50 cents per show lol

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
So I called directv to cancel service, or rather figure out how much my effect was.... Well during the call he asked who I was going to and why. Long story short he followed with how many TVs shows do we record? Which threw me off a bit, I said idk maybe 10 a day of random stuff plus my mainstream shows. He said well dish will charge me fifty cents per show due to the TiVo law suit. I couldn't help but laugh at the crappy tactics

Just wanted to share.

That is funny, on the other hand I hope this doesn't give dish any ideas......

Sounds kinda like how the cable companies will tell you your satellite service will go out EVERY time it rains or snows.

Sounds kinda like how the cable companies will tell you your satellite service will go out EVERY time it rains or snows.

Yes, they even used that on my when we went to cancel TWC. Recently we had a guy from TWC coming through the neighborhood. He tried to use that argument. Then I told him I had probably lost signal a couple of times in nearly two years for a few minutes at a time. Whereas with TWC, I had equipment reboots that happened frequently and caused 15 minutes or more of lost viewing virtually every week (usually when recording something). Plus when the cable went out it took forever to get back, sometimes not until the next day. My up-time with Dish is significantly higher than with TWC.

Mediacom around here uses that tired old story too! But they seem to forget that when we had the May 2008 100mph winds come through that when the power came back up about a week after the storms, most cable subscribers didn't get cable back for quite a bit longer after that. While us with satellite had TV when the power came on!

When my power goes out (for any significant length of time) I can plug the tv and sat box into a power inverter that runs off the deep cycle battery in my bass boat.
A guy walking his dog knocked on the door and asked "how come you have power and no one else does"?....Funny as hell
If the areas power is out then so is cable (at least around here that's the case)

Last edited:
Mediacom around here uses that tired old story too! But they seem to forget that when we had the May 2008 100mph winds come through that when the power came back up about a week after the storms, most cable subscribers didn't get cable back for quite a bit longer after that. While us with satellite had TV when the power came on!

Same here in Texas after Hurricanes Rita in 05 and Ike in 08. My sister went a month without cable both times. I had satellite tv and ota both hooked up on my dish within an hour of the lights coming back on.

lparsons21 said:

Twice up here. In 2008 for the December Ice Storm and in 2010 for a wind storm. First one took my neighborhood's power for three days, which was short by that storm's standards as people two weeks later were opening Christmas presents by candle light. Power came back and myself and a handful of DirecTV subs were giving scores for football, basketball, and hockey games to the Comcast subs for nearly a week. I was without home phone and internet during that time.
Then when my modem died and Comcast made me take a service appointment to get a replacement, the installer was trying to sell me the horrors of satellite, which I told him that I was on Dish for a few years and only lost my signal during hurricanes. His story changed as I began to show some knowledge, and he admitted that cable uses satellites to gain their signals. He even admitted that Comcast loses its satellite signals as often as satellite customer with excellent LOS. The only difference for them is back up.

When I lost power for that week in May 2008, as soon as it came back on I had both Sat TV and my DSL working. Well, they did have to come and rerun the line, but they had done that before the power came on. Since then, I switched to cable modem because they never got 10mbps DSL working in our area, and in fact now only show 1mbps DSL as being available. :(

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by hudgreen

Yes, they even used that on my when we went to cancel TWC. Recently we had a guy from TWC coming through the neighborhood. He tried to use that argument. Then I told him I had probably lost signal a couple of times in nearly two years for a few minutes at a time. Whereas with TWC, I had equipment reboots that happened frequently and caused 15 minutes or more of lost viewing virtually every week (usually when recording something). Plus when the cable went out it took forever to get back, sometimes not until the next day. My up-time with Dish is significantly higher than with TWC.

You were replying to a post on rain & snow, and then I saw TWC. First thing in my mind was The Weather Channel. Makes more sense as Time Warner Cable.

Since getting a new roof and moving the dish, we have had many fewer outages caused by rain.

I had a sales person come to my door, coincidentally (or maybe not) not long after we did a DIU with Dish...this person started asking me how I like my Dish service and that did I know that AT&T is now the parent company of Dish and that they could offer me more services over Dish's AT300 (!:eek:) plan. I just laughed in the face of this Uverse cold sell and sent her on her way.

You were replying to a post on rain & snow, and then I saw TWC. First thing in my mind was The Weather Channel. Makes more sense as Time Warner Cable.

Since getting a new roof and moving the dish, we have had many fewer outages caused by rain.

Haha, yeah, Time Warner Cable is what I meant. I guess sometimes we shouldn't assume everyone knows what we are trying to write. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts