5.1 vs 7.1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Southwest Michigan
I am upgrading my current 2.1 audio system to 5.1 surround sound. Besides two more speakers, what are the advantages of having 7.1 surround sound vs 5.1?

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

More immersive, being front, back and sides. I like it. But I must admit, true 7.1 is rare.

I have to admit, when I upgraded I got more value out of a high quality center and subwoofer.

navychop said:
More immersive, being front, back and sides. I like it. But I must admit, true 7.1 is rare.

I have to admit, when I upgraded I got more value out of a high quality center and subwoofer.

Do you think it is worth the extra $?

It depends on a lot of factors. One big one is the size of the room. If you are putting the system into anything smaller that 15x25 and only have 1 row of seats, you are not going to get a lot out of 7.1. As Navy mentioned, true 7.1 material is very rare, so most of the time the extra speakers are filling in sound for the 5.1 channels, and in a smaller space, it just doesn't add much.

Buy better 5.1 speakers and plan 7.1 as an eventual add-on. You will get a better overall sound now.

Well I would have to get a new stereo for 7.1 anyway. So I guess I will just go with 5.1. I will take a measurement of the room in a little bit.

It depends on a lot of factors. One big one is the size of the room. If you are putting the system into anything smaller than 15x25 and only have 1 row of seats, you are not going to get a lot out of 7.1. As Navy mentioned, true 7.1 material is very rare, so most of the time the extra speakers are filling in sound for the 5.1 channels, and in a smaller space, it just doesn't add much.

Buy better 5.1 speakers and plan 7.1 as an eventual add-on. You will get a better overall sound now.

Both of you are absolutely right. The only thing I would add is to match the new speakers sonically to the old ones. IOW, buy the same brand and from the same line if possible.

Most improtant speakers to match are the fronts (L,C, and R). Not as important in the rears as 97% of audio comes through the fronts.

S~

Is there really that much of a difference if they are different brands? My L,R, and surrounds are Bose and my center is an Infinity.

Yes.

It is pretty obvious to me because the tone, balance and levels are not the same. Even if I adjust the levels, I hear the differences. Really apparent when sound pans across the screen, but even noticable on ambience.

I replaced speakers on my family room unit this weekend, and at first only replaced the mains. I had to dig the center out of storage. The ball game was on and I only lasted about 15 minutes before I gave up and retrieved the matching center. Granted, this was a rather extreme case where I was replacing Denon HTIB speakers with some full size Klipsch's.

I think it will be fine once I adjust some settings on the stereo. I'm just not too willing right now to spend the $ to upgrade the stereo and replace all of the speakers.

Do you think it is worth the extra $?

For me, it was worth it. I had the money at the time, and I knew I'd regret it if I didn't. Then when I'd later try to add two more speakers, I'd never match the others.

But jayn_j is right.

Will you one day be upgrading the receiver for 3D? Then it might be a consideration.

I think the rear and sides should match each other.

Bose only matches Bose, and frankly they are not highly regarded. So go with good quality speakers, all at once (5.1) and worry about the receiver later.

Mine are Klipsch also.

For me, it was worth it. I had the money at the time, and I knew I'd regret it if I didn't. Then when I'd later try to add two more speakers, I'd never match the others.

But jayn_j is right.

Will you one day be upgrading the receiver for 3D? Then it might be a consideration.

I think the rear and sides should match each other.

Bose only matches Bose, and frankly they are not highly regarded. So go with good quality speakers, all at once (5.1) and worry about the receiver later.

Mine are Klipsch also.

I'm going to get an Infinity Primus 5.1 system. So they are all the same brand. I'll probably upgrade the receiver someday. To replace the entry level Onkyo I have now.

Sounds like a plan.

Were you able to audition any speakers? The last place I know of around here, where I bought mine, is, sadly, no more. Real AV shops, with real auditioning rooms, are going the way of the dodo. I guess an enclosed corner in BB will be all we'll have.

Sounds like a plan.

Were you able to audition any speakers? The last place I know of around here, where I bought mine, is, sadly, no more. Real AV shops, with real auditioning rooms, are going the way of the dodo. I guess an enclosed corner in BB will be all we'll have.

If that.....

how unfortunate for all....

Sounds like a plan.

Your BB has an ENCLOSED speaker room?:eek:

The ones around here put the speakers out on the floor. Worse, they are down to about 6 models these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)