$5 charge for cancelling promo HBO and Showtime package?

abarkl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My online account (activity since last statement) shows that I was charged $5 for cancelling the promo HBO and Showtime package this past week. Is this typical? I contacted Dish via chat on Tuesday and was told the promo would be cancelled. It wasn't done by Wednesday (the final day of my 90 days) twenty-four hours later so I made the change to my account online (I received an email confirmation). The channels were gone by Thursday. Should I dispute the $5 charge?
I'm sick and tired of calling them to dispute charges and to have technical problems fixed! Their system of accounting, billing, and customer service is worse than most cell phone companies. I thought I had found a great service to save money each month over my local cable provider but all I have to show for it is confusion, frustration, and aggravation!

I had same exact thing happen to me. Took awhile for them to finally refund me the $5 cancellation fee. I guess to make up for it, they offered me another HBO/Showtime 3-month free offer. I declined. I knew this same situation would happen again.

if you cancel just make sure you tell them that you had the promo and you want to cancel usually if you tell them that they will waive the fee.

I know this thread is a bit old but my next question would be do you have to wait exactly to the date to cancel?

I have it another 5 days but their's nothing on that I want to watch during the remaining period and I don't want to forget about it and be charged the next month.

My online account (activity since last statement) shows that I was charged $5 for cancelling the promo HBO and Showtime package this past week. Is this typical? I contacted Dish via chat on Tuesday and was told the promo would be cancelled. It wasn't done by Wednesday (the final day of my 90 days) twenty-four hours later so I made the change to my account online (I received an email confirmation). The channels were gone by Thursday. Should I dispute the $5 charge?
I'm sick and tired of calling them to dispute charges and to have technical problems fixed! Their system of accounting, billing, and customer service is worse than most cell phone companies. I thought I had found a great service to save money each month over my local cable provider but all I have to show for it is confusion, frustration, and aggravation!

There is a record of the conversation. Thge CSR is required to make notes of every conversation regarding an account on every call.
Therefore, if you told the CSR you wanted to cancel the movie services, there is a record. If that conversation took place and the order to cancel was received bfore the 90 days, then yes, you have a legitiamte beef.
It's all in the timing.

The chat thing works quite nice. I had the Setanta thing all fixed after a couple of minutes. No menus to scroll through, just a simple quick online chat.
I had same exact thing happen to me. Took awhile for them to finally refund me the $5 cancellation fee. I guess to make up for it, they offered me another HBO/Showtime 3-month free offer. I declined. I knew this same situation would happen again.

Wait a second. You were offered three more months of HBO and Showtime for free? Even if you did have to pay the $5 fee, isn't that $150+ of programming for $5?!

I too tried the online chat for the first time yesterday and I stated I wished to cancel. The rep stated they would set it to automatically expire on the last day and I woudn't be charged the $5 yet....

of course their's a YET when I get an email of the confirmation it shows me now with the 3 movie package deal since I added Starz. I'm really hoping I don't have to call/ chat again and that the come the 11th it will just be showing Starz.

...Wait a second. You were offered three more months of HBO and Showtime for free? Even if you did have to pay the $5 fee, isn't that $150+ of programming for $5?!

Stop making sense and good points, some people here won't be able to handle it! (all though I think it would be more around $60-$70 of free programming, but who's counting)

I canceled three days early about a month ago and was not charged a fee.
I canceled online and got charged the $5, but maybe I was a few days late. (I thought I was a week early.) Anyhow, I won't call up Dish for any reason because I have been getting a $10.08 "Classic Silver with" credit since last July for no apparent reason. (I also get the $10/mo loyalty credit.) Now my old $3/mo credit for having my phone line connected a year ago went away early at about that time too. But $10.08/mo beats the $3/mo credit I was getting, and that should have ended by now too. Hmmm.

I also need an EA dish to get the new HD. You see my predicament?

It would seem that when you canceled online,that triggered the $5. downgrade fee.

at no point an time should you be charged to remove a promotion. The 5 dollar fee is for when you make changes to your account that lessen the amount you pay or even if you make a change and the amount remains the same. Promo's are not included in these scenarios because they are just that promos. You can ask to have them removed when ever you wish. Early or when the promo is over.. the agents aren't allowed to pro actively offer the auto downgrade however so you must ask for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts