5.1 Audio Issue with the VIP211

richiephx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I have a VIP211 receiver and the audio is connected to my Yamaha receiver using an optical cable. Ever since the software upgrade from 268 to 340/41, all the 5.1 audio on all E* HD channels (including my OTA locals) keeps cutting in and out. The audio on SD is fine. The worst channel is STARZHD, channel 9435. I am watching Chronicles of Narnia and it's unwatchable. I called E* tech support and they said that there is a known software issue with the audio and that they are working on it. Their usual solution to everything is to reset the receiver. That does not solve anything. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

richiephx said:
I have a VIP211 receiver and the audio is connected to my Yamaha receiver using an optical cable. Ever since the software upgrade from 268 to 340/41, all the 5.1 audio on all E* HD channels (including my OTA locals) keeps cutting in and out. The audio on SD is fine. The worst channel is STARZHD, channel 9435. I am watching Chronicles of Narnia and it's unwatchable. I called E* tech support and they said that there is a known software issue with the audio and that they are working on it. Their usual solution to everything is to reset the receiver. That does not solve anything. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

For now go in the Dolby menu and change it to "PCM only" and see if that helps, atleast see if you have choppy audio or not.
If that helps then probably you can leave the setting till it gets fixed. Keep checking after every software update.:)

Also, if you haven't done so already, double-check the optical cables. If they're not pushed all the way in past the last click you can get dodgy results. The light intensity through the connector goes down until it becomes borderline, making the signal come and go. I had this happen once when one of our kittens got behind the equipment and played with the cables.

richiephx said:
I have a VIP 211 hooked to my Yamaha receiver via optical and have not been experiencing any problems. I know I have had the software upgrade to 3.41 for at least a week.

I just got my 211 hooked up 2 days ago and have the same set-up as you. Also with a Yamaha receiver and optical audio. I'm having the exact same problem on all the channels you've indicated. FYI: I am currently on 3.41. Today trying to watch football on CBS via OTA, audio-wise, it was totally unwatchable. And that was a shame since our local CBS here is true HD.
Are you still having the same issue?

Ken

Still having 5.1 audio issues with the VIP211. Tonite, the 5.1 audio on StarzHD, channel 9435 was constantly cutting in and out during the movie "The greatest game ever played", followed by "chronicles of Narnia"...I changed to HBOhd, channel 9456 and the 5.1 audio was fine. Is anyone one else having this problem?...is it a Starz problem? Is it a software issue? Is it a hardware issue with the optical out like the HDMI out issue?

Still having 5.1 audio issues with the VIP211. Tonite, the 5.1 audio on StarzHD, channel 9435 was constantly cutting in and out during the movie "The greatest game ever played", followed by "chronicles of Narnia"...I changed to HBOhd, channel 9456 and the 5.1 audio was fine. Is anyone one else having this problem?...is it a Starz problem? Is it a software issue? Is it a hardware issue with the optical out like the HDMI out issue?

I have since learned this is a known issue by Dish Engineering, although they have not said if it was a software issue or firmware. Just that they are working on it. I too am having the same problems & mostly on HD broadcasts which have 5.1 DD audio.

Ken

Last edited:
And the problem continues....Is anyone else still having issues with 5.1 audio with the VIP211. The problem isn't as bad but I am still experiencing a stutter on all channels with 5.1 audio. It is more noticeable in the newest MPEG4 HD channels (I get mine off of 129, btw). ESP2HD is the worst. I have replaced my optical cables, changed inputs on my receiver and the problem follows. I am not having this problem with any other equipment with an optical connection to my Yamaha receiver, only the 211. E* has replaced my 211 receiver and the problem continues. I'm convinced it's not me or a problem on my end; however, E* Tech support is unaware of any audio problems and they keep generating an engineer's report each time I call. Am I imagining this or just being too picky?

Same here.....

And the problem continues....Is anyone else still having issues with 5.1 audio with the VIP211. The problem isn't as bad but I am still experiencing a stutter on all channels with 5.1 audio. It is more noticeable in the newest MPEG4 HD channels (I get mine off of 129, btw). ESP2HD is the worst. I have replaced my optical cables, changed inputs on my receiver and the problem follows. I am not having this problem with any other equipment with an optical connection to my Yamaha receiver, only the 211. E* has replaced my 211 receiver and the problem continues. I'm convinced it's not me or a problem on my end; however, E* Tech support is unaware of any audio problems and they keep generating an engineer's report each time I call. Am I imagining this or just being too picky?

You're not alone! I too am still having the same problem. I also have a Yamaha processor and using optical cable from the 211 to the Yamaha. I've given up on asking Dish because it's always the same answer. They'll either say it's a known issue or I'll get someone who knows nothing about it. The problem only exists for me on channels with 5.1 just like you. This has been ongoing since I got the 211.

Ken

I have same setup except I have an onkyo, receiver's current software is L345 on , VIP211. I tested with ESPN, ESPN 2, HBO and Cinemax HD channels. My sound is ok.

I also have the problem. I have a new 211 (fixed the HDMI issue) but the sound problem is still there. I have an Onkyo receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)