5 cents to 9 cents ????

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Lifetime vs Dish News Story:

Bloomberg said:
The contract they sent over called for a 76% price increase," EchoStar spokesman Mark Cicero said.

Lifetime spokesman Gary Morgenstein disputed Cicero's comment, saying the new contract called for 4 cents more per customer than a previous agreement that expired Dec. 31.

The only way that these 2 numbers could be close to correct would be if the old price was 5 cents per customer and they wanted a 4 cent increase to 9 cents per customer.

It would actually be an 80% increase - which might be why Lifetime is disputing it the accuracy.

Of course, it could also be fraction of cents as well to make both numbers exactly correct.

But it could not be over 1 cent difference.

OLD- NEW+.04 - Percent
.01 .05 400%
.02 .06 200%
.03 .07 133%
.04 .08 100%
.05 .09 80%
.06 .10 66%
.07 .11 57%

Last edited:
I'm expecting something similar to this to be the case. Charlie deliberately deceived viewers with his diagram "for analysis" showing an increase of $1.00 to $1.76...clearly meant to slant the situation in his favor in the eyes of his customers.

4 cents seems like a reasonable request considering Lifetime's ratings...plus that my bill is going up $3.00 next month.

Yeah, but 0.04 x 12 million subs = 480k a month, or $5,760,000 a year

Im sorry, but I dont want E* paying $6 million a year for a channel that besides I dont watch, the current outspoken followers are womens groups saying that men hate them etc for taking away there channel (theres WE as well!)

Its rediculous(sp?) how LIFETIME trys to play the SEX card in all of this, it wont work!

Even if I only pay 0.04x 12 = $.48 a year, Its the priciple! I hate hate hate people trying to use one cause for another!

But that is just me!

Last edited:
CJPC said:
Im sorry, but I dont want E* paying $6 million a year for a channel that besides I dont watch, the current outspoken followers are womens groups saying that men hate them etc for taking away there channel (theres WE as well!)
Its rediculous(sp?) how LIFETIME trys to play the SEX card in all of this, it wont work!
Even if I only pay 0.04x 12 = $.48 a year, Its the priciple! I hate hate hate people trying to use one cause for another!
But that is just me!
Terrific logic...how 'bout playing those numbers with the $3.00 increase across the board...

$3.00X12mil subs=36 million/month or 432,000,000 a year. Add to that the increase in PVR fees and it makes the 5.7 million seem cheap. Then to say that they're adding WE and ENC Love as a "free view" !

Ok, never said that the E* increase was any good, no intentions of anything in that regard!

Im sure Charlie has good reasons for the $$ increase (like being a businessman, and wanting more $$) Though as we all know, $$ goes UP, for everything ,cost of living, wages, insurance, bills, you name it..

However the new Increase really wont affect me as much, as Im AEP , so DVR's are free, and w/ the new HD pack, ill be saving $6 or so, so it balances out. Not saying thats for everyone, but I was specifically talking about lifetime!

I guess 'ala carte' is the next evolution. (A long time coming)

That would put me at about 25 channels. Mostly HD, DIY and HGTV along with locals and a few Starz©.

I wouldn't miss Lifetime or LMN along with the 20 or so shopping channels. I'd even give up the 'clock channel'. ;)

If Charlie throws down Oxygen in place of Lifetime, there isn't compelling content that I can recall from my D* days except on Sunday nights. :shocked

I figure they will all kiss and make up somewhere about the 6.5¢ mark because Charlie is getting truckloads of hate mail daily from the Bea Arthur fan club.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Lifetime vs Dish News Story:
The only way that these 2 numbers could be close to correct would be if the old price was 5 cents per customer and they wanted a 4 cent increase to 9 cents per customer.
The whole premise of this thread/post is false. Dish nor Lifetime ever said that 4 cents was the 76% increase...

DISH said:
Lifetime Television’s final demand prior to our loss of the network called for a 76% rate increase under the contract term.
Lifetimetv.com said:
we sought a very modest increase of 4 cents per month per customer, with further increases — still totaling far less than 76% — spread over several years.

4 Cents was only the first of several increases over a 3 year contract.
DISH claim total increase of 76% over the 3 year contract.
LifeTime claims 4 cents + several other further increases is still less than 76%.
4 cents is the only real number announced...This is the increase that would take place on day 1 of the new contracts with more increases scheduled to come later.
So, there is no possible way we can be talking about numbers as low as 5 cents to 9 cents... Mathematically the real numbers would have to be much higher to make any sense...

Last edited:
The whole thing is a bunch of BS, esp Charlie asking Lifetime to publish their contract. Like any company that deals with various distributors will make their contracts public. When it came time for other carriers to come up for contract they would most likely use that contract as a starting point, even ask for a lesser contract say if they had been paying more per sub that E* is.

I posted this in one of the other Lifetime threads trying to account for the statements made by both sides.

Based on numbers give by both sides, a more likely ballpark scenario is:

Current:
Lifetime - $0.42
LMC - $0.32

First Year: 6% increase ($0.044)
Second Year: 8%
Third Year: 9%

Both channels go from $0.74 current to $0.923 by the end of the third year (25% increase - "not even close to 76%")

Additionally, "Lifetime Real Women" is thrown into the mix with the same annual percentages so the first year looks like:

Lifetime - $0.445
LMC - $0.339
LRW - $0.323

and by the third year:

Lifetime - $0.524
LMC - $0.399
LRW - $0.381

Total: $1.304 (76% increase over the current $0.74)

We don't know the real numbers but don't forget he mentioned 180 contracts to deal with and I don't think anybody will go down on price so a few cents here and a few cents therecan really add up!!!

While it may only be a 4 cent increase, the wildcard here is that Lifetime is trying to force them to carry Lifetime Real Women.

With that 3rd channel added it increases the costs 76% over a 3 year period.

CJPC said:
But that is just me!
Yes, but let's say the average customer will be paying $65 a month after the new price increase: $65 x 12M = $780M per month or $9.3B per year. That 5.76M looks very small compared to the 9.3B in customer revenue.

Using your argument, I'm upset that I have to pay for the 90% of garbage channels I never watch (A&E, BBC America, BET, Bravo, CCTV-9, Comedy Central, E!, Encore WAM, Fox Reality, FX, Galavision, Game Show Network, Lifetime, LMN, Mun2, Sci-Fi, SiTV, Soapnet, Spike TV, Style, TV Guide Channel, WE, CNBC, CNBC World, CNN, G4, MSNBC, NASA, Any Cartoon Channel, MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, CMT, GAC, Fuse, PAX, TV Land, and this is just a start...)

The fact of the matter is the Lifetime channels are very popular and unless we have a la carte programming choices, our subscriber dollars are going to continue funding the vast majority of channels that are of no interest to us. All the above channels are less popular than the Lifetime channel and (based solely on popularity) should be yanked to make room for Lifetime.

Lifetime would lose half their vocal support if their subscribers knew that the reason they lost their Lifetime is over LRW. They would not be protesting to get carriage of LRW on E*.

Exactly how many different "my boyfriend/husband/stranger raped me, and then I killed him because I am now depressed and if I don't take a stand for women everywhere then no one will...", I'm sorry, I mean lifetime threads do we really need on this forum anyway?

Scott Greczkowski said:
While it may only be a 4 cent increase, the wildcard here is that Lifetime is trying to force them to carry Lifetime Real Women.

With that 3rd channel added it increases the costs 76% over a 3 year period.

Now that is a piece of information I didn't know. So the real reason for the contract dispute (and loss of Lifetime and LMN) is they want DISH to carry a THIRD LIFETIME CHANNEL? Ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)