5 lnb dish size

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oldguy1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Are the new 5lnb dishes going to be larger than the 22" oval 3lnb dish now used for HD?

I've seen a few comments that it will be about 26". Which would put it about 2" or so larger than the original Phase 2 dishes.

But these are rumors and of course subject to change. ;)

5lnb dish size

I saw a box i was told had one in it at an HSP's warehouse and was told they where going to do some sort of testing with it. Wanted to open it but they would not allow it. It did have some numbers on the box ,although i dont remember any of the numbers and it was marked as contents being a dish assembly.It was Quite a bit larger than a PhaseIII box .If my memory serves me correctly the box was approx. 36x6 inches. I may have to make it a point to stop by and see if they have it set-up yet.

if they are going to be using KU band, they need something like a superdish, which is 36x20

a Phase III size WILL NOT work :)

btw: Ku band recommends at least a 30" for one satellite slot.

Iceberg said:
if they are going to be using KU band, they need something like a superdish, which is 36x20

a Phase III size WILL NOT work :)

btw: Ku band recommends at least a 30" for one satellite slot.

If i were guessing.. to geta good qualit hit on all 5 sats including the 2 KU ones it will have to be about 38x25.... pretty dang big...

I forsee DirectTVs future dish being a "Super Super Dish" :) Its the only way they can use the KA or KU assets that they plan, at least under my understanding.

dish size

If they are going to be that large, thay will be outside the FCC size limits for getting around homeowners association restrictions?

And dish size is what kept me from getting Dish Network!

oldguy1 said:
If they are going to be that large, thay will be outside the FCC size limits for getting around homeowners association restrictions?

FCC law is 1 meter, which is 39.66 inches
Believe me...I deal with HOA all the time. I have a DirecPC, which is 39x23 and it meets the requirements :D

And dish size is what kept me from getting Dish Network!
huh???
Superdish is 36x20, which would meet requirements

Iceberg said:
The KU they are using on 95 (the Int'l), the dish they sell is 36"

I think that the 95 slot is KU-FSS (same as 105 & 121 on E*) while the current main programming on E* and D* (101,110,119) are KU-DBS. KU-FSS does require the larger dish like the Super dish and the larger D* dish for internationals. Spaceway doesn't use KU-FSS or KU-DBS but instead uses the KA band.

Iceberg said:
is KA higher powered than KU?

Well I'm in no way an expert in this stuff, lol, this is just stuff I remembered reading previously, mostly from Dan Collins. IIRC KA doesn't require as large of a dish as even the current KU-DBS signals to get the same amount of gain. However KA is more prone to rain fade so a slightly larger dish would provide about the same signal quality as a current Phase III dish today, which would supposedly be around 26 inches.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The new 5 LNB dish is .66 meters and is elliptical.

-Robert

This post is useless without pics. :D

Seriously, are there any pictures of the new dish anywhere?

So basically the larger size is to pick up more of an arc to pick up more oribital slots and to get a little extra signal strength. This dish will still look quite smaller compared to the SuperDish at 26" and will probably still be able to use the same mast that the current oval dishes and 18" dishes use. I wonder if the switch will be built in. Sure would be nice if Dish Network could come up with a similar type of satellite dish with that many satellite slots as a solution. I know that is what they are trying to do with the 4.5 degree spacing.

all I know is I HOPE that it still has / uses four outputs and works with current multi-switches......... (I do not want to have to run yet MORE wire........)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)