doesn't make the connector look any different than before cleaning as whatever residue or layer is there still remains. Kontak on the other hand seems to be different as it basically removes whatever is on top of the metal and then make it shine line new again similar to metal polish used on metal so basically it looks new again. Someone claimed Kontak has ammonia in it so not sure if that is the reason. I know Caig did work when I moved to my new house and my desktop PC didn't even POST so I basically used it on the memory and it made the system work again. I always thought people used Isopropanol/Rubbing Alcohol 70% or higher and only heard about the Baking soda and the Coca Cola methods on forums the last few days.

Reactions: pattykay
Yes, I had the Caig stuff for like the last 20 years but the thing is I noticed is that it doesn't make the connector look any different than before cleaning as whatever residue or layer is there still remains. Kontak on the other hand seems to be different as it basically removes whatever is on top of the metal and then make it shine line new again similar to metal polish used on metal so basically it looks new again. Someone claimed Kontak has ammonia in it so not sure if that is the reason. I know Caig did work when I moved to my new house and my desktop PC didn't even POST so I basically used it on the memory and it made the system work again. I always thought people used Isopropanol/Rubbing Alcohol 70% or higher and only heard about the Baking soda and the Coca Cola methods on forums the last few days.
Rubbing Alcohol worked on my 40.0 remote the last time my cat barfed on it, causing it to have the same problem as the OP. I also took the batteries out of the remote and left the remote laying upside-down on the dashboard of a hot car in the summer, to make sure that it was completely dry before I tried to use that remote again. The remote worked fine and never had any more problems after I did that.

I use the baking soda to neutralize the acid that leaks out of most batteries when they fail. Then just make sure
the contact is clean and dry. Shiny is also nice to see if the connector isn't too corroded.
I have a lot of X10 stuff in my house and a lot of remotes for that system. Seems that the one battery end that gets corroded inside a remote is always the hardest one to get to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)